Five players RealGM forgot

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

MrKnox
Banned User
And1: 344

Five players RealGM forgot 

Post#1 » by MrKnox » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:25 pm

Name five players from back in the day that RealGM never really mentions. Not necessarily great players but good, solid pros whose game you admired, players you wish youngsters could've seen. Here's my five:

1. Jeff Malone
2. Dale Ellis
3. Rolando Blackman (Dallas version)
4. Jeff Ruland
5. Bernard King
Rich Michmond
Sixth Man
And1: 2,971
Location: российско-немецкий кондоминиум под еврейским доверительным управлением

Re: Five players RealGM forgot 

Post#2 » by Rich Michmond » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:29 pm

1. Jack Sikma
2. Tom Chambers
3. Terry Cummings
4. Fat Lever
5. Kiki Vandeweghe
Gordon Haywood, Dwayne Wade, JJ Reddick, Derek Rose, Derrick Fisher, Lenny Wilkins, Kirk Heinrich, Oscar Robinson, DeMar DeRozen, Andre Iguadola, Pascal Siakim, Malcolm Brogdan
MrKnox
Banned User

Post#3 » by MrKnox » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Rich Michmond wrote:1. Jack Sikma
2. Tom Chambers
3. Terry Cummings
4. Fat Lever
5. Kiki Vandeweghe

People remember Chambers for his epic throw down on Mark Jackson but forget that the dude could really play. His career high in a game was 60. Kiki was a nice player too. Had a perimeter game and could put the ball on the floor for those one handed dunks he always threw down. Terry Cummings was a pro's pro and Fat Lever would be a superstar today since the game favors players with his versatility. Picture a Rondo type who could actually shoot. Nice list!
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#4 » by tsherkin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:09 pm

MrKnox wrote:Name five players from back in the day that RealGM never really mentions. Not necessarily great players but good, solid pros whose game you admired, players you wish youngsters could've seen. Here's my five:

1. Jeff Malone
2. Dale Ellis
4. Jeff Ruland
5. Bernard King

Mmmm. Dale Ellis gets mentioned from time to time. Bernard King gets mentioned semi-regularly, particularly around Detroit and New York threads, but he gets penalized because he was a drunk and then he was injured, so his career was comparatively short and he never even reached 20,000 points because of his absence from games.

Jeff Malone is mostly an irrelevant player, but he gets mentioned now and again. I mentioned him earlier today in a Utah thread, actually. Ultimately recall that you're talking about a small scoring guard who was only a two-time All-Star and didn't play on any especially incredible teams. His biggest contribution as getting traded for Jeff Hornacek. Outside of 91, he wasn't stunningly efficient, but he was a mega low-turnover guy, so he ended up looking good per-possession. Kinda not awesome in the playoffs with the Bullets.

He's not forgotten in the sense that you imply, because he never really did much worthy of remembrance.

Rolando Blackman could do with more mention, and perhaps the Dallas edition of Mark Aguirre (who gets mentioned mainly in the context of Pistons titles).

McNasty could be mentioned more, but again, you're talking about a 2-time All-Star who had six seasons (3 healthy) before retiring, and then game back to play two dozen games over two years later on.

It is utterly unsurprising that he doesn't get mentioned. The more so when you realize that he played for the Bullets who, during his career, were mostly muddling ~ .500 teams. Not exactly the stuff from which legends are born, you know?

2. Tom Chambers
3. Terry Cummings
4. Fat Lever
5. Kiki Vandeweghe

Sikma and Chambers get mentioned now and again. Cummings gets mentioned when we talk about D-Rob's support squads. Kiki is occasionally mentioned, mostly when we talk about English and the 80s Nuggets. Fats Lever could get more pub.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by tsherkin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:10 pm

I'd add...

1. Buck Williams
2. Paul Pressey
3. Walt Bellamy
4. Mitch Richmond

And

5. Chris Mullin

The last two to a lesser extent, of course, but they could use more pub. Gervin, as well.
MrKnox
Banned User

Post#6 » by MrKnox » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:17 pm

tsherkin wrote:
MrKnox wrote:Name five players from back in the day that RealGM never really mentions. Not necessarily great players but good, solid pros whose game you admired, players you wish youngsters could've seen. Here's my five:

1. Jeff Malone
2. Dale Ellis
4. Jeff Ruland
5. Bernard King

Mmmm. Dale Ellis gets mentioned from time to time. Bernard King gets mentioned semi-regularly, particularly around Detroit and New York threads, but he gets penalized because he was a drunk and then he was injured, so his career was comparatively short and he never even reached 20,000 points because of his absence from games.

