Spurs in 7
11%

Total votes: 37

ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

PC Board Spurs/Clippers series thread 

Post#1 » by ardee » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:45 am

I'm going to be honest. It's the only first round series I really care about, in the sense I'll be happy to see Davis and Isaiah go off against the Warriors and Cs but this is the only series I will watch every minute of every game of regardless of other priorities.

This series is like a wet dream. Be prepared for the greatest first round series ever.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Re: PC Board Spurs/Clippers series thread 

Post#2 » by Jaivl » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:03 am

Poor Chris Paul, I really feel bad for him.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#3 » by QRich3 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:12 am

Yeah, really tuff draw for both teams after an awesome end of the season, but that's the NBA. It's gonna be a really exciting series no matter what. Really looking forward to find out how some things develop, like:

What pace is the series gonna be played at? traditionally when they've faced each other, the Spurs have been more comfortable with a slower pace, winning most of the slow games and losing most of the fast ones, though the Clippers have been trending to play slow as a preference in the last couple of years. Hack-a-DJ is gonna help slow the pace down, and for that reason I see the Spurs as the team most able to exploit Jordan's woes at the FT line.

Clippers defense: it's been pretty good for the last couple for months, 8th best in the league post-allstar, just a hair behind the Warriors and the Spurs themselves. It looks a lot better too, like it did at the end of last season. The Spurs play the exact way that gives the Clippers defense problems though, with quick ball movement and patience to find the best possible shot even if it eats into the shot-clock, and that's the sort of play that exposes Jordan's and Griffin's defensive flaws. They tend to be impatient and lose focus on long plays where the offense gets into the 3rd, 4th and 5th options into a possession.

Spurs own defense: they've been great and have a length advantage at almost every position, but the Clippers offense is also a bad match up for them: they are really quick to set up the first option into the possession and they know how to change quickly and effectively if that option is shut down. They also move the ball really quick and are good enough athletically to tire the Spurs old men up, specially inside. Splitter's health might be key, Diaw and Baynes should get eaten inside and going small would be a problem for them.

Other than that, Matt Barnes might be another key in this series, since he's probably gonna be guarded by Parker/Joseph/Mills a lot, and opposite of last year where he was going through a big shooting slump, this year he shooting at a career best both in volume and efficiency, so he could have some really good games here and help dismount the Spurs defense.

Curious to see what Doc does with hack-a-DJ, it's gonna be constant and get the Clippers offense out of rhythm a lot, but taking him out will hurt the defense in a big way. Doc has been stubborn keeping him on the court so he learns to keep focus, but he's not the type of coach to be soft on his guys on the post-season, if he feels they are better with him off, he's gonna spend a lot of time in the bench.
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach
And1: 477

Post#4 » by Bobbcats » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:44 pm

Clippers are going to need hack-a-DJ to give Paul a rest. Doc is already talking about giving him 44 minutes which makes sense given the bench situation
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,314

Make your pick: Clippers vs. Spurs 1st Round 

Post#5 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:25 pm

This has to be one of the most competitive 1st round series we've seen in some time. They really need to abolish divisions. These 2 teams shouldn't be playing each other, and I sorta feel bad for both fanbases. That said, should be a great series.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAC/2015.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2015.html

I'm still undecided... leaning spurs in 7. Thoughts?
Jaivl
Head Coach

Re: Make your pick: Clippers vs. Spurs 1st Round 

Post#6 » by Jaivl » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:39 pm

I think it will be Spurs in 7, but I'm going Clippers in 7. Paul deserves it.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#7 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Spurs in 6.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#8 » by Goudelock » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Spurs in 5. I'm preparing myself for nights where Deandre Jordan launches 30 FTs as the Clippers lose close games.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,314

Post#9 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:46 pm

PockyCandy wrote:Spurs in 5. I'm preparing myself for nights where Deandre Jordan launches 30 FTs as the Clippers lose close games.

really hoping pop doesn't resort to that much... might as well just turn off the TV if he does
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#10 » by bondom34 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:10 pm

I don't know why, just a feeling. Clips in 6.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Arrow
Sophomore
And1: 226

Post#11 » by Arrow » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:30 pm

You know, for supposedly being such a competitive conference, it's funny that despite 4 teams having almost identical records, the Spurs seem to be the overwhelming favorites among them. I remember seeing a stat a month ago showing that the Clippers have a top 3 record against the other WC playoff teams, yet nobody is giving them a chance apparently. I always hear people saying that the West is so "tough" and that "any team could make it out of the West," but it's always the same 2-3 teams in the WCF. I believe only the '95 Rockets have won the West as a 6th seed or lower. I feel this is the year Paul finally makes the WCF. Clips in 6.
Jaivl
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Jaivl » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:37 pm

Arrow wrote:You know, for supposedly being such a competitive conference, it's funny that despite 4 teams having almost identical records, the Spurs seem to be the overwhelming favorites among them. I remember seeing a stat a month ago showing that the Clippers have a top 3 record against the other WC playoff teams, yet nobody is giving them a chance apparently. I always hear people saying that the West is so "tough" and that "any team could make it out of the West," but it's always the same 2-3 teams in the WCF. I believe only the '95 Rockets have won the West as a 6th seed or lower. I feel this is the year Paul finally makes the WCF. Clips in 6.

It's not just the record, if you look at the SRS...

Clippers: 6.80
Spurs: 6.34
Rockets: 3.82
Grizzlies: 3.62

And given San Antonio's recent history on the postseason, it shouldn't be a surprise they (after GS) are the favorites.
Mutnt
Veteran
And1: 726

Post#13 » by Mutnt » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:46 pm

I never like picking against the Spurs but I do think they screwed themselves royally with their loss on closing night. Besides the Warriors, I'd give LAC the most chance of bumping out San Antonio and they also have home court in this scenario. I'm going Spurs though, but it's gonna be 7 games.
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#14 » by NinjaSheppard » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:48 pm

I think it is Chris Paul's time. Also the injury to Splitter should open up the Clippers pick and roll game a lot. Clippers in 6.

It is gonna hurt the Clippers/CP3 from a narrative standpoint if they lose in the first round but I think if they have to play the Spurs this is the best time. HCA + a hurt Splitter> No HCA + more time for Splitter to get better
Hawk
Starter
And1: 818

Post#15 » by Hawk » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:03 pm

I think the Spurs will get rid of the Clippers soon-ish. 6 games at most.

But, I hope Paul advances, I think this hilariously talented player deserves at least 1 ring.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#16 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:03 pm

I refuse to vote, because this series shouldn't be happening in the first round. Both of these teams are way to good to see one of them go out in round 1. It's not fair.

(Spurs in 7)
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,158

Post#17 » by TroubleS0me » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:14 pm

i feel bad for Paul, i dont see the clippers beating the spurs, their bench is just bad & their defense is not that good

Spurs in 6

& HACK-A-DeAndre ..
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#18 » by KD35Brah » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Spurs in 5 or 6.

Can't see why people think otherwise.

Especially when Kawhi and Green are going to be on CP3 and Reddick....
JeepCSC
Starter
And1: 1,491

Post#19 » by JeepCSC » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:08 pm

Spurs in 6. And this series does make me want to do away with division perks beyond a playoff spot. Blazers should not have been locked into the four seed.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,059

Post#20 » by Laimbeer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Spurs in five.

Return to Player Comparisons