Shaq Discusses How Anthony Davis Would Fare Against Him

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Re: Shaq Discusses How Anthony Davis Would Fare Against Him 

Post#21 » by TKainZero » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:44 pm

I don't know if Anthony Davis will ever have enough body mass to pound with shaq down low

Look at Kevin Garnett as an example.
Garnett is still the same skinny kid he was back in his first few years in the NBA.

The only things that cold stop shaq:
His cravings for food
His motivation to stay in shape
His motivation to win

He could have been The greatest player of all time
But he was content to make rap music, star in movies, and have a lot of fun.

I wish shaq and Kobe would have stayed together forever...
They secretly are huge rivals... Shaq winning that championship before Kobe was huge for him. And when Kobe won his 5th to pass shaq, that was one of the biggest moments of his life

Imagine if the lakers had the stability of the Spurs/Tim Duncan
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,186

Post#22 » by tsherkin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:59 pm

TKainZero wrote:I don't know if Anthony Davis will ever have enough body mass to pound with shaq down low

Garnett is still the same skinny kid he was back in his first few years in the NBA.

That's not really accurate. He gained 20 or 30 pounds between being a skinny teenager and the guy he is now. Yeah, he had a basic body type that never included "RAWR, POWER!!!!" in his base, but let's not act like there isn't physical development. Also yes, SHaq is a massive physical outlier, so regardless of development, Davis is never going to "pound with shaq down low," but that's not what he does with anyone, so it's only so relevant.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#23 » by Winsome Gerbil » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:57 pm

tsherkin wrote:
TKainZero wrote:I don't know if Anthony Davis will ever have enough body mass to pound with shaq down low

That's not really accurate. He gained 20 or 30 pounds between being a skinny teenager and the guy he is now. Yeah, he had a basic body type that never included "RAWR, POWER!!!!" in his base, but let's not act like there isn't physical development. Also yes, SHaq is a massive physical outlier, so regardless of development, Davis is never going to "pound with shaq down low," but that's not what he does with anyone, so it's only so relevant.

Well the problem is if you can't bang vs. Shaq its always going to be relevant, whether its by choice or physical inability, because if you don't body Shaq, he's just going to roll right in and power slam the ball with 300lbs of force behind it. I have absolutely no doubt at all the Pels would go with Asik bodying Shaq, and then A.D. trying to help, because it just physically could not work the other way.

Shaq is an extreme case for anyone, but this general problem is one of the reasons I still have a question mark hovering over Davis as potential all time defender etc. etc. He's got things he does very well, but if you struggle against physical power and have to resort to gimmicks and teammates to bail you out whenever somebody beefy puts their shoulder into you, I'm not sure you can ever be a GOAT defender type guy. I think truly legendary ( :D ) defenders have to be able to compete and excel almost no matter what is thrown at them, assuming its a normal part of their position. And obviously stopping power bigs is a normal part of big man defense.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by tsherkin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:18 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:Well the problem is if you can't bang vs. Shaq its always going to be relevant, whether its by choice or physical inability, because if you don't body Shaq, he's just going to roll right in and power slam the ball with 300lbs of force behind it. I have absolutely no doubt at all the Pels would go with Asik bodying Shaq, and then A.D. trying to help, because it just physically could not work the other way.

This would be relevant if it weren't true for basically everyone in league history, but by and large, he physically overpowered just about everyone throughout his entire career. Asik wouldn't have any more success than Davis, and he'd be worse off, because while he'd be incapable of bodying Shaq, he'd also get spun around fairly often. Asik isn't exactly fleet of foot.

Shaq is an extreme case for anyone, but this general problem is one of the reasons I still have a question mark hovering over Davis as potential all time defender etc. etc. He's got things he does very well, but if you struggle against physical power and have to resort to gimmicks and teammates to bail you out whenever somebody beefy puts their shoulder into you, I'm not sure you can ever be a GOAT defender type guy.