Jeff Malone is mostly an irrelevant player, but he gets mentioned now and again. I mentioned him earlier today in a Utah thread, actually. Ultimately recall that you're talking about a small scoring guard who was only a two-time All-Star and didn't play on any especially incredible teams. His biggest contribution as getting traded for Jeff Hornacek. Outside of 91, he wasn't stunningly efficient, but he was a mega low-turnover guy, so he ended up looking good per-possession. Kinda not awesome in the playoffs with the Bullets.

He's not forgotten in the sense that you imply, because he never really did much worthy of remembrance.

Rolando Blackman could do with more mention, and perhaps the Dallas edition of Mark Aguirre (who gets mentioned mainly in the context of Pistons titles).

McNasty could be mentioned more, but again, you're talking about a 2-time All-Star who had six seasons (3 healthy) before retiring, and then game back to play two dozen games over two years later on.

It is utterly unsurprising that he doesn't get mentioned. The more so when you realize that he played for the Bullets who, during his career, were mostly muddling ~ .500 teams. Not exactly the stuff from which legends are born, you know?

2. Tom Chambers
3. Terry Cummings
4. Fat Lever
5. Kiki Vandeweghe

Sikma and Chambers get mentioned now and again. Cummings gets mentioned when we talk about D-Rob's support squads. Kiki is occasionally mentioned, mostly when we talk about English and the 80s Nuggets. Fats Lever could get more pub.

Well like I said, not necessarily great players but solid pros. I guess those players stick out in my mind because they were in their primes during my formative years of NBA watching in the '80's.
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#7 » by lorak » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:21 pm

Bill Sharman, Steve Jones (definition of clutch in the ABA), Mark Price, Detlef Schrempf and Sarunas Marciulionis.
MrKnox
Banned User

Post#8 » by MrKnox » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:23 pm

tsherkin wrote:I'd add...

1. Buck Williams
2. Paul Pressey
3. Walt Bellamy
4. Mitch Richmond

And

5. Chris Mullin

The last two to a lesser extent, of course, but they could use more pub. Gervin, as well.

Buck Williams was a solid pro who actually beat out Isiah Thomas for ROTY in '81-'82. Pressey was a nice player who gets lost because he played with so many solid pros on those Bucks teams (Sikma, Cummings, Moncrief, Hodges, Ricky Pierce etc.). Young Richmond is pretty much forgotten as well. I don't think Mullin is forgotten at all but his prime is definitely taken for granted. Dude was putting up numbers from '89-'92 that would be MVP caliber today.
justinian
Bench Warmer
And1: 93

Post#9 » by justinian » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:26 pm

- Walter Davis
- Zelmo Beaty
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by tsherkin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:28 pm

lorak wrote:Bill Sharman, Steve Jones (definition of clutch in the ABA), Mark Price, Detlef Schrempf and Sarunas Marciulionis.

Sharman isn't a bad call at all. Price gets mentioned semi-regularly in basically all Stockton/Nash-type discussions.

Schrempf is a fantastic add. Marciulionis was of note for like a year and a half for the Warriors in the early 90s, not really long enough to make an impact on the minds of most. Pretty wicked bench player before that, I guess, but it's not something that lends him to memory.

MrKnox wrote:Buck Williams was a solid pro who actually beat out Isiah Thomas for ROTY in '81-'82. Pressey was a nice player who gets lost because he played with so many solid pros on those Bucks teams (Sikma, Cummings, Moncrief, Hodges, Ricky Pierce etc.). Young Richmond is pretty much forgotten as well. I don't think Mullin is forgotten at all but his prime is definitely taken for granted. Dude was putting up numbers from '89-'92 that would be MVP caliber today.

Mullin was nasty, no doubt. And yes, I agree, he isn't exactly forgotten, but he doesn't grab as much respect as he should. He was basically better than the very best of Glen Rice with the pulled-in 3pt line, but with better passing, and for a stretch of several years instead of a single season... but he doesn't really come to mind when people talk about 90s scorers and all that. He even has the nice narrative of recovering from his alcoholism to become a workout freak and so forth.
MrKnox
Banned User

Post#11 » by MrKnox » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:30 pm

lorak wrote:Bill Sharman, Steve Jones (definition of clutch in the ABA), Mark Price, Detlef Schrempf and Sarunas Marciulionis.

