Dirk Nowitzki too one dimensional?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

CurryUpNow
Banned User
And1: 29

Dirk Nowitzki too one dimensional? 

Post#1 » by CurryUpNow » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:15 am

Had he not won an NBA title against the Heat with a spectacular performance, would he be considered an all time great? He is one of the best offensive big men the game has seen but for his size he wasn't a good rebounder and is a below average defender. Just curious if Dirk was so great in scoring that his other flaws still make him deserve all the recognition that he gets
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Re: Dirk Nowitzki too one dimensional? 

Post#2 » by Moonbeam » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:19 am

Dirk's a decent rebounder in my book. Good passer, too, and an OK defender as well. I don't think he's one dimensional at all. And that one dimension is pretty spectacular as it is. Yeah, he's an all-time great, and he acquits himself very well in the playoffs.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#3 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:20 am

he was ok rebounder but yes his defense was not very good. Especially against another big.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#4 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:21 am

CurryUpNow wrote:Had he not won an NBA title against the Heat with a spectacular performance, would he be considered an all time great? He is one of the best offensive big men the game has seen but for his size he wasn't a good rebounder and is a below average defender. Just curious if Dirk was so great in scoring that his other flaws still make him deserve all the recognition that he gets

The bolded are both narrative driven myths when it comes to dirk in his prime, especially in the playoffs.
CurryUpNow
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#5 » by CurryUpNow » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:36 am

In the playoffs, I noticed that his numbers were much better

Reg season: 22.2 ppg and 7.9 rpg
Playoffs: 25.6 ppg and 10.1 rpg
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#6 » by Pg81 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:59 am

CurryUpNow wrote:Had he not won an NBA title against the Heat with a spectacular performance, would he be considered an all time great? He is one of the best offensive big men the game has seen but for his size he wasn't a good rebounder and is a below average defender. Just curious if Dirk was so great in scoring that his other flaws still make him deserve all the recognition that he gets

The only flaw he had was limited athleticism. Otherwise he was decent to great in most areas.

Ballerhogger wrote:he was ok rebounder but yes his defense was not very good. Especially against another big.

So that's why he owned Pau Gasol on defense I guess. :lol:
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
garciathao
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#7 » by garciathao » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:01 am

yes, still top 5 PF with or without that ring
34 - 33 - 13
22 - 16 - 52
24 - 42
44 - 25
32 - 10
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#8 » by SaintofKillers » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:06 am

I have a problem with calling Dirk one-dimensional when there's layers to his offensive game.

He wasn't just a 7-footer with range; there's plenty of guys like that before him. Dirk was a 7-footer who can move and score like a shooting guard. As a result, some teams resort to putting one of their wings on him (i.e. if Bowen is on him who's on Josh Howard?) disrupting their line-up in the process.

CurryUpNow wrote:But for his size he wasn't a good rebounder and is a below average defender.

For most of his career, Dirk was a great defensive rebounder and an even better (and all around one) in the postseason. He wasn't cherry picking for boards either like some players, which adds a few bonus points in his favor.

The "irk" thing is also a myth. Generally, Dirk is an above average defender; he won't get any votes in the All-Defense Team but he won't hurt you either. He does an admirable job keeping speedy guards in front of him on switches and forcing them to take stepback or pullup jumpers; he's a surprisingly competent low post defender; and he's really good at bothering and contesting shots with his length from the weakside. His kryptonite on D is guarding undersized/mobile stretch 4s since he's just not physically capable of running out to the perimeter and recovering (poor athleticism, average lateral movement) when they attack his close outs - see Jax in 2007 or heck even Matt Bonner.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#9 » by Jaivl » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:28 am

Pg81 wrote:So that's why he owned Pau Gasol on defense I guess. :lol:

And not only in that infamous 2011 series, but when Pau was in Memphis too, and even in FIBA. Dirk is really the only player that makes Pau's production decrease, I wonder why.

Think about it, this is the guy that routinely eats FIBA frontcourts like they are his breakfast (including team USA), and I think I've never seen him score >20 on FIBA against Dirk.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#10 » by Kabookalu » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:32 am

Dirk Nowitzki was already being hailed as a top PF of all time even before he won his ring. Him winning a ring took away all doubts that he was.
Read on Twitter
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,712

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:52 am

I mean other than Chuck, Dirk is the worst defensive big among the all-time greats. So while he's not a terrible defensive player(and actually a pretty good man post defender) I think its okay if you want to question his defending.

