What would you give up for Anthony Davis?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Re: What would you give up for Anthony Davis? 

Post#41 » by bleeds_purple » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:45 am

evilpimp972 wrote:Who did shut down Anthony Davis? Draymond Green? Your post is nonsense, and i bet you are the guy who don't watch Pelicans game. I saw Aldridge gave him a hard time, that's about it, kid's still learning though.

Watched plenty of NOP games. He's a great defender but offensively quite limited. With the ball all he can do is face up and try to drive by you. He has no post game. We had a game where we put Rudy Gay on him and the dude literally couldn't do a damn thing. He would try to face up and drive past him but Rudy was too quick and Rudy isn't even known for defense. If he was stronger or had post game it would have been mince meat.

He doesn't strike me as a guy who can ever be your number one option but he could still win an MVP. He's just like Garnett, great player but not a guy you think of as being the number one guy to carry an offense. He's never going to command a constant double team like Cousins would, not that I'm saying Cousins is overall a better player.

If he's ever going to win in the playoffs he'll need to team up with a guy like Harden. AD would be perfect for Harden really. Set him screens, catch some lobs, and anchor the defense.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#42 » by Joao Saraiva » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:55 am

Anything but Gobert so I can have for sure the best C/PF duo in the NBA.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#43 » by Kabookalu » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:31 am

For the Raptors I'd honestly give up 5 unprotected first round draft picks for the next 10 years for Davis, along with whatever helpings the Pelicans want from my team.

That's a hefty load, but I'm convinced that MLSE will never allow the Raptors to be put in a position where we can land a superstar. So I'd rather give up valuable assets to acquire one and try and figure out the rest later.
Read on Twitter
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Post#44 » by evilpimp972 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:09 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:
evilpimp972 wrote:Who did shut down Anthony Davis? Draymond Green? Your post is nonsense, and i bet you are the guy who don't watch Pelicans game. I saw Aldridge gave him a hard time, that's about it, kid's still learning though.

Watched plenty of NOP games. He's a great defender but offensively quite limited. With the ball all he can do is face up and try to drive by you. He has no post game. We had a game where we put Rudy Gay on him and the dude literally couldn't do a damn thing. He would try to face up and drive past him but Rudy was too quick and Rudy isn't even known for defense. If he was stronger or had post game it would have been mince meat.

He doesn't strike me as a guy who can ever be your number one option but he could still win an MVP. He's just like Garnett, great player but not a guy you think of as being the number one guy to carry an offense. He's never going to command a constant double team like Cousins would, not that I'm saying Cousins is overall a better player.

If he's ever going to win in the playoffs he'll need to team up with a guy like Harden. AD would be perfect for Harden really. Set him screens, catch some lobs, and anchor the defense.

I'd love to be offensively limited, and score 33 pts / games in my first playoffs series :)
His post game is limited, but so was Lebron post game before 2011, would you call Lebron pre 2011 offensively limited? Nah, post game isn't everything.
Plus you can always go back and watch the series against GS, he started off bad (Green was bothering him) but later in the series he was playing in the post whenever he had a smaller guy on him. He destroyed Green after the first 2 games, again, he's still learning.
What's more impressive ? We actually complain about his touches on offense, plenty of times where he doesn't see the ball, that'll change with the offensive mastermind Gentry, oh boy I can't wait!

Cousins is a better post player, but he's not a better offensive player than Davis, kid is too good at moving without the ball, that's a SKILL, not a flaw. And you can't double that, he's gonna get his, anyway.
Man, everybody thought his game would suffer come playoffs, but guess what happened, and he's not playing with some kind of hall of fame PG. Just imagine what the kid would do with one of them, I can't!

Harden + AD? Okay, but I'll bet AD will score more, because Harden will actually pass him the ball better than Evans or Holiday, plus the attention than Harden draws...oh man, that would have been wonderful.
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#45 » by Rosque » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:15 pm

my soul and i'd sacrifice my girlfriend to the devil
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#46 » by Jim Naismith » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:Anything but Gobert so I can have for sure the best C/PF duo in the NBA.