I loved Mark Price. Quick as any PG ever and could shoot the lights out (50/40/90). Also, maybe the quickest trigger in the league (along with Del Curry). Sarunas Marciulionis!!!! That's what I'm talking about. Totally forgot about him. Dude was strong as an ox and used to drive to the hoop like his life depended on it. It's amazing those Warriors teams didn't do anything worth noting, especially if you consider they had Mullin, Richmond, Hardaway and Marciulunios all in their primes and coached by Don Nelson nonetheless. Crazy.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#12 » by Quotatious » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Dale Ellis and especially Bernard King get mentioned fairly often (King is very highly regarded for his '84 and '85 peak seasons). Definitely agree about Jeff Malone, Rolando Blackman and especially Jeff Ruland (very interesting player).

I would like to add Dan Roundfield (Shawn Marion type player - great, versatile defender, excellent rebounder, despite being an undersized PF and capable scorer). Once even finished 5th in the MVP voting (1980), multiple All-Defensive team selections. I'm probably the only poster who ever mentioned him on this board. :lol:

Gus "The Wizard" Williams and Micheal Ray Richardson, too.

I don't think Terry Cummings gets mentioned that often...Recently I watched MJ's second game in the NBA, Oct. 27th at Milwaukee, and Cummings really took over in the 4th quarter. Excellent midrange shooter, good all-around player.

Hersey Hawkins was a very good scorer/shooter, on Barkley's Sixers in the early 90s (Rolando Blackman level player).

Paul Westphal is another. Great offensive player, very efficient scorer, good playmaker. He and Walter Davis combined for a great offensive backcourt in Phoenix in the late 70s.

Finally, David Thompson. His peak (1978) was very comparable to Vince Carter's (2001). Both were electrifying scorers and dunkers, solid all-around players.

Edit - oh, and Orlando Woolridge...What a fun player to watch he was.
MrKnox
Banned User

Post#13 » by MrKnox » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Here's a few more:

1. Robert Pack. A 6'2" dynamo who used to throw down some insane dunks that would make Westbrook smile.
2. Chris Jackson (before he changed his name and got blacklisted). Dude could shoot and score and would light up this era I believe.
3. Dennis Johnson. Gets forgotten because he wasn't part of the "Big Three" but was a great defensive player and solid offensive player who got little respect because he had a boring earthbound game.
4. Danny Roundfield. Nice all around player who is totally forgotten. Five All Defensive teams. 6'8", 215 lbs. Great defensive player who toiled in obscurity (ATL) during the NBA dark ages and then got buried by Dominique's shadow from '82 on.
5. Reggie Lewis. A poor man's MJ who could've been a HOF level player if he didn't die young. Hardly gets mentioned anymore. Dude had more talent than Ron Harper and maybe even as much as Clyde.
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#14 » by lorak » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:45 pm

MrKnox wrote:[ Sarunas Marciulionis!!!! That's what I'm talking about. Totally forgot about him. Dude was strong as an ox .

True, true ;] Even in early 90s, when players didn't work out as they do now, he was built very well:

MrKnox
Banned User

Post#15 » by MrKnox » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:53 pm

Quotatious wrote:Dale Ellis and especially Bernard King get mentioned fairly often (King is very highly regarded for his '84 and '85 peak seasons). Definitely agree about Jeff Malone, Rolando Blackman and especially Jeff Ruland (very interesting player).

I would like to add Dan Roundfield (Shawn Marion type player - great, versatile defender, excellent rebounder, despite being an undersized PF and capable scorer). Once even finished 5th in the MVP voting (1980), multiple All-Defensive team selections. I'm probably the only poster who ever mentioned him on this board. :lol:

Gus "The Wizard" Williams and Micheal Ray Richardson, too.

I don't think Terry Cummings gets mentioned that often...Recently I watched MJ's second game in the NBA, Oct. 27th at Milwaukee, and Cummings really took over in the 4th quarter. Excellent midrange shooter, good all-around player.

Hersey Hawkins was a very good scorer/shooter, on Barkley's Sixers in the early 90s (Rolando Blackman level player).

Paul Westphal is another. Great offensive player, very efficient scorer, good playmaker. He and Walter Davis combined for a great offensive backcourt in Phoenix in the late 70s.

Finally, David Thompson. His peak (1978) was very comparable to Vince Carter's (2001). Both were electrifying scorers and dunkers, solid all-around players.

