Is this pretty much the Lock Top 5 Right now?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,325

Is this pretty much the Lock Top 5 Right now? 

Post#1 » by mdonnelly1989 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:46 pm

LBJ
KD
Curry
CP3
Davis
te887848
Starter
And1: 644

Re: Is this pretty much the Lock Top 5 Right now? 

Post#2 » by te887848 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:10 pm

With Westbrook instead of Paul, sure.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:12 pm

LeBron
Durant
Westbrook
Curry
Harden

for me. Davis is a very close 6th
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#4 » by Jaivl » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:29 pm

There isn't such a thing.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#5 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:10 pm

I don't know, I feel like chris paul has regressed this year
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
magicmerl
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#6 » by magicmerl » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:19 pm

So it looks like there's a top 3 and then another 4-5 players in the mix.
Effercon
Pro Prospect
And1: 210

Post#7 » by Effercon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:07 am

Curry
Davis
Harden
LeBron
KD
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,479

Post#8 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:55 pm

mdonnelly1989 wrote:LBJ
KD
Curry
CP3
Davis

There's no lock, since people disagree, but if asked to name the top 5 players in the world, those would be my 5 as well.

Clearly people are feeling a big pull to put Westbrook in, but to me that comes from conflating earlier team success with current individual production. There's absolutely reason to question whether Westbrook can do this new thing without preventing Durant from doing his peak thing when you compare Westbrook as a team-player next to a true point guard like Paul.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#9 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:57 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:I don't know, I feel like chris paul has regressed this year

And understandable feeling, but it's still easy to find metrics where Paul is in competition with Westbrook, and while the Clippers are "a disappointment" they've obviously doing better than Westbrook's team.

bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#10 » by bigboi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:01 am

Doctor MJ wrote:

And understandable feeling, but it's still easy to find metrics where Paul is in competition with Westbrook, and while the Clippers are "a disappointment" they've obviously doing better than Westbrook's team.

That's why advanced stats are complete BS. Anyone can find completely random nonsense metrics and be able to argue their position as to why a player is better. One stat might say the player is worse but with the new addition of random garbage stats, people think that they can say a player is better than another player when they really aren't. Paul hasn't been better than Westbrook this season at all. This is the same dumb argument that Paul fans used MVP Rose's year. His stats are much worse, but his random useless advanced stats are so great. Come on, complete nonsense. Paul hasn't been top 5 at all this year, not even top 10 IMO. My list:

Lebron
KD
Curry
Harden
Westbrook
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#11 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:56 am

bigboi wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

That's why advanced stats are complete BS. Anyone can find completely random nonsense metrics and be able to argue their position as to why a player is better. One stat might say the player is worse but with the new addition of random garbage stats, people think that they can say a player is better than another player when they really aren't. Paul hasn't been better than Westbrook this season at all. This is the same dumb argument that Paul fans used MVP Rose's year. His stats are much worse, but his random useless advanced stats are so great. Come on, complete nonsense. Paul hasn't been top 5 at all this year, not even top 10 IMO. My list:

Lebron
KD
Curry
Harden
Westbrook

Wow, an endangered species here. Someone who dismisses all "advanced stats" together as "BS" more than a decade after the NBA began to transform by using these stats. :wink:

Dude, literally every new stat is based on something real, and thus has a particular meaning. Certainly people can use stats incorrectly, but that's not an issue if you just take the time to understand the stats themselves, and then you can tear down there arguments with something objective.

ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#12 » by ceiling raiser » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:03 am

bigboi wrote:That's why advanced stats are complete BS. Anyone can find completely random nonsense metrics and be able to argue their position as to why a player is better. One stat might say the player is worse but with the new addition of random garbage stats, people think that they can say a player is better than another player when they really aren't. Paul hasn't been better than Westbrook this season at all. This is the same dumb argument that Paul fans used MVP Rose's year. His stats are much worse, but his random useless advanced stats are so great. Come on, complete nonsense. Paul hasn't been top 5 at all this year, not even top 10 IMO.

Had a longer response, but decided to edit and back off a bit.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't think "random" is the proper choice of word here, given what the metrics used on this board most frequently represent.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#13 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:20 am

What's the argument for Westbrook over Cousins? Cousins seems to be better in everyway (well, as best as we can compare a 1 and a 5).
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#14 » by bigboi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:13 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
bigboi wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Lebron
KD
Curry
Harden
Westbrook

Wow, an endangered species here. Someone who dismisses all "advanced stats" together as "BS" more than a decade after the NBA began to transform by using these stats. :wink:

Dude, literally every new stat is based on something real, and thus has a particular meaning. Certainly people can use stats incorrectly, but that's not an issue if you just take the time to understand the stats themselves, and then you can tear down there arguments with something objective.

I don't dismiss every advanced stat as BS, but advanced stats are constantly misused on this forum, it's ridiculous. Also, there are people that do use BS advanced stats. For example, a poster tried to use synergy to try and say that Derrick Rose was the best defender on Chicago. That shows the flaws in advanced stats. I feel like people rely way too much on advanced stats now and try to pull some BS, especially with Chris Paul.
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.

Return to Player Comparisons