Lebron or Bird who makes this team better?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Which player makes this team better?

Lebron James
25%
Larry Bird
75%

Total votes: 24

mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,325

Lebron or Bird who makes this team better? 

Post#1 » by mdonnelly1989 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 12:34 am

PG. Magic Johnson
SG. Michael Jordan
SF. ?
PF. Tim Duncan
C. Kareem Abdul Jabaar

Let's point out this this is not Who's the better player. It means who would make this team better. Just because Larry Bird would fit better does not mean it would make the team better. Think about the different dimensions this team would have with these 2.

Bird - Bird would do a great job stretching the court

Think about the fast break between Magic, MJ, amd Lebron. Have fun on transition defense. Plus the team defense would be better.

I think it's minimal each way you slice it.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Re: Lebron or Bird who makes this team better? 

Post#2 » by Quotatious » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:22 am

LeBron is the better player, but Bird is a much better fit on this team. They already have two fantastic ballhandlers, they need a great shooter and someone who can be effective primarily as an off-ball player on offense. Bird does both things much better than James.

Bird is an obvious answer.
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#3 » by ThaRegul8r » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:27 am

If you have Kareem, Duncan, Jordan and Magic, I don't think they need to be "made better."

Bird's the better fit, but I just find the way the question was worded funny.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#4 » by JordansBulls » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:40 am

You need to use like 4 role players and ask this. Example use 2007 Bulls
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by mdonnelly1989 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:40 am

ThaRegul8r wrote:If you have Kareem, Duncan, Jordan and Magic, I don't think they need to be "made better."

This was for my all time starting 5
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#6 » by ThaRegul8r » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:48 am

mdonnelly1989 wrote:
ThaRegul8r wrote:If you have Kareem, Duncan, Jordan and Magic, I don't think they need to be "made better."

It's obviously a "these are in my opinion the best individual players at each position" team. What I said wasn't a criticism, it was merely a passing remark.

Though I don't understand the "just because a player is a better fit doesn't mean it would make the team better" edit. This is a thread openly soliciting the opinion of others, but it seems from the edit that there's apparently a "right" answer that's already been predetermined but isn't being given. It's odd to solicit opinion and then take exception to the answers. Just a observation, but ultimately it's your thread.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by mdonnelly1989 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 6:15 pm

ThaRegul8r wrote:
mdonnelly1989 wrote:

It's obviously a "these are in my opinion the best individual players at each position" team. What I said wasn't a criticism, it was merely a passing remark.

Though I don't understand the "just because a player is a better fit doesn't mean it would make the team better" edit. This is a thread openly soliciting the opinion of others, but it seems from the edit that there's apparently a "right" answer that's already been predetermined but isn't being given. It's odd to solicit opinion and then take exception to the answers. Just a observation, but ultimately it's your thread.

No I still think it's a debate even though Bird's skill set is complimentary to this starting 5. That still doesn't mean that it would make this team better when you add in all the factors.

I'm not saying that Bird or Lebron is the definitive answer. I'm saying that's it's interesting debate considering one is more complimentary (Bird) and the other is just all around better (Lebron).
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#8 » by Joseph17 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 9:37 pm

Bird obviously. Having Lebron would be redundant on a team like that.
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by mdonnelly1989 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 10:12 pm

Quotatious wrote:LeBron is the better player, but Bird is a much better fit on this team. They already have two fantastic ballhandlers, they need a great shooter and someone who can be effective primarily as an off-ball player on offense. Bird does both things much better than James.

Bird is an obvious answer.

Is it really an obvious answer? I don't think so. Lebron makes this team WAY better defensively, and he makes them WAY more dangerous in the fast break.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#10 » by Quotatious » Sat Aug 1, 2015 11:24 pm

mdonnelly1989 wrote:Is it really an obvious answer? I don't think so. Lebron makes this team WAY better defensively, and he makes them WAY more dangerous in the fast break.

They are already good enough defensively with Kareem, Duncan and Jordan. Any team would be very good on fastbreak if Magic Johnson was leading it (not to mention with MJ being his wingman and peak Duncan as a trailer).

Bird's off-ball movement and shooting ability (both vastly superior compared to LeBron) is a more important upgrade than anything that LeBron would bring. Like I said, James is a better player than Bird, but he's overlapping way too much with Magic and Michael. Neither Jordan or Johnson were particularly reliable 3-pt shooters, and LeBron isn't, either, so they would have one clear weakness with LeBron. Bird helps fix that problem.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#11 » by LakerLegend » Sat Aug 1, 2015 11:59 pm

Bird doesn't have to dominate the ball to the extent LeBron does. Bird handily.
FX20014
Junior
And1: 46

Post#12 » by FX20014 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 1:38 am

Same thoughts exactly. You can't go wrong with Bird or Lebron. But if u got Kareem, Tim, Jordan and Magic I would think you would be fine. If u got MJ or Magic, I don't think u need Bird or Magic. Lol
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by mdonnelly1989 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 5:49 am

Quotatious wrote:
mdonnelly1989 wrote:Is it really an obvious answer? I don't think so. Lebron makes this team WAY better defensively, and he makes them WAY more dangerous in the fast break.

They are already good enough defensively with Kareem, Duncan and Jordan. Any team would be very good on fastbreak if Magic Johnson was leading it (not to mention with MJ being his wingman and peak Duncan as a trailer).

Bird's off-ball movement and shooting ability (both vastly superior compared to LeBron) is a more important upgrade than anything that LeBron would bring. Like I said, James is a better player than Bird, but he's overlapping way too much with Magic and Michael. Neither Jordan or Johnson were particularly reliable 3-pt shooters, and LeBron isn't, either, so they would have one clear weakness with LeBron. Bird helps fix that problem.

Wade was basically Michael Jordan in this case. And the reason they made it work so well was because of Lebron's passing ability. Ah that's why I was looking for. So what Bird brings to the table is more important for this team than what LBJ would bring.

I think we both agree that although LBJ is better than Bird was it's not significant enough where it doesn't matter what type of style you have. If this where someone like Kyle Korver who's obviously the better shooter than Lebron and more complimentary to this team, there's no way in H8LL he would make this team better. Anyways just though it was an interesting debate since both bring different dimensions and one is the better player. To some it up.

This starting 5 would be better defensively, but with Bird it would be better offensively. And the gap offensively if wider with Bird offensively than it is with LBJ on it defensively.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#14 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Aug 2, 2015 9:42 am

Bird was not really a small forward and was a poor defender of small forwards. Maxwell and McHale defended small fowards because they could defend small forwards.

PG. Magic Johnson
SG. Michael Jordan
SF. ?
PF. Tim Duncan
C. Kareem Abdul Jabaar

On the above team LeBron would be better than Bird but
on this team:
PG. Magic Johnson, Mookie Blaylock
SG. Michael Jordan
SF. Scottie Pippen
PF. Tim Duncan
C. Kareem Abdul Jabaar

Adding Bird would be better than adding Bird would be better than adding LeBron.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#15 » by Pg81 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 11:39 am

Bird, LeBron needs too many touches to be effective and this team already has a ball dominant scorer.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019

Return to Player Comparisons