If you're not giving up Gobert, you're not trying.
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Jim Naismith » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:37 pm

Choker wrote:For the Raptors I'd honestly give up 5 unprotected first round draft picks for the next 10 years for Davis, along with whatever helpings the Pelicans want from my team.

That's a hefty load, but I'm convinced that MLSE will never allow the Raptors to be put in a position where we can land a superstar. So I'd rather give up valuable assets to acquire one and try and figure out the rest later.

Your team doesn't have anything that attractive, so the price would be something like:

Lowry + Jonas
+ 10 unprotected 1st round picks + 10 second-round picks
+ 30% of Raptor team revenue for ten years
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#48 » by bondom34 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:18 pm

OK, that's just ridiculous.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by Jim Naismith » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:30 pm

bondom34 wrote:OK, that's just ridiculous.

Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Raptors_draft_history
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#50 » by bondom34 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Jim Naismith wrote:

Counter arguement:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NOH/draft.html
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#51 » by yoyoboy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:10 pm

Jim Naismith wrote:

You're getting pretty ridiculous with your demands for Davis. No doubt he's a stud, but keep in mind he's still just one player and he has some injury concerns attached to him. I mean you're really asking that the Cavs trade away LeBron James, who may be 30 but is currently the best player in the NBA and has shown that he can play as well as he ever has when he wants to, and Kyrie Irving, a 23 year old All-NBA 3rd Team PG, for just Davis? Why would the Cavs even think about breaking up a perrrnial championship contender to basically become the New Orleans Pelicans, a team of Anthony Davis and role players - one that got swept in the first round? Like I said before, I wouldn't even trade just LeBron for Davis, and I mentioned my reasons in post #12, which extend beyond basketball.

Furthermore, why would the Clippers trade away Blake Griffin AND Chris Paul for Davis? And why would the Thunder give away their 2 MVP candidates, both of whom are currently on or above Davis's level, for Davis?

And to top it all off, the fact that you think it's completely reasonable for the Raptors to give away TEN unprotected first round picks, TEN second rounders, Kyle Lowry (an All Star), Jonas Valanciunas (a young center with All Star potential), and 30% OF THE RAPTORS' REVENUE IN THE NEXT TEN YEARS is just absolutely ridiculous. You realize that the Raptors brought in $151 million in revenue this year, right? Even if we assume that revenue remains constant for the next decade (but it will almost certainly rise with each year), that means the Raptors would have to pay 453 MILLION DOLLARS to the Pelicans, on top of that crazy package of picks and players JUST for Davis. That's insane!
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#52 » by bleeds_purple » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:18 pm

evilpimp972 wrote:would you call Lebron pre 2011 offensively limited? Nah, post game isn't everything.

Can we agree that a post game is more important for a F/C than a SF?
MisterRogers
Banned User
And1: 44

Post#53 » by MisterRogers » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Some people saying they will give up everything to get him may be a huge risk. He is an incredible player but he has some health concerns. If I'm Pelicans I dont trade him period. However, if you are trading Lebron and Kyrie for him, then you go for it
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#54 » by cpower » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:43 pm

Jim Naismith wrote:Suppose the Pelicans put Anthony Davis on block and he is willing to re-sign with whatever team he goes to.

What would you give up?

If you were one of these team below, would you say yes to your listed "price?"

