Wes Unseld

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,475

Wes Unseld 

Post#1 » by 70sFan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:51 pm

He was one of the most unique players ever. Both overrated and underrated historicaly. How good would he be in today NBA? I saw opinions that he would be role player similar to Chuck Hayes, but I disagree. He was one of the best rebounders ever (just look at how he steals every single rebound from players 5 inches taller than him). Also amazing passer, for me better than Noah from what I've seen. I'm not sure how good he would be, but he would still be a special player.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Re: Wes Unseld 

Post#2 » by Quotatious » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:05 pm

He would be like 2014 Noah. Shorter, and less of a shotblocker, but stronger and more dominant on the boards. Excellent defender, rebounder, passer. Could knock down a 15-feet jumpshot if you left him open. Scoring was probably his biggest weakness (and he wasn't very quick due to his weight). Well, one big advantage over Noah he has is that Unseld was extremely durable. Never really had a serious injury, could play heavy minutes for many consecutive seasons. Great leadership and "intangibles".

Oh, and he's arguably the GOAT pick setter.

Would be a fringe top 10 player today, I think.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#3 » by 70sFan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:19 pm

To be fair he was better scorer from what I've seen/read than Noah (even in 2014 season). While he isn't even above average on this aspect, he is still good offensive player with his passing and setting picks.
I think he would be in coversation for the best center in the league.

Also, great that you mention his pick setting ability. When someone tried to fight with him on the screens, it was like fighting with a wall. Many times guards just fall down after attacking his screen. Not to mention his high BIQ
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,586

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:49 pm

My favorite Unseld skill, one I've rarely seen, is his ability to pull down a rebound and before bringing his arms down below his head, he would throw a two handed pass out to start the break. Never seen anyone as good at this as Unseld. The size, mobility, and lack of post moves would be a problem (as they were then), but a guy whose impact was greater than his numbers.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
CaliBullsFan
Banned User
And1: 244

Post#5 » by CaliBullsFan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:49 pm

70sFan wrote:He was one of the most unique players ever. Both overrated and underrated historicaly. How good would he be in today NBA? I saw opinions that he would be role player similar to Chuck Hayes, but I disagree. He was one of the best rebounders ever (just look at how he steals every single rebound from players 5 inches taller than him). Also amazing passer, for me better than Noah from what I've seen. I'm not sure how good he would be, but he would still be a special player.

Who overrates Wes Unseld
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,186

Post#6 » by D.Brasco » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:53 pm

GOAT legs

70sFan
RealGM

Post#7 » by 70sFan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:54 pm

I think people who only looks at awards - he doesn't deverse MVP and also his FMVP is questionable. On the other hand people look at his stats and says he was just a role player, so underrates him. I think he is more underrated than overrated, but still both
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#8 » by Quotatious » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:13 pm

70sFan wrote:I think people who only looks at awards - he doesn't deverse MVP and also his FMVP is questionable. On the other hand people look at his stats and says he was just a role player, so underrates him. I think he is more underrated than overrated, but still both

I agree with all of that. 1968-69 was a relatively weak MVP race, but Willis Reed would be my pick for the RS MVP that year (and I would give it to Jerry West or Kareem in 1970, instead of Reed - looking at the 1969-70 Lakers, Wilt missed almost the entire regular season, Baylor only played 54 games, Hairston played 55, so the only star who was consistently healthy was West, who played 74, and they still made the playoffs).
70sFan
RealGM

Post#9 » by 70sFan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:31 pm

Agree, but still Willis MVP isn't a bad choise in 1970. He was the best player of the best team in the league (this year still better than Frazier for me).
CaliBullsFan
Banned User
And1: 244

Post#10 » by CaliBullsFan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:12 am

70sFan wrote:I think people who only looks at awards - he doesn't deverse MVP and also his FMVP is questionable. On the other hand people look at his stats and says he was just a role player, so underrates him. I think he is more underrated than overrated, but still both

69 was a weak year for the MVP( due to injuries) but who deserved it more? The Bullets had the best record that year and Wes was clearly their best player. Willis owned him in the playoffs but its a regular season award. Who would you have given FMVP to if not Wes?
CavaliersFTW
Junior
And1: 435

Post#11 » by CavaliersFTW » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:28 am

I know he's among the shortest if not THE shortest full-time-career centers in NBA history. Listed at 6-7 or 6-8 depending on the season however in his bare feet he stood 6 foot 5 and 1/2. And he wasn't a great leaper either. Extremely solid though, 245-270 weight range.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS8hUd6mAYU[/youtube]

Return to Player Comparisons