Spurs in 7
11%

Total votes: 37

ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Re: PC Board Spurs/Clippers series thread 

Post#41 » by ThaRegul8r » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:04 pm

Jaivl wrote:Poor Chris Paul, I really feel bad for him.

Wrong place at the wrong time. Nothing personal, but he and his team are an obstacle that needs to be done away with in order to achieve the ultimate objective.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Re: Make your pick: Clippers vs. Spurs 1st Round 

Post#42 » by Joao Saraiva » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:18 pm

I want LAC to win but my gut is telling me Spurs in 6. I hope I'm wrong.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,865

Post#43 » by Dirk » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:24 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:I want LAC to win but my gut is telling me Spurs in 6. I hope I'm wrong.

Why do you want them to win?
60/21/10
Joao Saraiva
RealGM

Post#44 » by Joao Saraiva » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:53 am

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:I want LAC to win but my gut is telling me Spurs in 6. I hope I'm wrong.

I root for the players I like the most in the playoffs, since we're out again... (we'll be back next year, I'm excited about that ;) )

Chris Paul is the PG I like the most (non Jazz, Stockton is #1 of course). So I want him to have success.

I also wouldn't mind Memphis to win it all, with Vince Carter having some great playoff moments (some clutch shots or something, since I don't expect him to bring all time performances to the table).

LeBron is the guy I wish to win the most.

Steph Curry or Dirk would also be nice.

I don't want the Bulls to win it all... Yeah you can call it buthurt from 97 and 98 lol.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,231

Post#45 » by ardee » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:37 am

Clippers in 7. Gut feeling.

Head says Spurs but heart says I could never ever ever root for that team.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#46 » by SHAQ32 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:45 am

Spurs in 6
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#47 » by Cyrusman122000 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:17 am

spurs in 6. Green/Leonard should be able to slow down Reddick/Paul better than any other west competitor can, and honestly I;m not very intimidated by the Clippers despite their strong second half of their season. Their bench is weak, they're very weak at SF, I see them as somewhat soft mentally, they beat up on a lot of bad team down the strecth, and i know Pop will foul DJ 30+ times a game. Splitter will be playing as well. Pop said last week if this was the playoffs he'd be ready, just not going to play starter minutes the first couple games.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,845

Post#48 » by Woodsanity » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:26 am

Clippers have a turdtastic bench. Starters will have to play big minutes to have a chance I say Clips in 7 or at least I hope so. Its gonna be a 6 or 7 game series.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
rico381
Freshman
And1: 104

Re: PC Board Spurs/Clippers series thread 

Post#49 » by rico381 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:58 am

SideshowBob wrote:When was the last time two +6 teams faced off in the 1st round? Has it ever even happened? This seems like a historically significant series.

The last time a +6 team had to go on the road in the first round was Phoenix in 89-90, who won 2 straight series to make the WCF.

The last time two +6 teams played in the first round was in 71-72, when the +7.91 Bulls had to go on the road to face the +11.65 Lakers. Only four teams made the playoffs in each conference at the time, of course.

For this series, I'm feeling Clippers in 7. Think people are underestimating how good LAC is because they've barely fallen short in the playoffs a couple times, but they're very capable of winning this. Both teams are probably around +8 when healthy, and HCA is enough to tip the balance in LAC's favor for me.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,865

Post#50 » by Dirk » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:15 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:
Dirk Nowitzki wrote:

I root for the players I like the most in the playoffs, since we're out again... (we'll be back next year, I'm excited about that ;) )

Chris Paul is the PG I like the most (non Jazz, Stockton is #1 of course). So I want him to have success.

I also wouldn't mind Memphis to win it all, with Vince Carter having some great playoff moments (some clutch shots or something, since I don't expect him to bring all time performances to the table).

I don't want the Bulls to win it all... Yeah you can call it buthurt from 97 and 98 lol.

Despite being a Mavs fan, I never really hated the Spurs. In the first stage during their emergence, I had to pick between them and the Lakers(back then I preferred the Kings or even your Jazz with Malone/Stockton). I've always liked how they go about their business but it was in particular in their later years - where they no longer should have any business being dominant... they are with a brand of basketball that's just awesome to watch that while not rooting for them, I see very few teams that I'd take over them(I only would take the severe unfancied underdogs - this year Hawks is a prime example - hope they win it all, of course as soon as Mavs are out) - the Mavs have also evolved into a kind of similar pattern, just not as polished and without the same man power on d. All this to say that by default, I'd prefer the Spurs over a number of teams.

