Is Draymond Green

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Is Draymond Green 

Post#1 » by WESCO » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:29 am

The most versatile defender in the league right now?

Will he end up on the all NBA defensive team?
Nyphantom
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,248

Re: Is Draymond Green 

Post#2 » by Nyphantom » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:35 am

He's versatile but all defensive team? lol
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#3 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:39 am

Tony Allen aka The Grindfather.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Brt19
Bench Warmer
And1: 424

Post#4 » by Brt19 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:05 am

Allen gives up 3 inches to Draymond where Draymond starts as PF. Draymond is more versatile. For the most, Draymond is up there. Kawhi could do what Green does, probably would give better result on guards.
DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,621

Post#5 » by DoubleLintendre » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:20 am

It's sort of nuts to imagine him being one of the best defenders in the league. I mean he was pretty much a prototypical hustle-tweener a few seasons ago, and was chubby too. But right now he's out there for most of the game guarding every sort of player-- it baffles me how much Draymond has improved in 2 seasons.

He is one of the most versatile SFs/PFs in the league right now. He can't pass especially well and doesn't have a consistent jumpshot that isn't a standing 3 pointer, but the difference between him and other versatile SF types is that he can legitimately guard PFs and sometimes Cs with his wide body, tenacity and quickness. In a way he's is a 3&D rebounding PF-- which is a weird combination that somehow works.

Every game he's out there he makes you realize he's a better fit than David Lee in the starting lineup. At this point I almost want to just ship Lee out because Dray/Speights has been so lethal out there. He's been rock solid all around and is looking like the Warriors' 4th best player hands down. To put it in perspective I would rather have Green out on the floor than either Lee or Iggy. (Based on this year's play so far)

If he learned to be a significantly better passer I'd consider him to be in contention to be the most versatile SF around. At the moment he's one the most versatile defenders around, but guys like Dray aren't typically what you imagine when you think "elite defender".

But consider this, how many guys who play PF can switch defending from the best big on the other team to the best guard and defend them both effectively? Would a player like that be considered an elite defender?

EDIT: Trivia Draymond's versatility is probably helped by his 7.1 wingpspan (just looked that up)
Westbreezy
Pro Prospect
And1: 951

Post#6 » by Westbreezy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:23 am

If Draymond gets a $14M/year contract for like 4 years, do the Warriors match?
Not debating the merits of that contract but just how far do you think the W's go to re-sign him?
dub81 wrote:Byron had to do one of two things this year: Either win games or develop the youth. Swung and missed wildly on both.

Lakers 2015-16 Season in a Nutshell
DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by DoubleLintendre » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:25 am

Westbreezy wrote:If Draymond gets a $14M/year contract for like 4 years, do the Warriors match?
Not debating the merits of that contract but just how far do you think the W's go to re-sign him?

I'm 100% the Warriors would match. He's been the glue holding the team together, not Lee or Iggy. Both those guys are looking more expendable by the minute. Lee would trade well. Iggy is still important to the team and could be very important down the stretch into the playoffs.
Atmanne
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,162

Post#8 » by Atmanne » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:40 am

I think he's without a doubt the most versatile defender in the league. Consistently guards all positions more than anyone else.

Overall, I think Kawhi's the standard as far as perimeter defense. But Draymond is asked to guard bigger guys more often, and he exceeds expectations when he does.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#9 » by Tetlak » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:44 am

Luol Deng, Jimmy Butler, LeBron, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard are all extremely versatile as well.
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#10 » by WESCO » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:47 am

In my head Lebron was the only one that immediately came to mind as versatile. Can truly guard 1-5 no problem.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#11 » by NBAfan3024 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:51 am

Love his game. .amazing defender
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#12 » by GYK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:52 am

Most versatile? No. He can defend three positions. Pretty standard for the leagues top defensive players.
I think he should be considered first team. I think he's as good a defender as Butler.

I wonder what the GSW are going to do with him. Certainly going to get double digit contract offers.
Same with Barnes but Lee will be off their books.
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#13 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:00 am

Draymond Green cannot guard legitimate 1's, 2's or 5's for whole games. I mean Marc Gasol would work him like a part-time job. Tony Allen can legitimately guard 1-3's for an entire game and hold them below their averages. What he did to Monta Ellis a couple of days ago was incredible.
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#14 » by killacalijatt » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:04 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Draymond Green cannot guard legitimate 1's, 2's or 5's for whole games. I mean Marc Gasol would work him like a part-time job. Tony Allen can legitimately guard 1-3's for an entire game and hold them below their averages. What he did to Monta Ellis a couple of days ago was incredible.

There is only one Marc Gasol in the league and D Gree. can guard Most 1-5s. Guys a monster just ask Dirk you got his shot rejected TWICE today by him.
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#15 » by killacalijatt » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:04 am

He shohld make all defensive team I dont see why not.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#16 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:06 am

Don't know if any of you paid attention to him in college, but he was a legit defender in college and you could see it then if you really watched him. Even when he was hefty he was a multi-positional defender. I saw some Artest in him back then. In particular with his willingness to guard anyone at any time. Now, he's not on that level, but he's a good, good defender for sure.
Chuck Everett
RealGM

Post#17 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:53 am

Draymond can't guard Duncan. He can't guard Aldridge. He can't guard Cousins. When I think of a defender who can guard them, I am thinking of someone who actually holds guys below their averages. Dirk had 23 points, 8 rebounds on 55% shooting from the floor. Dirk averages 19 ppg on 47%. Seems to me, Dirk still did what he wanted. Sorry, not buying it.
DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by DoubleLintendre » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:55 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Draymond Green cannot guard legitimate 1's, 2's or 5's for whole games. I mean Marc Gasol would work him like a part-time job. Tony Allen can legitimately guard 1-3's for an entire game and hold them below their averages. What he did to Monta Ellis a couple of days ago was incredible.

Well.. Tony Allen is in a league of his own with guarding 1-3.

But how many players in the league can guard 1-5 for the whole game though? Not even Lebron can do that. Gasol is one of the best Cs in the league and works other legit Cs on a nightly basis.

The idea is that Draymond can switch onto most 1-5s and guard them effectively for solid periods of time. This ability limits the opposing team's ability to create mismatches on him. This kind of ability with players being able to handle switches, is why the Warriors as a team are playing great team defense and why we're on this winning streak. Look at the defense from the first half of the Ws and Mavs game for today.

Dray can guard 1-2s decently, 3-4 very good, and Cs fairly good. How many players in the NBA can do that? The variety is the definition of versatile defense.

The topic is "is Draymond Green the most versatile defender in the league" not "is Draymond Green a lockdown defender?"
Hans Embiid
Banned User
And1: 1,217

Post#19 » by Hans Embiid » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:58 am

He is a good defender but the whole Warriors team is clicking right now. I bet he will cool off in the 2nd half of the season.

Anyway the most versatile defenders should be Lebron, Butler and Kawhi.
NaturalBuns
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,463

Post#20 » by NaturalBuns » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:28 am

Green reminds me of pj tucker.

Short but big. Is able to guard tons of positions.
Wouldn't call green a elite defender tho lol
oldscho0led wrote:Baseball is all about momentum. Pirates will carry their winning ways and beat Giants in the Wildcard.

A's over Royals. Lester and experience will prove that he's worth the trade.

Tigers winning it all. Tigers are, imo, peaking at the right time.

Return to Player Comparisons