35%

Total votes: 62

parapooper
Sixth Man
And1: 912

Re: Rank 2001 Kobe in today's NBA 

Post#81 » by parapooper » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:18 pm

G35 wrote:
microfib4thewin wrote:Kobe converting a higher percentage on more attempts can be explained by him working on outside shots more as he got older. Do players not get better as they make their way to age 30?

That's my whole point. A younger Kobe in his athletic prime and players now are taught to work on their 3PT shot. So why wouldn't 2001 Kobe improve his 3PT shooting? If he had been told to shoot nothing but 3's and get fouled his efficiency would improve. That's what all these guys are doing currently.....

3pt% in the league was slightly higher in 01 than now. If it's not generally better, why would it be for Kobe?
His eFG on all his FGAs in 01 was higher than his eFG on 3pters only, so if he had taken only 3s and FTs his efficiency would have gotten worse.
CaliBullsFan
Banned User
And1: 244

Post#82 » by CaliBullsFan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Quotatious wrote:You guys know what is unfair? Mentioning Kobe's playoff run while we're still in March, so before the 2015 stars even had a chance to play their first playoff game. Of course it's going to skew people's perception in Bryant's favor.

Kobe in 01 was a LEGENDARY playoff run. The only guys that have had playoff runs as good or better than 01 Kobe are Duncan and Lebron so I think its safe that no player in 2015 is going to come even close.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#83 » by Quotatious » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:25 pm

CaliBullsFan wrote:Kobe in 01 was a LEGENDARY playoff run. The only guys that have had playoff runs as good or better than 01 Kobe are Duncan and Lebron so I think its safe that no player in 2015 is going to come even close.

Okay, even if it was legendary, it's still unfair to use that as an argument in his favor before we had a chance to see the 2015 stars perform in the playoffs. I don't think a lot of people expected Kobe to play so well in the 2001 playoffs, either, so let's wait and get back to this thread in June.
Bruh Man
Analyst
And1: 743

Post#84 » by Bruh Man » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:27 pm

CaliBullsFan wrote:
Quotatious wrote:You guys know what is unfair? Mentioning Kobe's playoff run while we're still in March, so before the 2015 stars even had a chance to play their first playoff game. Of course it's going to skew people's perception in Bryant's favor.

Kobe in 01 was a LEGENDARY playoff run. The only guys that have had playoff runs as good or better than 01 Kobe are Duncan and Lebron so I think its safe that no player in 2015 is going to come even close.

Agreed, we would be seeing the Kobe/Lebron finals that many wanted to see if Lakers had a good team around him.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#85 » by PaulieWal » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:28 pm

Quotatious wrote:
CaliBullsFan wrote:Kobe in 01 was a LEGENDARY playoff run. The only guys that have had playoff runs as good or better than 01 Kobe are Duncan and Lebron so I think its safe that no player in 2015 is going to come even close.

Okay, even if it was legendary, it's still unfair to use that as an argument in his favor before we had a chance to see the 2015 stars perform in the playoffs. I don't think a lot of people expected Kobe to play so well in the 2001 playoffs, either, so let's wait and get back to this thread in June.

This.

Also, why is it not possible that Curry, LeBron, Paul, and Harden could lead their teams to a title this year with some great performances along the way?
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,752

Post#86 » by G35 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:57 pm

parapooper wrote:
G35 wrote:
microfib4thewin wrote:Kobe converting a higher percentage on more attempts can be explained by him working on outside shots more as he got older. Do players not get better as they make their way to age 30?

That's my whole point. A younger Kobe in his athletic prime and players now are taught to work on their 3PT shot. So why wouldn't 2001 Kobe improve his 3PT shooting? If he had been told to shoot nothing but 3's and get fouled his efficiency would improve. That's what all these guys are doing currently.....

3pt% in the league was slightly higher in 01 than now. If it's not generally better, why would it be for Kobe?
His eFG on all his FGAs in 01 was higher than his eFG on 3pters only, so if he had taken only 3s and FTs his efficiency would have gotten worse.

Because the league/Kobe did not prioritize the 3pt shot like they do now. I think that point is escaping you.

It's like the whole QB's are better now because they have better efficiency. Not correct, coaches are telling QB's to take safer passes now instead of going downfield. If QB's in the 60's/70's/80's were taught to throw three yard outs their efficiency would go up as well.

Do you not think players are not listening to their coaching staffs?......
I'm so tired of the typical......
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,597

Post#87 » by Asianiac_24 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:29 pm

Best player in the league IMO. Put some good shooters around him to space the floor for him and he will destroy the league. If Duncan and D-Rob couldn't stop him from tearing up the paint, who can in today's league?
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#88 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:31 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:Best player in the league IMO. Put some good shooters around him to space the floor for him and he will destroy the league. If Duncan and D-Rob couldn't stop him from tearing up the paint, who can in today's league?

Er...Duncan and D-Rob are bigs, why would they be able to stop a perimeter player?
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Re: Re: Rank 2001 Kobe in today's NBA 

Post#89 » by ardee » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:35 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Asianiac_24 wrote:Best player in the league IMO. Put some good shooters around him to space the floor for him and he will destroy the league. If Duncan and D-Rob couldn't stop him from tearing up the paint, who can in today's league?

Er...Duncan and D-Rob are bigs, why would they be able to stop a perimeter player?

Because they're protecting the paint?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#90 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:50 pm

ardee wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

Uh...I dont think that's how basketball works. I am pretty sure bigs do not defend perimeter players very well if the perimeter player is able to beat their man on a consistent basis. It is also hard to defend against elite perimeter players when you are guarding a 300 pound super athletic center.