Now, we have the Clippers... and this is a team that over the last couple of years has annoyed me. They're kind of on the dirty side - and I am only speaking by games against the Mavs who were a bit feisty with them creating problems with players, they like to play on that edge, getting under the skin of refs, other teams. Their type of basketball is also not of my liking. I do respect them though... because they do play hard and have a toughness about them that I appreciate. It's funny how things work. When Paul was with the Hornets I liked him. When he moved to LA, I immediately began to sour a bit. I have a thing about franchise players moving... I wish they pretty much lead their team throughout their careers.

It's ironic, in a normal year, I'd root for the Warriors, but I've grown tired of their antics, I get bad vibes watching them, too much showboating and just pure disrespect and cockiness. Certainly entitled to it in a way given their amazing year, but... it frustrates me and for that reason. I hope they fail. They come back next year humble and then I'll have no issue.

Agree on Memphis - it would be a breath of fresh air also. Unfancied market. A team built against the conventions of nowadays. I like Gasol. I like Randolph. Carter. Conley. All great guys. Unfortunately, their offense seems to be very rusty going into the playoffs. They got lucky with the matchup though and should be able to beat the Blazers and gear into form... now I wonder if they can impose their size on the Warriors or if they'll be blitzed by them. I'm pulling for them though.

I think you're safe with the Bulls not winning. They have to grind out too much during a season to win and won't have the energy to go all the way. Plus, I think there are some issues with Noah on top of Rose's iffy game - guy shoots too many threes. I'd take them over the Cavs though(just a better story if Lebron fails this year). But in the East, I'm all in with the Hawks - it would be great for the NBA if those guys won it all or at least made the Finals and were competitive.

The Jazz...... obviously if you were in the East, the question would be what seed they'd be and not if they'd make the playoffs. In the West. 8 spots... OKC coming back next year. Pelicans and Mavs are the two teams that'd be more likely to bounce out from this year. Mavs have a lot of questions going to the offseason + old age, but I imagine we'll still be able to patch together a team that will be making the top 8. The Suns tailed off this year but they'll try to correct things. The Kings will try to compete. Lakers I guess will make moves. The only teams that are tanking are the Nuggets, wolves. The Jazz though... just seem to still be missing that "leader". Not sure if Hayward has stepped up to be that, he seems more the facilitator and creator type. You also need a legit PG of course. At times it feels it's too easy to defend you, your offense gets stuck too easily and too many bad shots start creeping up. I recall a game this year where the Mavs were badly hurt(three main guys out) and the Jazz still didn't exploit it. It's been an up and down season, I saw parts of the games where you crushed the Bulls, won at Memphis, but then you fell flat in games you should win. I think you need to add one or two vets because you're so young and inexperienced in therms of having guys that have been in the playoffs and have done it before. But at the same time, just on good deals, considering the age of some of the teams(Spurs, Mavs, even Grizz), in a couple of years you might be in the upper echelon of the conference just with your current core growing naturally and without having went all in on some veteran piece. Half a season form could be deceiving, but obviously if you're holding teams to 95 points a game, you'll have a great chance.
60/21/10
Joao Saraiva
RealGM

Post#51 » by Joao Saraiva » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:05 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:
Dirk Nowitzki wrote:

Despite being a Mavs fan, I never really hated the Spurs. In the first stage during their emergence, I had to pick between them and the Lakers(back then I preferred the Kings or even your Jazz with Malone/Stockton). I've always liked how they go about their business but it was in particular in their later years - where they no longer should have any business being dominant... they are with a brand of basketball that's just awesome to watch that while not rooting for them, I see very few teams that I'd take over them(I only would take the severe unfancied underdogs - this year Hawks is a prime example - hope they win it all, of course as soon as Mavs are out) - the Mavs have also evolved into a kind of similar pattern, just not as polished and without the same man power on d. All this to say that by default, I'd prefer the Spurs over a number of teams.

Now, we have the Clippers... and this is a team that over the last couple of years has annoyed me. They're kind of on the dirty side - and I am only speaking by games against the Mavs who were a bit feisty with them creating problems with players, they like to play on that edge, getting under the skin of refs, other teams. Their type of basketball is also not of my liking. I do respect them though... because they do play hard and have a toughness about them that I appreciate. It's funny how things work. When Paul was with the Hornets I liked him. When he moved to LA, I immediately began to sour a bit. I have a thing about franchise players moving... I wish they pretty much lead their team throughout their careers.