But Dirk was a really good defensive rebounder and a great one in the playoffs. Just for reference he has averaged the same number of defensive rebounds in the PS as KG and Duncan and more than Dream. The guy hit the glass.

Early in his career he was a poor passer. He never turned the ball over much, but he wasn't fully able to exploit all the double teams he drew. But for the last decade now, he's been a very good ball mover. He's not the playmaker a KG, Bird, Webber are. But he makes the right pass and he makes it at the right time.

And as others have pointed out--his one dimension(being among the elite offensive anchors of all-time especially among bigs) was enough to anchor 50 win teams for over a decade, to go to the playoffs every year, and to play on at least 4 championship level squads(03,06,07,11). And post Nash that was done without so much as one other all-star much less an all-NBA player.

But no. If Dirk's offensive game was merely pedestrian as opposed to legendary he wouldn't be thought of as an all-time great. Just like Magic, Kobe, Bird, Wilt, Kareem, Nash, etc etc etc. He certainly isn't a guy like Russell or Admiral whose defense alone makes them great(not that both of those guys weren't also really good offensively because they were.)
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#12 » by Joao Saraiva » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:45 pm

OP let me tell you Dirk is a much better rebounder than you give him credit for.

He has 8 post seasons with double digit reboudning, and he peaked at 13.1, on 13 playoff runs.

While he's not an elite rebounder, he certainly does a good job in that department.

His defense is actually good. He doesn't provide impact in terms of rim protection, but he's a forward, not a C. Put a C with good rim protection with Dirk out there and your team will be fine.

He can score on the low post, high post, e can hit a ton of transition threes, he's actually a great pick&pop player, and even a good pick&roll guy... He can score in a ton of ways to be called one dimensional.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#13 » by Quotatious » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:05 pm

Dirk is one dimensional compared to someone like Duncan or Garnett because he doesn't stand-out in any area other than scoring/shooting (well, he's awesome in terms of protecting the ball, too), but it doesn't tell the whole story, because Nowitzki's scoring/shooting is super elite and extremely impactful. Like Joao Saraiva just said, he can score in a lot of ways, and you can't give him any space, otherwise he'll make it rain on you from basically any spot on the court. He's always been a matchup nightmare.

Basically Dirk is a perfect example of how misleading saying something like "KG is a great rebounder, defender, playmaker, very good scorer, Dirk is only a great scorer/shooter" can be, because it doesn't reflect how much impact each area of their game really has.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#14 » by cpower » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Is Kobe one dimensional too ? worse defender and rebounder, volume shooter, hasn't been successful without big men. LOL
SDChargers#1
Starter
And1: 104

Post#15 » by SDChargers#1 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:13 pm

cpower wrote:Is Kobe one dimensional too ? worse defender and rebounder, volume shooter, hasn't been successful without big men. LOL

Not to make this a Kobe thread, but better defender? Maybe when Kobe was older, but jeez the Kobe hate on here has gotten ridiculous.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#16 » by cpower » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:49 pm

SDChargers#1 wrote:
cpower wrote:Is Kobe one dimensional too ? worse defender and rebounder, volume shooter, hasn't been successful without big men. LOL

Not to make this a Kobe thread, but better defender? Maybe when Kobe was older, but jeez the Kobe hate on here has gotten ridiculous.

playoffs alone I would say Dirk was a better defender. What makes you think Kobe was the better defender?
magicmerl
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#17 » by magicmerl » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:05 pm

I think he'd be considered at the Karl Malone level or below if he'd never won a ring.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#18 » by Joao Saraiva » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:55 am

magicmerl wrote:

I think he'd be considered at the Karl Malone level or below if he'd never won a ring.

I don't think there is a big gap between them right now so...
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
ohio
Starter
And1: 2,322

Post#19 » by ohio » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:58 am

he was simply criminally underrated pre championship, most put him in the Pau Gasol tier.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#20 » by Jaivl » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:03 am

Three rough questions I make myself when judging a player:

*In what level can he increase the point differential/wins of a team? (Impact)
*Does he, or could he do it in a way he could replicate in a wide array of teams or eras? (Portability/skillset)
*Did he lead a team that never won before to a title? (Most important question, totally conditionates my rankings)

Answers: A lot, yes, yes. Maybe he is too unidimensional, so what? So is Russell.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.

Return to Player Comparisons