Male vs Female Athlete Comparison

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

St-Paul
Ballboy
And1: 0

Male vs Female Athlete Comparison 

Post#1 » by St-Paul » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:49 pm

I was just wondering, do you have any examples in mind of an actual competitive game between a WNBA Team and let's say..a men's college team or a men's high school team ?
In order to evaluate the gap existing between male and female basketball athletes.

And also, if Lebron James played in the WNBA, do you think he could win the championships for 10 straight years with the worst teammates in the league ? What would be his stats ?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,798

Re: Male vs Female Athlete Comparison 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:01 pm

I think the best NCAA teams could beat WNBA teams.
LeBron James or any other star in the NBA could win championships for 10 years straight with the worst teammates, but they would never have the worst teammates, because playing with LeBron/Stars would make their teammates much better.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,060

Post#3 » by Laimbeer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:03 pm

A good high school team beats a WNBA team fairly easily. I think smaller high schools v. WNBA team is the most competitive.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,776

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Laimbeer wrote:A good high school team beats a WNBA team fairly easily. I think smaller high schools v. WNBA team is the most competitive.

If you are talking about those private basketball academies, sure. If you are talking about your typical district champs playing with players who actually live in the district and have to meet legitimate eligiblity requirements, I wouldn't be so sure.

The WNBA teams would be light years ahead of the high school boys on offense with infinitely better sets, shooting and consistency. And most high school boys teams don't have enough talented elite athletes to take advantage of the girls playing below the rim.

WNBA team plays zone and makes sure they keep the floor balanced so they can get back and I think they potentially embarrass most boys high school teams. Boys would have to turn the game into a track meet and hope the athleticism advantage carries them. The problem with that is we see in the NBA and major college basketball that skill beats raw athleticism almost every single time.

Those women are better basketball players than you give them credit for.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Im Your Father
Senior
And1: 254

Post#5 » by Im Your Father » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:40 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:A good high school team beats a WNBA team fairly easily. I think smaller high schools v. WNBA team is the most competitive.

If you are talking about those private basketball academies, sure. If you are talking about your typical district champs playing with players who actually live in the district and have to meet legitimate eligiblity requirements, I wouldn't be so sure.

The WNBA teams would be light years ahead of the high school boys on offense with infinitely better sets, shooting and consistency. And most high school boys teams don't have enough talented elite athletes to take advantage of the girls playing below the rim.

WNBA team plays zone and makes sure they keep the floor balanced so they can get back and I think they potentially embarrass most boys high school teams. Boys would have to turn the game into a track meet and hope the athleticism advantage carries them. The problem with that is we see in the NBA and major college basketball that skill beats raw athleticism almost every single time.

Those women are better basketball players than you give them credit for.

Women's NCAA teams regularly recruit men's club basketball players to practice against and regularly lose to them. These men are good players no doubt, probably most of them could have played at the DIII level, but they were certainly not blue chip high school prospects.

It is absolutely true that sill trumps raw athleticism, but the differences between body types here is dramatic. A WNBA team's tallest players may be 6'5 plus, but they would likely be at a significant strength/weight disadvantage, even compared to high school boys of an equivalent height. I think an WNBA team may have a chance against an average high school boys team, (depending on your definition of average) but I tend to think that the boys' strength and speed would be too much for them to overcome.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#6 » by E-Balla » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:23 pm

I went to high school with a top 3 female in the country (before she transfered out to a basketball school) and we had an undefeated girl's varsity squad 2 years in a row (without the top 3 girl one year). In gym class a random team of dudes would run them at half speed and one on one I never lost to any of them or even had a close game really (and I was super short and skinny - just fast).

I'll say an average good high school basketball team could play a close game and an elite high school team would run a WNBA team.

Lebron would destroy the league 10 years straight. He's taller, faster, stronger, bigger, etc. than any of those females.

Remember Venus and Serena lost to the 202nd ranked tennis playing male back to back after he was drinking all night and morning.

An olympic female 100m qualification time is usually around 11.25-11.5. Most high schools have at least one guy who can run that fast (that's including the bottom of the barrel) and most have guys running 11 flat.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#7 » by Johnlac1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:49 pm

The athletic gap between male and females is about ten percent. That means that while there are millions of females who are better athletes than many millions of males, when it gets down to a sport like basketball, it would be difficult to find a team of professional females who could match a team of college-level males. One huge problem is the height and strength gap.
Certainly, pro WNBA teams could beat the majority of boy's high school teams. At that level the height, strength, and athleticism gap would not be so bad (many times in the female's favor), and the female pros would most likely be more skilled. But if you're talking about the top hundred or so boys high school teams, I don't know how the females stop boy's teams with college bound 6'9 to seven footers plus the extra height and speed at the other positions.
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#8 » by Joseph17 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14 pm

Some players like Taurasi and Maya Moore could probably play on division 2 men's teams. Overall I would say that they are on a division 3 level.
This is about the closest thing you'll see to a WNBA team playing an average HS team. I think the WNBA team won by 50 and that team was a non-playoff team at the time.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Mu4WtMkug[/youtube]

Lebron would totally dominate the WNBA and win championships no matter who is on his team. It would be more interesting to see a shorter and less athletic NBA player like Andre Miller play in the WNBA, but there's no doubt in my mind that he'd flat out dominate also and win championships if he was put on the worst team in the league.

Return to Player Comparisons