Tim Duncan
No votes

Total votes: 12

mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,325

Better Defensively: Tim Duncan or Admiral 

Post#1 » by mdonnelly1989 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:49 pm

Who was better defensively at their peaks?
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Re: Better Defensively: Tim Duncan or Admiral 

Post#2 » by LA Bird » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Popovich: "If there's a better all-around defender than David, I haven't seen him. Some guys win defensive player of the year just for blocking shots, but David blocks shots, plays great help defense, draws charges and gets his hand in the passing lanes. He's a tremendously versatile defender, a better defender than Tim, and that's what we wanted to take advantage of."
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,947

Post#3 » by SHAQ32 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:07 pm

And Popovich didn't even see true prime defensive David Robinson
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#4 » by Dr Spaceman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:09 pm

SHAQ32 wrote:And Popovich didn't even see true prime defensive David Robinson

He did. He was GM.

I'm glad that these discussions are happening really frequently around here. Historical defensive players can have sort of an ephemeral quality at times, as people struggle to provide evidence that isn't nailed down by statistics, since we don't have them.

My answer is Robinson, and I'm steadfast in this. I'll break it down for people if they wish.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Shot Clock
RealGM
And1: 17,443

Post#5 » by Shot Clock » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:26 pm

Robinson, even post peak Robinson was a monster defender. And he regularly took the best opposing big regardless of position.
anyone involved in that meddling to justice”. NO COLLUSION

- DJT
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,325

Post#6 » by mdonnelly1989 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:49 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SHAQ32 wrote:And Popovich didn't even see true prime defensive David Robinson

He did. He was GM.

I'm glad that these discussions are happening really frequently around here. Historical defensive players can have sort of an ephemeral quality at times, as people struggle to provide evidence that isn't nailed down by statistics, since we don't have them.

My answer is Robinson, and I'm steadfast in this. I'll break it down for people if they wish.

I'm assuming what you mean by ephemeral you mean subjective? And not based on facts considering not sound tangible #'s at defense.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,818

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:15 am

David Robinson is better defensively than anyone not named Bill Russell and that includes Dream, Deke, Thurmond, Wallace, KG, whomever you want to name.

Duncan is a great defender in his own right, but Robinson was better.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#8 » by lorak » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:39 am

How many good offensive bigs did Robinson limit in the playoffs before Duncan? How Spurs defense was doing in the playoffs before Tim?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#9 » by penbeast0 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:50 am

lorak wrote:How many good offensive bigs did Robinson limit in the playoffs before Duncan? How Spurs defense was doing in the playoffs before Tim?

I don't think you are asking the right question. It should be, "How many teams did a Robinson led team limit in the playoffs before Duncan and how important to the defense were the players around him?" (2nd question you asked is much more relevant)

The key to most of the great defensive centers is their ability to play help defense and make opponents attempts to work the ball in for high percentage shots less efficient. That's why today's 3 point dominant teams limit the impact of a great defensive center much more than any time in history; it's not mainly about man defense in the post.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#10 » by Joao Saraiva » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:59 am

Chuck Texas wrote:David Robinson is better defensively than anyone not named Bill Russell and that includes Dream, Deke, Thurmond, Wallace, KG, whomever you want to name.

Duncan is a great defender in his own right, but Robinson was better.

I feel Hakeem was the best defender I've ever seen.

In 1994 basically no other Rocket offered rim protection, and Hakeem by himself made them a brilliant team closing the paint. He made star after star much less efficient in the playoffs.

I don't think the gap is big, but I'd still give the edge to Hakeem. That playoff run was something special.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan

Return to Player Comparisons