The Lebron Thread (2014-15 Pt. 3)

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Re: The Lebron Thread (2014-15 Pt. 3) 

Post#1041 » by SideshowBob » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:29 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_9AoLgjJkU[/youtube]
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#1042 » by LikeABosh » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:34 am

All 14 baskets in the 3rd quarter were assisted
J Shuttlesworth
Rookie
And1: 1,601

Post#1043 » by J Shuttlesworth » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:54 am

Cavs have the 5th best record in the league. They just past portland... by .001 though lol
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,141

Post#1044 » by PaulieWal » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:57 am

When it's all said and done I am sure we are looking at GSW/Spurs/Cavs/Hawks as the last 4 teams standing.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Post#1045 » by BasketballFan7 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:11 am

:cry:
Nitro1118 wrote:
SideshowBob wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:Is it me or is he struggling to create good shots this year compared to the past two years? Relatively.

Specifically from the top of the key.

Off the dribble from the top? Nah, he might be even better right now. I think he's been able to get into the paint/to the rim with even more ease than before, he has looked more explosive to me (closer to 08-10 than Miami years). BUT he's certainly settling a lot more, that I'll agree on 100%. Ability-wise I don't see a decline at all (talking about January-present), if anything he looks a tad bit better.

Compared to 12-14, he's definitely getting a lot fewer triple-threat and post-up opportunities, which were foundational to his game in the last few Miami years. This year its almost all from the top as the primary initiator.

I agree that his explosiveness is a bit better this year, but with his jumper being shakier, leaping ability a bit less, and his turnovers being a big issue, I have seen a noticable dropoff in his ability to create great looks from the top of the key.

More importantly, as you mentioned, he's getting the ball less in motion as well as his sweet spots near the elbow and the post. Hopefully that is a bigger focus for him in May and June, but even though he's still scoring well overall this year, I've noticed a significant drop in consistently putting up big-time scoring games this season (in both volume and efficiency).

I honestly think he doesnt want to bang his body around too much until the playoffs. when he destroyed the warriors a while back he was going to the post every time down the court. Completely unstoppable. But i havent seen much of that this year.

Seems to me that protecting his back takes presedence
FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning
J Shuttlesworth
Rookie
And1: 1,601

Post#1046 » by J Shuttlesworth » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:02 am

LeBron's stats against the West since Jan 13th:

29/6.9/6.5 on 50.8% shooting
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#1047 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:47 am

Here's a fun challenge

Predict their record if they never made the Iman, Moz, and Smith Trade.
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#1048 » by JulesWinnfield » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:40 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:Here's a fun challenge

It's tough to say. The trades obviously made them better, but the cavs were also starting to play very well even before the trades until Lebron took his injury break. They were figuring things out after the 5-7 start and were 13-4 over the next 17 games Lebron appeared in before going into total free fall mode when he took the 2 weeks off (they made the trades during that 2 week window as well). They were vital moves though and made a complete roster out of one that was still a work in progress. They needed mozgov's size desperately, and the Knicks trade was a home run on so many levels (wing depth, wing defense, floor spacing and team chemistry as Lebron appears to have really taken to JR and Shump).

It's tough to put a number of wins directly tied to the trades. I'd say without the deals they'd still be within 5 games of their current record. But this is now a clearly more dangerous and more matchup diverse team come playoff time.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,082

Post#1049 » by mademan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:45 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:

It's tough to say. The trades obviously made them better, but the cavs were also starting to play very well even before the trades until Lebron took his injury break. They were figuring things out after the 5-7 start and were 13-4 over the next 17 games Lebron appeared in before going into total free fall mode when he took the 2 weeks off (they made the trades during that 2 week window as well). They were vital moves though and made a complete roster out of one that was still a work in progress. They needed mozgov's size desperately, and the Knicks trade was a home run on so many levels (wing depth, wing defense, floor spacing and team chemistry as Lebron appears to have really taken to JR and Shump).

It's tough to put a number of wins directly tied to the trades. I'd say without the deals they'd still be within 5 games of their current record. But this is now a clearly more dangerous and more matchup diverse team come playoff time.

I dont know about that. They were playing well when Andy was healthy. A love/TT frontcourt being backed up by haywood is a .500 team, imo. Too many teams would pummel them on the boards and in the interior
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#1050 » by JulesWinnfield » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:00 pm

mademan wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:

I dont know about that. They were playing well when Andy was healthy. A love/TT frontcourt being backed up by haywood is a .500 team, imo. Too many teams would pummel them on the boards and in the interior

They wouldn't be any worse on the boards than the Miami teams of the last couple years which were historically dreadful for a contender. I don't believe a team with Lebron/kyrie/love is playing .500 ball over a long sample even thin as they were upfront. These moves to me will pay bigger dividends in the playoffs because it makes them more matchup diverse, but I don't think they would have much issue racking up regular season wins. They are 28-7 since Lebron came back, without making those moves I think 23-12 is more than attainable, which would put them within 5 games of where they currently stand
Superbasketball
Senior
And1: 128

