Best Player only from Eye test

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

akward17
Junior
And1: 443

Best Player only from Eye test 

Post#1 » by akward17 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:10 am

Pretend that you don't know the stats of each player. Try to gauge players based on what you've watched in your life time, not from highlights/ stats.

Who would you say is the best player ever? Top 5?
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Re: Best Player only from Eye test 

Post#2 » by JulesWinnfield » Fri May 29, 2015 3:00 am

I'm not entirely sure I'm answering what you're asking, but I was more in awe of Shaq than any player I've ever seen. Moreso than Jordan, moreso than Lebron. It was just cartoon-ish how physically dominant he was and it was apparent from day 1. I was watching both games live when he broke those backboards his rookie year, the Suns game was on nationally, and I live in NY so I got Nets games too. I can't escape visions of him basically making a DPOY version of Dikembe Mutombo look like an 8 year old boy playing his dad in the driveway in the 01 finals.

Man amongst boys. That's an often used phrase, but it was never more apparent for any athlete in my life than Shaq. He's not the GOAT, and there are reasons for that. But he possessed the ability to be. And when he was locked in, no one was clearly more dominant or impactful
MisterRogers
Banned User
And1: 44

Post#3 » by MisterRogers » Fri May 29, 2015 3:34 am

Not Harden!
Sir Psycho Sexy
Senior
And1: 502

Post#4 » by Sir Psycho Sexy » Fri May 29, 2015 3:41 am

I would say Durant from active players. Even if he has something like 7-20 I still have impression that he shot well
akward17
Junior
And1: 443

Post#5 » by akward17 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:57 am

JulesWinnfield wrote:I'm not entirely sure I'm answering what you're asking, but I was more in awe of Shaq than any player I've ever seen. Moreso than Jordan, moreso than Lebron. It was just cartoon-ish how physically dominant he was and it was apparent from day 1. I was watching both games live when he broke those backboards his rookie year, the Suns game was on nationally, and I live in NY so I got Nets games too. I can't escape visions of him basically making a DPOY version of Dikembe Mutombo look like an 8 year old boy playing his dad in the driveway in the 01 finals.

Man amongst boys. That's an often used phrase, but it was never more apparent for any athlete in my life than Shaq. He's not the GOAT, and there are reasons for that. But he possessed the ability to be. And when he was locked in, no one was clearly more dominant or impactful

Exactly what I'm looking for lol. And ditto to your answer. I guess there's a reason he's labeled the most dominant player of all time. Watching him play was something I knew no one else could replicate. And without looking at stats, esp his ft%, he'd be the GOAT on my list
MisterRogers
Banned User
And1: 44

Post#6 » by MisterRogers » Fri May 29, 2015 4:08 am

I think Tim Duncan and Steve Nash come to mind as players who dont need to produce great stats but by watching them play they look awesome.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,802

Post#7 » by Prez » Fri May 29, 2015 4:19 am

Shaq for me too. The first time I watched him for a full game start to finish (since I was old enough to really know what was going on) was the very first game of the 2000 playoffs...was hooked from then on. I had never seen someone single handedly massacre opposing defenses the way he did. He totally changed the game when he was on the floor in a way I've never seen anyone else do since, never have I seen teams so helpless guarding a guy. Granted, I never saw peak Jordan live, only highlights and game footage here and there. One of these days I'm gonna have to sit down and watch MJ's 91-93 run extensively to put Shaq's run in proper perspective...but for now it's Shaq to me, going by the criteria in the OP...no stats, just eye test.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#8 » by ceiling raiser » Fri May 29, 2015 4:24 am

MJ or Hakeem. Perhaps the most aesthetic games ever IMO.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#9 » by Quotatious » Fri May 29, 2015 11:03 am

I agree about Shaq.

Kobe always looked better when I watched him play than when I looked at his stat-sheet.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Post#10 » by Joao Saraiva » Fri May 29, 2015 11:39 am

Hakeem did it for me. His post moves were very impressive, and he also moved really well for a big guy, creating shots for the perimeter. You could feel his impact on D too without looking at the stats. Contesting shots left and right in every single play. Moving his feet pretty quick.