This only matters in specific cases, like if you have an actual power-post volume scorer of consequence in the league. There aren't many of those across league history. Meantime, this is a non-starter, because I don't think anyone would ever deny that KG had incredible, ATG-level defensive impact and he was never in position to body anyone defensively. He was all length for contest, mobility and timing.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#25 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:39 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Well the problem is if you can't bang vs. Shaq its always going to be relevant, whether its by choice or physical inability, because if you don't body Shaq, he's just going to roll right in and power slam the ball with 300lbs of force behind it. I have absolutely no doubt at all the Pels would go with Asik bodying Shaq, and then A.D. trying to help, because it just physically could not work the other way.

Shaq is an extreme case for anyone, but this general problem is one of the reasons I still have a question mark hovering over Davis as potential all time defender etc. etc. He's got things he does very well, but if you struggle against physical power and have to resort to gimmicks and teammates to bail you out whenever somebody beefy puts their shoulder into you, I'm not sure you can ever be a GOAT defender type guy. I think truly legendary ( :D ) defenders have to be able to compete and excel almost no matter what is thrown at them, assuming its a normal part of their position. And obviously stopping power bigs is a normal part of big man defense.

There are hardly any bigs who score a meaningful amount of points while relying on brute strength. There are much bigger priorities for a defensive anchor to specialize in.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#26 » by GYK » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:34 am

they wouldn't guard each other. Shaq didn't guard KG or Dirk. He rarely was put on Tim. Time and Webber guarded him but that's when their backup big wasn't in.
Could AD have a big game vs a Shaq team? Certainly.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,332

Post#27 » by ShotCreator » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:25 am

Davis would score an easy 30 points on most versions of O'Neal.
Swinging for the fences.
BubbleBuddy
Sophomore
And1: 98

Post#28 » by BubbleBuddy » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:24 am

RW2014 wrote:Davis would score an easy 30 points on most versions of O'Neal.

Shaq wouldn't do the same to Davis?

Both would not do well guarding each other
UNLEASH THE BOBAN

71% of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Kawhi Leonard.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#29 » by TKainZero » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:20 am

Shaq also weighed a lot more than he Said

There were roumors he tipped the scales at 400 lbs
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#30 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:38 pm

I know that obviously he will never be strong enough to handle shaq, but I feel people think he is a lot skinnier than he really is.
I mean, I saw one person say that he was too skinny to handle cousins
Tha might have been true last year, but now...
He is scrunched up, but he looks about the same size as cousins, who is closer to the camera
Also said he is still gaining weight.
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by tsherkin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:13 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:I know that obviously he will never be strong enough to handle shaq, but I feel people think he is a lot skinnier than he really is.
He is scrunched up, but he looks about the same size as cousins, who is closer to the camera

If by "size," you happen to mean "height alone," then sure. But it's remarkably clear that Cousins is quite a bit thicker, camera angle aside.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#32 » by MyUniBroDavis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:06 am

tsherkin wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:I know that obviously he will never be strong enough to handle shaq, but I feel people think he is a lot skinnier than he really is.

If by "size," you happen to mean "height alone," then sure. But it's remarkably clear that Cousins is quite a bit thicker, camera angle aside.

I mean, he is really scrunched up
He looks like he grew a lot though, coming out of college
Cousins was slightly taller
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by tsherkin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:12 am

MyUniBroDavis wrote:I mean, he is really scrunched up

Davis has definitely put on weight, and he's certainly not short. But yeah, DMC is irrefutably a lot thicker than Davis, no question about that.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#34 » by ThatBoyNick » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:38 am

Davis is a thin Power Forward, Shaq is heavy Center, so not a good comparison. Nobody has ever really has had the weight and agility to defend Shaq well. As a Rocket fan I remember Yao did decent, he was 310 and had a length advantage being 5 inches taller, but Shaq was much quicker and had a lower center of gravity so he still bullied him at times. Wilt and Kareem where both 7'1, 270-80, I wonder how Prime Shaq would have fared against them.
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#35 » by MyUniBroDavis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:40 pm

tsherkin wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:I mean, he is really scrunched up

Davis has definitely put on weight, and he's certainly not short. But yeah, DMC is irrefutably a lot thicker than Davis, no question about that.

yeah, I guess your right.
He does look like he is getting better and better though
Now back to the matchup...
The thing about this question, is that we really don't know how Davis will play next year, if he stays healthy. Pretty much every source says he will have a very different role, and he will also be a primary passer (post all star, he averaged 5.5 assists per 100 possessions, granted, possession stats aren't perfect, but it's interesting to note, especially since his turnover per 100 possessions actually dropped slightly to 1.9.)