CLE: LeBron + Irving
    LAC: Griffin + Paul
    OKC: Durant + Westbrook
    GSW: Curry + Klay + Draymond
    HOU: Harden + Dwight
    MIA: Whiteside + Bosh + Dragic + Wade
    WAS: Wall + Beal + Gortat

what? you act like AD is the second coming of god and will be the next 10 rings in a row. No way every team would give up these assets for him.
CLE: no way Lebron still has a few years left and Irving is still young, AD + scrubs will not work
LAC: again no way LAC does this, Paul is the soul and Griffin has been awesome, AD AD + scrubs will not work
GSW: I dont think GSW will give up Curry alone.
OKC: no way
HOU: could pull the trigger but HOU does not have good guards. where could AD + role players lead you to?
MIA: yeah this one for sure. Bosh and Wade are overpaid , Dragic and Whiteside is unproven. WHy would PEL do this though?
WAS: maybe . but WAS will not have much left after the trade.
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Jim Naismith » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:33 pm

yoyoboy wrote:And to top it all off, the fact that you think it's completely reasonable for the Raptors to give away TEN unprotected first round picks, TEN second rounders, Kyle Lowry (an All Star), Jonas Valanciunas (a young center with All Star potential), and 30% OF THE RAPTORS' REVENUE IN THE NEXT TEN YEARS is just absolutely ridiculous. You realize that the Raptors brought in $151 million in revenue this year, right? Even if we assume that revenue remains constant for the next decade (but it will almost certainly rise with each year), that means the Raptors would have to pay 453 MILLION DOLLARS to the Pelicans, on top of that crazy package of picks and players JUST for Davis. That's insane!

Jonas and Lowry weren't much good in the playoffs this year.

Ten years of Raptor picks have yielded only Hibbert and DeRozan as borderline stars.

I bet there are teams that would pay $50 million a year for Anthony Davis. I think the Lakers and Knicks would consider it. The Lakers are paying $23 million for injured Kobe.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#56 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:48 pm

cpower wrote:
Jim Naismith wrote:Suppose the Pelicans put Anthony Davis on block and he is willing to re-sign with whatever team he goes to.

What would you give up?

what? you act like AD is the second coming of god and will be the next 10 rings in a row. No way every team would give up these assets for him.
CLE: no way Lebron still has a few years left and Irving is still young, AD + scrubs will not work
LAC: again no way LAC does this, Paul is the soul and Griffin has been awesome, AD AD + scrubs will not work
HOU: could pull the trigger but HOU does not have good guards. where could AD + role players lead you to?
MIA: yeah this one for sure. Bosh and Wade are overpaid , Dragic and Whiteside is unproven. WHy would PEL do this though?

Davis and Love could still play together, that's still a good base.
cpower
RealGM

Post#57 » by cpower » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:57 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
cpower wrote:

What would you give up?

even love resigns they need better guards. that team isn't going anywhere without some 3 pointers
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#58 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:00 pm

cpower wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
cpower wrote:what? you act like AD is the second coming of god and will be the next 10 rings in a row. No way every team would give up these assets for him.

even love resigns they need better guards. that team isn't going anywhere without some 3 pointers

It's not like they would have to win in one season, they're a young core. They could find guards way before Kevin Love is out of his prime.
cpower
RealGM

Post#59 » by cpower » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:03 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
cpower wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

It's not like they would have to win in one season, they're a young core. They could find guards way before Kevin Love is out of his prime.

You see how AD and Anderson fit together, I just felt they are not a good fit. Love needs more touches, so is AD. He would be a lot better with someone does the dirty work, like leonard 8-)
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#60 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:12 pm

evilpimp972 wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:At this rate I expect the "is AD the GOAT" conversation to pop off in about 6-8 months.

This guy is pretty damn good but has a TON of work to do before you even talk about him as even one of the best players in the league. The nut hugging I see on this board for this guy is down right pathetic. The only explanation: people just look at the stats and don't actually watch the Pelicans play.

He disappears on offense for long stretches. Has no back to the basket game and because of it has the tendency to get shut down by smaller guys who he can't blow by. In time I expect him to get really good. Maybe even be the best big in the game. But get the **** out of here with this "would you trade your top 2-4 guys nonsense".

Who did shut down Anthony Davis? Draymond Green? Your post is nonsense, and i bet you are the guy who don't watch Pelicans game. I saw Aldridge gave him a hard time, that's about it, kid's still learning though.

He's just mad, because Davis already is the best big in the league, by a fair margin too.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to Player Comparisons