Post#1051 » by Superbasketball » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:07 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:
mademan wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:

They wouldn't be any worse on the boards than the Miami teams of the last couple years which were historically dreadful for a contender. I don't believe a team with Lebron/kyrie/love is playing .500 ball over a long sample even thin as they were upfront. These moves to me will pay bigger dividends in the playoffs because it makes them more matchup diverse, but I don't think they would have much issue racking up regular season wins. They are 28-7 since Lebron came back, without making those moves I think 23-12 is more than attainable, which would put them within 5 games of where they currently stand

Not sure, without the trade they did not look good. I would doubt they even make it to the finals. Mozgov makes a big difference, having JR as another shooter and Shumpert who can defend add up to a big difference. It did look worse than it probably was because Lebron took two weeks off. Not sure maybe if Love was intergrated, it would be different.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,082

Post#1052 » by mademan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:16 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:
mademan wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:

But Miami's defense was still very good. These guys would be starting James Jones or Mike Miller and playing both big minutes. Lebron would have to play huge minutes, their bench wouldnt be able to hold any leads whatsoever and their offense would take a hit without having Moz there to rebound/TT coming off the bench to focus on offensive rebounds. It's not just removing Moz/Shump/JR, it's about who replaces them.

They go from an athletic team that's very good on the boards and elite defensively to being terrible defensively and poor on the boards and lacking athleticism from multiple positions
Superbasketball
Senior
And1: 128

Post#1053 » by Superbasketball » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:22 pm

One interesting thing is homecourt advantage. Cavs have 47 wins and can catch Memphis and only not have homecourt vs Hawks and GS. If Cavs have homecourt this is what they may need to have the edge over a possible western finals team like the Spurs. Cavs are really good at home, I think they haven't lost at home with Lebron since he returned.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#1054 » by PCProductions » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:36 pm

Kevin Love was a machine last night. Killed them with the three, post ups, passes to cutters. I hope some semblance of that comes around in the playoffs, because the Cavs will not lose a game with him playing like that.
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant

Post#1055 » by JulesWinnfield » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:38 pm

mademan wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:
mademan wrote:

But Miami's defense was still very good. These guys would be starting James Jones or Mike Miller and playing both big minutes. Lebron would have to play huge minutes, their bench wouldnt be able to hold any leads whatsoever and their offense would take a hit without having Moz there to rebound/TT coming off the bench to focus on offensive rebounds. It's not just removing Moz/Shump/JR, it's about who replaces them.

They go from an athletic team that's very good on the boards and elite defensively to being terrible defensively and poor on the boards and lacking athleticism from multiple positions

In the alternate universe where they don't make the deals they would still have waiters. While he wasn't the best fit and I'm not a fan of his game, they're not playing miller and jones as many minutes as I think you assert. I don't think you account for his presence. Your points about them being a poor defensive team are well taken, but this was true of them even as they were winning games post 5-7 start. Even with a healthy varejao (who really didn't have a positive impact this year defensively) they never approached playing anything resembling even average level team defense, but offensively their ceiling could over power teams (and we began to see that before Lebrons health break). I really don't agree that they would be a poor rebounding team either, even though they'd be playing small with love and TT at the 4/5, both those guys are top 20 in the league in rebound %. They'd make for a soft interior defense, but they'd hold their own on the glass
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,276

Post#1056 » by Jedi32 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:07 pm

LikeABosh all wrote:[quot e="Jedi32"]W hy do some people seem shocked by the Cavs dominance? You have three franchise players in their primes and unlike Miami they also have a good bench and a good center. Isn't this what we all expected when lebron went home and love joined him and Kyrie?

Is it? It seemed like everyone was writing them off because Kyrie/Love apparently don't play any defense and they've never been in the playoffs.[/quote]
Those were people hoping it didn't work out imo. Kyrie,Bron and love are all to good for it not to work out
LikeABosh
RealGM

Post#1057 » by LikeABosh » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:43 pm

No Moz would mean trouble. Probably a lot of small ball. I'd say 40-32
LikeABosh
RealGM

Post#1058 » by LikeABosh » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Jedi32 wrote:Those were people hoping it didn't work out imo. Kyrie,Bron and love are all to good for it not to work out

Yeah, you're probably right. The basketball fanbase tends to make pre-season predictions based on what they want to happen
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#1059 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:50 pm

LeBron complaining about love not getting with the program after blowing out Memphis in Memphis

Or click bait that Isola is pushing.

Hmmm wonder which one it is?
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,276

Post#1060 » by Jedi32 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:50 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
Jedi32 wrote:Those were people hoping it didn't work out imo. Kyrie,Bron and love are all to good for it not to work out

Yeah, you're probably right. The basketball fanbase tends to make pre-season predictions based on what they want to happen

I'm sure you remember how everyone wanted you guys to fail when the big 3 got together, but in the end those three guys were just way to talented not to win. Now I'm not saying that Kyrie and love are better than wade and bosh, but they have more than enough talent to look dominant in the regular season and at least make some noise in the playoffs.

Return to Player Comparisons