Shaq is also a great reply.

LeBron at his peak also did it for me. He was so active in every aspect of the game that I didn't even need to look at his stats to feel such impact.

Kobe Bryant on a great day or Allen Iverson on a great day would seem better than they were. They hit a ton of difficult shots and Iverson is the most spectacular player I've ever seen. However if you see them on a regular basis you'll get frustrated in some games.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 547

Post#11 » by Gregoire » Fri May 29, 2015 12:27 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:I'm not entirely sure I'm answering what you're asking, but I was more in awe of Shaq than any player I've ever seen. Moreso than Jordan, moreso than Lebron. It was just cartoon-ish how physically dominant he was and it was apparent from day 1. I was watching both games live when he broke those backboards his rookie year, the Suns game was on nationally, and I live in NY so I got Nets games too. I can't escape visions of him basically making a DPOY version of Dikembe Mutombo look like an 8 year old boy playing his dad in the driveway in the 01 finals.

Why you did not have same impression about Lebron in 09-10?
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 547

Post#12 » by Gregoire » Fri May 29, 2015 12:28 pm

How about peak playoffs MJ or Lebron in GOAT mode (game 6 with Boston)?
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#13 » by JulesWinnfield » Fri May 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Gregoire wrote:

Why you did not have same impression about Lebron in 09-10?

Don't get me wrong. I was totally in awe of Lebron. Same with Jordan. But if I had to pick one, there was just something about the absurdity of Shaq's physical dominance, he bordered on appearing to be a different species.

How about peak playoffs MJ or Lebron in GOAT mode (game 6 with Boston)?

I'm not saying Shaq was any better, I'm just saying I don't think he takes a clear back seat in my view
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#14 » by East Bay Sports » Fri May 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Shaq was the first guy that came to my mind. You could not have a stat sheet or any knowledge of what basketball was, but if you see a game w/ prime Shaq in it you know THAT GUY is dominating.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,411
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#15 » by E-Balla » Fri May 29, 2015 1:58 pm

Yeah Shaq wins this for me. I remember watching him and just thinking he was too big to be stopped. Even defensively he was locking down the paint at times.
ThunderDan9
Veteran
And1: 488

Post#16 » by ThunderDan9 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:24 pm

Bird.

(My Top 3 would be Bird, Jordan and Shaq.)
PC Board All Time Fantasy Draft:

PG Mark Price (92-94)
SG Manu Ginobili (05-07)
SF Larry Bird (84-86)
PF Horace Grant (93-95)
C Dwight Howard (09-11)
+
Bernard King (82-84) Vlade Divac (95-97) Derek Harper (88-90) Dan Majerle (91-93) Josh Smith (10-12)
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,665

Post#17 » by scrabbarista » Sun Jun 7, 2015 12:55 am

I started watching the game in 1991. My top 5 would be (and this is such a fun question for me, as my actual ATG list doesn't factor in the eye test at all) ----

1. Jordan - I think the "different species" thing applies just as much here as to Shaq. MJ's first step was unreal, as was his last.
2. Lebron - I was tempted to put him first. It's super close.

3. Hakeem - The "eye test" entails watching free throws. But the real edge here is Hakeem's defense: shots challenged/altered and poke-away steals. Also, as an aside, there's a youtube video of Dream's highlights where some presumably young buck comments, "Whoa. It's like Kobe Bryant with Dwight Howard's body." How's that for an eye test?
4. Shaq - If the eye test only lasted five minutes, Shaq would be number one, but he loses ground in the game's subtleties. Still, the first impression Shaq always left you with during his prime was, "That's not fair. That's not fair at all."

5. The first four were no-brainers. Here I'll go with Kevin Durant, though it's safe to say Anthony Davis will surpass him assuming health.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#18 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Jun 7, 2015 12:56 am

Jordan.
Nbafanatic
Pro Prospect
And1: 214

Post#19 » by Nbafanatic » Sun Jun 7, 2015 1:05 am

Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,672

Post#20 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jun 7, 2015 2:29 am

I'll sign on with Shaq too; just ridiculous and as incredible as his stats were, they were rarely as impressive as his physical presence.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Player Comparisons