It's ironic, in a normal year, I'd root for the Warriors, but I've grown tired of their antics, I get bad vibes watching them, too much showboating and just pure disrespect and cockiness. Certainly entitled to it in a way given their amazing year, but... it frustrates me and for that reason. I hope they fail. They come back next year humble and then I'll have no issue.

Agree on Memphis - it would be a breath of fresh air also. Unfancied market. A team built against the conventions of nowadays. I like Gasol. I like Randolph. Carter. Conley. All great guys. Unfortunately, their offense seems to be very rusty going into the playoffs. They got lucky with the matchup though and should be able to beat the Blazers and gear into form... now I wonder if they can impose their size on the Warriors or if they'll be blitzed by them. I'm pulling for them though.

I think you're safe with the Bulls not winning. They have to grind out too much during a season to win and won't have the energy to go all the way. Plus, I think there are some issues with Noah on top of Rose's iffy game - guy shoots too many threes. I'd take them over the Cavs though(just a better story if Lebron fails this year). But in the East, I'm all in with the Hawks - it would be great for the NBA if those guys won it all or at least made the Finals and were competitive.

The Jazz...... obviously if you were in the East, the question would be what seed they'd be and not if they'd make the playoffs. In the West. 8 spots... OKC coming back next year. Pelicans and Mavs are the two teams that'd be more likely to bounce out from this year. Mavs have a lot of questions going to the offseason + old age, but I imagine we'll still be able to patch together a team that will be making the top 8. The Suns tailed off this year but they'll try to correct things. The Kings will try to compete. Lakers I guess will make moves. The only teams that are tanking are the Nuggets, wolves. The Jazz though... just seem to still be missing that "leader". Not sure if Hayward has stepped up to be that, he seems more the facilitator and creator type. You also need a legit PG of course. At times it feels it's too easy to defend you, your offense gets stuck too easily and too many bad shots start creeping up. I recall a game this year where the Mavs were badly hurt(three main guys out) and the Jazz still didn't exploit it. It's been an up and down season, I saw parts of the games where you crushed the Bulls, won at Memphis, but then you fell flat in games you should win. I think you need to add one or two vets because you're so young and inexperienced in therms of having guys that have been in the playoffs and have done it before. But at the same time, just on good deals, considering the age of some of the teams(Spurs, Mavs, even Grizz), in a couple of years you might be in the upper echelon of the conference just with your current core growing naturally and without having went all in on some veteran piece. Half a season form could be deceiving, but obviously if you're holding teams to 95 points a game, you'll have a great chance.

Great post I agree with the analysis of the teams.

Utah had some up and downs, but after the ASG we've been a fantastic team, one of the top defensive teams. Trading Kanter and giving Gobert made wonders for us in that regard.

Hayward had by far his better year, and I'm very happy with his production.

About the PG you're absolutely right. Trey can be annoying as hell. Can't play for his teammates and will shoot until his arms fall. When he's getting it going his agressivness can provide a win, but most times I wouldn't trust him. Maybe a good PG from the bench. Let's see what Exum can give us, this last part of the season he played better.

I also think Alec Burks can be a great player for us. I had high hopes for him this year but he got injured... Let's see what kind of impact he can give us.

But I see us making the playoffs. I believe we can be the best defensive team in the league, and despite not having a great PG I feel Gobert, Favors, Hayward, Booker, Burks, Hood and Ingles are good enough to give us the point production we need.
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#52 » by mischievous » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Clippers in 7.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#53 » by laika » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Clippers in 7.

Parker is not in the same league as Paul, and the rest of the Clippers should be able battle the Spurs to a standstill.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#54 » by turk3d » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm going to take the Clippers in 6 or7. But it will be an upset (Spurs definitely are favored).
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,273

Post#55 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:37 pm

So the poll ended 22-15 in favor of the spurs. Interestingly, though, the 2 highest vote totals were for Spurs in 5 (10) and Clippers in 7 (9).
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#56 » by SideshowBob » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:39 am

Game 2
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#57 » by SideshowBob » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:40 am

As Ernie just said, if LAC wins this tonight, every series is 2-0 which has never happened before.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#58 » by PaulieWal » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:50 am

Doc the GM has to be fired after this season. He's completely garbage as the GM. It's seriously making me mad what he's done to this team.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM

Post#59 » by Joao Saraiva » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:16 am

I hope the Spurs lose badly. This hack a Jordan thing makes the game unwatchable. They deserve to get beat.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,273

Post#60 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:22 am

Serves pop right if spurs blow this game. The hack-a-whoever strategy isn't basketball. Unless you're a spurs fan, I can't see how you're for it at all.

Return to Player Comparisons