Edit - oh, and Orlando Woolridge...What a fun player to watch he was.

LOL. You mentioned Dan Roundfield right before I did. I thought I was the only one who remembered him. :D
CumberlandPosey
Pro Prospect
And1: 585

Post#16 » by CumberlandPosey » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:05 pm

I really love this place and been reading since the start basically,even made an account once to make a search for something.Its a real sophisticated place for basketball talk if you can read through all the gimmickry and sensationalism and obvious agendas.it still educates me everyday and im thankful for that but the whole oldschool barely gets mentioned here if you ask me.all those former greats seem to be forgotten which is "sad".basketball is evolution,players get better every generation.im sure bird or durant will be looked upon as slow moving relicts from the past in some not so distant future.long story short here are some "forgotten" names that dont get mentioned here that often...

Fat Jenkins
Marques Haynes
Davey Banks-the original flash
Leroy Edwards aka Cowboy
Maurice Stokes
"Goose" Tatum
Ed Henderson
Cum Posey
Tarzan Cooper
Ed Wachter
Chris Leonard
Sonny Boswell
Alex Groza
Bobby McDermott
Charlie Shipp
Joe Lapchick
Johnny Beckman
John Wooden
Benny Borgmann
Barney Sedran
Max "Marty" Friedman
Bob Davies
Chuck Cooper
Hudson Oliver
Benny Hill
CaliBullsFan
Banned User
And1: 244

Post#17 » by CaliBullsFan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:08 pm

Wayman Tisdale
Danny Manning
Kevin Willis
Vin Baker
Xavier McDaniel

Just the overall lost art of back to the basket scoring. I feel like these guys would be unique superstars if they played today
MrKnox
Banned User

Post#18 » by MrKnox » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:13 pm

CumberlandPosey wrote:I really love this place and been reading since the start basically,even made an account once to make a search for something.Its a real sophisticated place for basketball talk if you can read through all the gimmickry and sensationalism and obvious agendas.it still educates me everyday and im thankful for that but the whole oldschool barely gets mentioned here if you ask me.all those former greats seem to be forgotten which is "sad".basketball is evolution,players get better every generation.im sure bird or durant will be looked upon as slow moving relicts from the past in some not so distant future.long story short here are some "forgotten" names that dont get mentioned here that often...

Fat Jenkins
Marques Haynes
Davey Banks-the original flash
Leroy Edwards aka Cowboy
Maurice Stokes
"Goose" Tatum
Ed Henderson
Cum Posey
Tarzan Cooper
Ed Wachter
Chris Leonard
Sonny Boswell
Alex Groza
Bobby McDermott
Charlie Shipp
Joe Lapchick
Johnny Beckman
John Wooden
Benny Borgmann
Barney Sedran
Max "Marty" Friedman
Bob Davies
Chuck Cooper
Hudson Oliver
Benny Hill

I'm 41 years old and I only recognize eight names on your list. The only Benny Hill I know is the old, deceased British comedian. LOL.
MrKnox
Banned User

Post#19 » by MrKnox » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:20 pm

CaliBullsFan wrote:Wayman Tisdale
Danny Manning
Kevin Willis
Vin Baker
Xavier McDaniel

Just the overall lost art of back to the basket scoring. I feel like these guys would be unique superstars if they played today

Tisdale was a nice player who was probably too nice (personality wise) for his own good. May have been better if he had a nasty streak. I remember Kevin Willis for three reasons: He was first team All NBA for his physique, he played until he was 94 and he had arms shorter than a T-Rex. Vin Baker is a sad story. Dude could've been great, great, great but was a head case and eventually an alcoholic. X-Man was fun. One of the '80's tough guys and shaved his head long before MJ made it cool. Never saw him back down to anyone....except Charles Oakley once. LOL.
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,947

Post#20 » by SHAQ32 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:48 pm

Chuck Person - One of the top perimeter shooters/scorers of his era. Great trash talker who had some battles against Bird. I think off the court issues, with his weight kept him from having longevity and receiving more notoriety.
Mookie Blaylock - Had some awesome years in Atlanta. One of the best defensive PGs of his era.
Derrick McKey - Versatile Point-Foward/defender - could guard 2s, 3s and 4s.
Rony Seikaly - Had some really good years for the Heat. Was overshadowed by all the great Centers of that era.
Dale Davis - one of the greatest offensive rebounders in NBA history. In the mold of a Buck WIlliams.

Return to Player Comparisons