Tim Duncan
56%

Total votes: 18

Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Dwight Stoudemire vs. Tim Duncan 

Post#1 » by Jim Naismith » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:20 pm

Dwight Stoudemire is a hybrid that combines the best of Dwight Howard and Amar'e Stoudemire.

Would you take him or Tim Duncan for a single peak season?

Vote for your choice in the above poll.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Re: Dwight Stoudamire vs. Tim Duncan 

Post#2 » by GYK » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:42 pm

Oh yea.
Stats scoring touch with Dwight's finishing and he's as good as Shaq.
Dwight's rebounding is better then Duncan's and the defense is on par if not better.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,716

Post#3 » by GSP » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:51 pm

GYK wrote:Oh yea.
Dwight's rebounding is better then Duncan's and the defense is on par if not better.

What does Amare add to Dwights defense? I dont see anything worth noting
Timmy is still at least a tier better defensively
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,069

Post#4 » by MrBigShot » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:05 pm

GSP wrote:

It's not Amare adding to Dwight's defense, it's Dwight making up for Amare's lack of defense. Orlando Dwight, the 3 time DPOY, is not a tier below Duncan defensively.

Dwight Stoudemire. Better rebounder, every bit the defensive player. Amare has a solid mid range jumper and takes care of Dwight's FT shooting issue. He's also has a much softer touch around the rim. Their combination of athleticism/strength/scoring touch would make for a more dominant player imo.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,716

Post#5 » by GSP » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:08 pm

MrBigShot wrote:
GSP wrote:

It's not Amare adding to Dwight's defense, it's Dwight making up for Amare's lack of defense. Orlando Dwight, the 3 time DPOY, is not a tier below Duncan defensively.

Dwight Stoudemire. Better rebounder, every bit the defensive player. Amare has a solid mid range jumper and takes care of Dwight's FT shooting issue. He's also has a much softer touch around the rim. Their combination of athleticism/strength/scoring touch would make for a more dominant player imo.

Yes he was, Timmy at his best was on Kg and Hakeems level on defense. Dwight was never on that level and the awards dont mean much. Dwight is an alltime defensive player but his competition for those Dpoys compared to Timmy (who got robbed in 07) was minuscule. Dwight isnt winning Dpoy over prime Big Ben, Kg or Deke. Even a past prime Kg was on Orlando Dwights level defensively and Timmy in a few of his twilight years was as well. Hell Timmys arguably better than Dwight this season on defense
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Re: Dwight Stoudemire vs. Tim Duncan 

Post#6 » by trex_8063 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:43 pm

Hmmm..... This certainly makes things interesting.

tbh, I don't think peak Dwight has anything on peak Duncan defensively. In fact, if I'm to give the edge to anyone I'm going with Duncan.

And then offensively, I think peak Amar'e was certainly a better pure scorer than Duncan ever was......but Timmy would still be the more effective passer/playmaker. And Timmy obv no slouch as a scorer himself. His peak scoring year ('02): 33.5 pts per 100 possessions @ +5.6% to league avg TS, while playing a big 40.6 mpg.
I have a "Scorer Rating" formula (is a modification of Moonbeam's Score+ system) which rates Duncan's scoring peak in '02 similarly as Kobe's '06 peak, '14 Stephen Curry, '07 Steve Nash, and '09 Dwyane Wade.......which is to say: really darn good.

Add to these considerations that I think Duncan is (quite obviously, in fact) the better "brain", better lead-by-example star, lends himself better to a "team first" culture, etc.

idk, this one is pretty close overall. I'm not sure that I wouldn't still go with Tim Duncan, though.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,298

Post#7 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:51 pm

Outside of passing, a Dwight / Amare hybrid probably is as close to shaq offensively as we'd ever see. I also think 2011 Dwight matches up pretty well with Duncan defensively. That said, you still have to factor in Duncan's demeanor and approach to the game. I still wouldn't mind rolling the dice with Dwight / Amare, though.
baki
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Post#8 » by baki » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:01 am

Jim Naismith wrote:Dwight Stoudemire is a hybrid that combines the best of Dwight Howard and Amar'e Stoudemire.

Would you take him or Tim Duncan for a single peak season?

Vote for your choice in the above poll.

This comparison is really bizarre, it ranks up there with David Jordan, a hybrid between David Robinson and Michael Jordan.

What is the point of it?
* Since 1985, Jeremy Lin became one of 15 players to have scored at least 20 points, seven assists and a steal for six games in a row, including 136 points in 5 starts beating out Iverson, Jordan and O'Neal :D
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#9 » by Jaivl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:30 am

How many brains does Dwight Stoudemire have?
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#10 » by GYK » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:31 am

GSP wrote:

Amare adds nothing to Dwight's defense.
Dwight is all the defense needed. No PF to help out. Prime Dwight is the sole big needed to lead a top five defense.
KyletheDingbat
Veteran
And1: 1,656

Post#11 » by KyletheDingbat » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:38 pm

Athleticism and talent go to Dwight Stoudemire in a landslide.

Brain still goes to Duncan in an even larger landslide.

Duncan wins.
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Jim Naismith » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:29 pm

Despite the "mental midget" and "Dwight Coward" criticism, Dwight has performed pretty well in the playoffs.

2011 Dwight RS: 22.9 ppg/ 14.1 rpg / .616 TS % / 26.1 PER
2011 Dwight PS: 27.0 ppg/ 15.5 rpg / .677 TS% / 26.1 PER

Now that's with Dwight shooting 60% from the line. (He actually shot 68% in the playoffs).

Dwight Stoudemire shoots 80% from the line and has a better fast-break and midrange game. (Hack-a-Howard strategy now doesn't work.)

So in the playoffs, you're looking at a 30 ppg / 15 ppg / .700 TS% center with DPOY defense.

Now Duncan has a huge edge in passing, but I'm not sure it can make up for Dwight Stoudemire's edge in scoring and efficiency.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#13 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:32 pm

Duncan still. Both Dwight and Amara are still injury prone.
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Jim Naismith » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:42 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:Duncan still. Both Dwight and Amara are still injury prone.

This is for only a single peak season.

Dwight played every game in his first 4 seasons and missed only 7 games total in his first 7 seasons.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#15 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:44 pm

Jim Naismith wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Duncan still. Both Dwight and Amara are still injury prone.

This is for only a single peak season.

Dwight played every game in his first 4 seasons and missed only 7 games total in his first 7 seasons.

oh opps... i would still take Duncan.

Return to Player Comparisons