But back to the matchup, shaq would dominate Davis because of weight, because obviously, no matter how heavy Davis is, shaq Makes him look tiny. Davis is 253 pounds now btw. Also, Davis's body type effects this as well.
Davis would probably beat him in terms of face up and just take open jumpers from the top of the key. He actually is a much better shooter from the top than the sides. When it comes to a one on one matchup, he would probably only shoot in his "hot spots" where he generally shot 48-49%. Also, developing a 3 point shot will extend his range, and Imo when players develop three point shots, they usually get better at jump shooting in general
But if they played a one on one match or anything, shaq would win for obvious reasons.
But what we don't know is how he will improve this year. Obviously I'm biased, but I personally believe that if he stays healthy, this will be his "true" breakout year. He is working on personal sessions with Darren erman, who imo is the best defensive coordinator assistant in the nba, and looked to be working extensively on the pick and roll and post situations.

I know I might be going off topic, but I personally believe that the Pelicans will be a really good team this year. When I got started here, I didn't believe in advanced stats, and doctor mj killed me on that. But a few weeks ago, I started looking up some synergy stats, and incorporated a points per play chart overall, and put gentry play tendencies into the Pelicans offense. Obviously you are considered one of the best posters in the forum, so can I pm this to you?

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by tsherkin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:39 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote:He does look like he is getting better and better though

No doubt. If he can ever stay consistently healthy, he will be a dominant force in the league for a very long time. Davis is ALREADY very good. Perhaps a tad overrated on defense, but remarkably good on offense and with basically ceilingless potential.

But back to the matchup, shaq would dominate Davis because of weight, because obviously, no matter how heavy Davis is, shaq

Ultimately it comes down to a truth that these guys both attack in ways which play to the weaknesses of the other. Shaq's power game, Davis' perimeter and off-ball game. I'm pretty sure they'd give it to one another back and forth, because neither can stop the things the other does best.

But a few weeks ago, I started looking up some synergy stats, and incorporated a points per play chart overall, and put gentry play tendencies into the Pelicans offense. Obviously you are considered one of the best posters in the forum, so can I pm this to you?

What's this? Unsolicited ego-buffing?

Why yes, absolutely you can PM me. :D
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,736

Post#37 » by GSP » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:18 am

Ive sen Ad get overpowered and beaten man to man by bigs like Pekovic and Cousins. Shaq would make him Bbq chicken easily lol
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager

Post#38 » by MyUniBroDavis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:35 am

tsherkin wrote:
MyUniBroDavis wrote:He does look like he is getting better and better though

No doubt. If he can ever stay consistently healthy, he will be a dominant force in the league for a very long time. Davis is ALREADY very good. Perhaps a tad overrated on defense, but remarkably good on offense and with basically ceilingless potential.

But back to the matchup, shaq would dominate Davis because of weight, because obviously, no matter how heavy Davis is, shaq

Ultimately it comes down to a truth that these guys both attack in ways which play to the weaknesses of the other. Shaq's power game, Davis' perimeter and off-ball game. I'm pretty sure they'd give it to one another back and forth, because neither can stop the things the other does best.

But a few weeks ago, I started looking up some synergy stats, and incorporated a points per play chart overall, and put gentry play tendencies into the Pelicans offense. Obviously you are considered one of the best posters in the forum, so can I pm this to you?

What's this? Unsolicited ego-buffing?

Why yes, absolutely you can PM me. :D

ok, so for some reason, I literally cannot pm anyone, so ill just post the link to the page here
http://www.pelicansreport.com/showthread.php?84877-My-take-on-how-Gentry-will-help-the-offense-Also-an-idea-for-a-new-statistic
its not exact.
what I made the statistic for was to see how the pelicans could function when running plays at a frequency that the warriors (whom gentry was an offensive coach for) ran certain plays.
the stat itself might be irrelevant, but i mostly used it to predict offensive changes coming from coaching changes.

Return to Player Comparisons