The hypothetical makes zero sense, we've seen Kobe Bryant play in modern settings and he's been mugged by guys like Prince, Sefolosa and Tony Allen. This idea that because he torched the Spurs non existent perimeter defenders while the twin towers were double teaming Shaq that he would be unstoppable today is a dream work.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Quotatious » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:56 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Uh...I dont think that's how basketball works. I am pretty sure bigs do not defend perimeter players very well if the perimeter player is able to beat their man on a consistent basis.

Well, we saw Kobe torching Doug Christie (possibly the best perimeter defender in the NBA that year) during the 2001 playoffs, so an elite perimeter defender couldn't slow him down, either. When a player of Bryant's caliber gets "in the zone", there's no stopping him.

I agree with ardee's point that elite interior defense is oftentimes more important, even when it comes to slowing down an elite perimeter player, because it can make him miss otherwise easy layups and other shot attempts near the basket. However, I also agree with your point that Duncan and Robinson already had their hands full with Shaq. That Laker superstar duo was just damn near perfect during the '01 playoffs.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#92 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:58 pm

Quotatious wrote:
Well, we've seen Kobe torching Doug Christie (possibly the best perimeter defender in the NBA that year) during the 2001 playoffs, so an elite perimeter defender couldn't slow him down, either. When a player of Bryant's caliber gets "in the zone", there's no stopping him.
He's a bloody superstar, every super star in the league has torched elite perimeter defenders.

This argument makes NO sense. We've SEEN Kobe Bryant in his PRIME play against modern defenses. We're talking several years ago, and he's been stopped or slowed down - no differently than any other superstar. How on earth is PRE PRIME Kobe Bryant going to be the best player in the league on the basis that he torched the Spurs? It's debatable if prime Kobe Bryant was ever the best player in the league.

Anyone in the zone is unstoppable, that is what getting in the zone means.

22 year old Kobe Bryant being better than 30 year old Lebron James is a little much.

22 year old Kobe Bryant w/o Shaq is going to destroy Paul George being backed up by Roy Hibbert and David West? He'll destroy Jimmy Butler while being backed up by Taj Gibson and Joahkim Noah? He'd destory Kawhi Leonard being backed up by Splitter and Duncan? Come on now.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by Quotatious » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:03 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:He's a bloody superstar, every super star in the league has torched eliminate perimeter defenders.

This argument makes NO sense. We've SEEN Kobe Bryant in his PRIME play against modern defenses. We're talking several years ago, and he's been stopped or slowed down - no differently than any other superstar. How on earth is PRE PRIME Kobe Bryant going to be the best player in the league on the basis that he torched the Spurs? It's debatable if prime Kobe Bryant was ever the best player in the league.

Anyone in the zone is unstoppable, that is what getting in the zone means.

22 year old Kobe Bryant being better than 30 year old Lebron James is a little much.

Well, I agree with everything you said here, and as I'm sure you saw earlier, I'm far from thinking that '01 Kobe would be the best player in the league today, I was just making some loose comments in my previous post. I don't think the rule changes would make any real impact on Kobe's game, because as you said, we've seen absolute prime (mid/late 2000s) Kobe dealing with today's rules.
G35
RealGM

Post#94 » by G35 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:08 pm

ardee wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

Isn't weird how PG defense doesn't really matter, SG defense doesn't really have much impact and then when you have possibly the greatest big man tandem ever and now even they can't stop a perimeter player. It really is hard to quantify defense......
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#95 » by PaulieWal » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:10 pm

G35 wrote:Do you not think players are not listening to their coaching staffs?......

Slightly OT but I am curious why do end all of your posts with ellipses? Thanks. :)
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#96 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:11 pm

G35 wrote:
ardee wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

Isn't weird how PG defense doesn't really matter, SG defense doesn't really have much impact and then when you have possibly the greatest big man tandem ever and now even they can't stop a perimeter player. It really is hard to quantify defense......

Is this even English?
G35
RealGM

Post#97 » by G35 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:13 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
G35 wrote:
ardee wrote:

Is this even English?

If you don't understand, I can dumb it down.....
G35
RealGM

Post#98 » by G35 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:15 pm

PaulieWal wrote:
G35 wrote:Do you not think players are not listening to their coaching staffs?......

Slightly OT but I am curious why do end all of your posts with ellipses? Thanks. :)

Well I kind of started it a long time ago on another forum, but it's my way of saying I may or may not have more to say......
G35
RealGM

Post#99 » by G35 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:33 pm

Just as an fyi.

2001 Spurs

#1 in SRS
#1 in PA/G
#2 in opponent FG%
#2 in opponent 3P%
#1 in DRtg
#1 in eFG%
#1 in margin of victory

Other perimeter players who faced the Spurs in the 2001 playoffs:

Michael Finley - .291 FG%, .352 TS%, 15.2 PPG

Steve Nash - .372 FG%, .468 TS%, 8.8 PPG

Terrell Brandon - .435 FG%, .482 TS%, 15.3 PPG

Wally Sczerbiak - .486 FG%, .583 TS%, 14.0 PPG

Anthony Peeler - .264 FG%, .321 TS%, 8.5 PPG

Kobe Bryant - .513 FG%, .571 TS%, 33.3 PPG
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#100 » by Jaivl » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:43 pm

G35 wrote:Steve Nash - .372 FG%, .468 TS%, 8.8 PPG
Kobe Bryant - .513 FG%, .571 TS%, 33.3 PPG

This illustrates all the concerns about sample size. Kobe played amazingly against the Spurs. But, obviously, that isn't sustainable for a whole season. That's not his real playing level.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.

Return to Player Comparisons