Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,433

Re: Prospects: MJ vs AD 

Post#41 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:43 am

NinjaSheppard wrote:Funny thing about Anthony Davis

This is what his current coach had to say about his draft class

“I don’t see this deep draft everybody is talking about,’’ Williams said. “I think there are a few players at the top that are really good that can be good players. But I don’t see any Carmelos or LeBrons.’’

Ooh, that's ugly.

Not ugly because he didn't realize Davis would be what he was, so much as he thinks that Carmelo is someone worth talking about as a generational level guy.

Yeah so, still not convinced NO is going to be in good shape while he's there coach.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,433

Post#42 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:48 am

Brenice wrote:
Choker wrote:Anthony Davis would be a senior right now if he stayed in school. If he played out his entire college career he'd be challenging Kareem Abdul Jabbar as the greatest NCAA player of all time.

Lol. And if LeBron or Kobe or KG had went to college for 4 years...

Who was this competition in college Davis faced? You know like Ewing had Olajuwon in the NCAA Finals?

Davis is great, but don't overrate him.

Your logic would have made sense a while ago but think it through now:

The question isn't whether college-senior age Davis is better than college-senior age Ewing...it's whether college-senior age Davis is better than Ewing ever got...and he got a lot better after college.

Perhaps you're a Davis cynic in general, but the time when you could scoff at what Davis could have done in college against GOAT college competition and expect it to resonate was before he started making people ask whether Davis was playing better than anyone else in the world.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Brenice
Banned User
And1: 464

Post#43 » by Brenice » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Brenice wrote:
Choker wrote:Anthony Davis would be a senior right now if he stayed in school. If he played out his entire college career he'd be challenging Kareem Abdul Jabbar as the greatest NCAA player of all time.

Lol. And if LeBron or Kobe or KG had went to college for 4 years...

Who was this competition in college Davis faced? You know like Ewing had Olajuwon in the NCAA Finals?

Davis is great, but don't overrate him.

Your logic would have made sense a while ago but think it through now:

The question isn't whether college-senior age Davis is better than college-senior age Ewing...it's whether college-senior age Davis is better than Ewing ever got...and he got a lot better after college.

Perhaps you're a Davis cynic in general, but the time when you could scoff at what Davis could have done in college against GOAT college competition and expect it to resonate was before he started making people ask whether Davis was playing better than anyone else in the world.

When the topic is "prospect" I'm thinking coming out of college. Ewing was more proven in college, not just from playing 4 years, but the competition he played against during those 4 years. During his 1 year, Davis showed great potential, but the way college ball is watered down now, the competition he played against was lower. Anything after his freshman year is speculation.

And no I'm not a Davis cynic. You probably saw in at least 1 of my posts, that I Davis is great. I still say it is premature to say he compares to Kareem or any of the top big men as a prospect based on a freshman season and weak competition. Case in point, Hakeem Olajuwon. Do you remember him as a freshman? I remember a statue on the bench pretty much. If you eliminate his other years of college ball from memory, what was Olajuwon as a "prospect" after his freshman season? After that 1 season, Olajuwon hadn't shown much. He proved to be a great prospect. A greater prospect than Davis. But that is in hindsight. Davis has a little more proving to me for me to put him on a level of the great college players who went onto have top 15 careers.

And if you want to include Davis' age as the barometer, because he is doing things in the NBA, I have been of the opinion that players coming into the league less experienced is not a good thing for the NBA. The league is less mature, younger. Doesn't mean Davis won't be great, but he has a little more to prove, to me.

Return to Player Comparisons