"Top" 10 worst All-NBA 1st team seasons of all-time

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Re: "Top" 10 worst All-NBA 1st team seasons of all-time 

Post#21 » by Jim Naismith » Fri May 15, 2015 11:21 pm

Quotatious wrote:
Jim Naismith wrote:Even in 2014, a majority of people at RealGM thought Noah was a joke.

See the following thread:

"Is Joakim Noah the worst first nba team center?"
viewtopic.php?t=1356201

No, people certainly didn't think he was a "joke". Poll was almost even, 9 votes against Noah, 8 votes "for" him. Even if he was the worst center who ever made the All-NBA 1st team, it still doesn't mean he's a joke. He was an excellent player.

In 2014, Noah had a below-replacement PER of 13.1 in the playoffs.

Seems right in line with his 2015 playoffs PER of 12.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#22 » by Samurai » Sat May 16, 2015 12:54 am

Dr Positivity wrote:I barely know who Truck Robinson is

Truck Robinson was a beast in 78. He had the strength and toughness of a PF (he was listed as a PF even though he was only 6'7") but had the mobility of a SF. He was an excellent defender (led the league in defensive WS in 78). In 78, he also led the league in rebounds and minutes played (averaged almost 45 minutes a game). He averaged over 22 points a game that year. That was his peak and he never approached his 78 year again, but at that time, there was no forward in the league that ever looked forward to lining up against him. You knew you would be battered and bruised by the end of the game and his in-your-jockstrap defense would frustrate anyone.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,248

Post#23 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat May 16, 2015 1:54 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Someone has to be the worst first team guy, and Sprewell is much near the bottom of the barrel. Saying Sprewell is first time means he was a top 2 guard at one point, which never was.

As for Thomas, he was certainly not a God or else he would have started winning before the bad boys came. I don't see how someone could say he is better than Frazier or Magic - he wasn't even a better scorer than they were and that was his calling card.

Yes, someone has to be the worst, but I don't think people are giving spree credit for how good he was that 2nd season.

and I didn't say Isiah was better than Magic. I said he was in his prime better than Frazier, and granted . . . it's close. Frazier was great but I think Prime Isiah was a touch better. For some reason he's not given credit for being as good as he was.
Go NY Go NY Go
acrossthecourt
Pro Prospect
And1: 729

Post#24 » by acrossthecourt » Sat May 16, 2015 5:24 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
acrossthecourt wrote:So what's with this sudden hatred of Noah? Because he wasn't healthy this season and played terribly? I don't remember people downplaying his all-NBA status last year -- he was passed around as an MVP candidate.

Anyway, I don't see how he's worse than, say, Amare. And he's definitely not on the level of Sprewell.

Oh, I was downplaying the hell out of it. And I still do.

Every year there's at least one or two moderately talented players that people who should know better completely lose perspective over. Hype has a funny effect on the human psyche.

Good player. Deserves to have his name on exactly zero plaques that include Hakeem and Shaq.

If every player has to be as good as Shaq and Olajuwon to be first team all-NBA then it would be a small team.
Twitter: AcrossTheCourt
Website; advanced stats based with a few studies:
http://ascreamingcomesacrossthecourt.blogspot.com
acrossthecourt
Pro Prospect
And1: 729

Post#25 » by acrossthecourt » Wed May 27, 2015 6:49 pm

Pau Gasol (2015) is one of the worst second-team selections ever. It's worse than Noah last year on the first-team for instance.
Twitter: AcrossTheCourt
Website; advanced stats based with a few studies:
http://ascreamingcomesacrossthecourt.blogspot.com
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#26 » by Owly » Thu May 28, 2015 2:27 pm

acrossthecourt wrote:Pau Gasol (2015) is one of the worst second-team selections ever. It's worse than Noah last year on the first-team for instance.

Selections is slightly ambiguous here, do you mean literally selections, as in "He's a very poor choice, there are a number of significantly better options," or is selections here just used as a proxy for player (which would mean he's not played at what we'd typically consider to be second team level, but doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't a reasonable choice)? Or both?
magicmerl
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#27 » by magicmerl » Thu May 28, 2015 9:19 pm

Quotatious wrote:No, people certainly didn't think he was a "joke". Poll was almost even, 9 votes against Noah, 8 votes "for" him. Even if he was the worst center who ever made the All-NBA 1st team, it still doesn't mean he's a joke. He was an excellent player.

Sure, not a joke, but still a candidate for the 'worst 1st team selections of all time' thread we are discussing here.
Rob Diaz
Analyst
And1: 5,390

Post#28 » by Rob Diaz » Thu May 28, 2015 9:30 pm

Noah is the worst of my lifetime. Good, but overrated role player that ran a gimmick offense during the regular season vs. teams that don't game-plan(which is the case during the NBA regular season, no time for game-planning outside of quick points), which led to high-post stat-padding of assists. Once the playoffs came around, he got completely dominated by Nene and Gortat IIRC, 2 good players, but nothing special, at all.

Bulls players tend to get overrated more than others, for whatever reason, though. Just look at this season, where people were looking at the names on their roster, rather than current ability :lol: (see: Rose, Gasol, Noah)

Return to Player Comparisons