if Amare retires today, would he make HOF?

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Is Amare a HOFer base on what he has done to this point?

YES
28%
NO
72%

Total votes: 32

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,239

Re: if Amare retires today, would he make HOF? 

Post#21 » by trex_8063 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:18 pm

Quotatious wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:I kinda think not.

I look at guys like Shawn Kemp, Maurice Lucas, Buck Williams, Tom Chambers, Detlef Schrempf, Yao Ming, Bill Laimbeer, all who have not been voted in. 5-time All-NBA aside, I don't think his career has too significant an edge (if any at all) on most of these guys.

Also Kevin Johnson's still not in! (rigged! :curse: ).

Yeah, KJ really needs to get in. Even his playoff series against Houston in '94 and '95 are HOF worthy (despite the fact that it occured in a losing effort both times - especially '95 was amazing - 28/4/9 on 66% TS is '15 Steph Curry-like statline, and he clearly outplayed Barkley in that series), and obviously he had that amazing 4-year run between '89 and '92.

Also, how about the fact that KJ is one of only three players in NBA history who averaged at least 20 points, 10 assists and shot 50% from the field in the same season? He actually did it twice, in '89 and '90, Magic also did it twice, CP3 has done it once so far.

I think Yao is a lock. He'll get in as soon as he's eligible.

Amar'e wouldn't be in my Hall of Fame, but I think he has a 50/50 chance. About the same as Chris Webber.

Forgot about Webber. There's one more PF who deserves to get in before Amar'e, imo.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#22 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:00 pm

They have Calvin Murphy in there... so clearly Amare is in if that is bar to get in.... There shouldn't be some great standard to get in if you have Calvin Murphy in there. We might think there is, but in reality there are alot of eh players in there but then again there are so many other players that are so much better than him, so who knows. Murphy was never good enough to stand out among his peers(no all NBA selections) you shouldn't be anywhere near the hof. It took forever for Artis Gilmore to make it for example.
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#23 » by mischievous » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:48 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:They have Calvin Murphy in there... so clearly Amare is in if that is bar to get in.... There shouldn't be some great standard to get in if you have Calvin Murphy in there. We might think there is, but in reality there are alot of eh players in there but then again there are so many other players that are so much better than him, so who knows. Murphy was never good enough to stand out among his peers(no all NBA selections) you shouldn't be anywhere near the hof. It took forever for Artis Gilmore to make it for example.

Yeah, the hof criteria and selections do seem pretty inconsistent. I imagine voter bias plays a big part in that though.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,958

Post#24 » by tsherkin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:04 pm

So there are two questions here:

1) Should Amare make the HOF as it exists in its present and stupid form?

and

2) Should Amare make the HOF in an ideal construction where the HOF is an NBA-only Legends club?

I think he's probably 60/40 for the HOF because he was very good for a high-intensity peak (at least on offense), made some noise in the playoffs, was iconic, part of some very impressive Phoenix teams and put up some fan-loved PPGzzz and dunks. The HOF is a joke, and he's better than a fair number of guys who got in (like, for example, most of the 60s-era Celtics that are in there just because they were on a title team).

The answer to #2 is "probably not, because there are tons of guys who had similar career arcs and aren't yet in, so why should he aside from recency bias?"
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#25 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Quotatious wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:I kinda think not.

I look at guys like Shawn Kemp, Maurice Lucas, Buck Williams, Tom Chambers, Detlef Schrempf, Yao Ming, Bill Laimbeer, all who have not been voted in. 5-time All-NBA aside, I don't think his career has too significant an edge (if any at all) on most of these guys.

Also Kevin Johnson's still not in! (rigged! :curse: ).

Yeah, KJ really needs to get in. Even his playoff series against Houston in '94 and '95 are HOF worthy (despite the fact that it occured in a losing effort both times - especially '95 was amazing - 28/4/9 on 66% TS is '15 Steph Curry-like statline, and he clearly outplayed Barkley in that series), and obviously he had that amazing 4-year run between '89 and '92.

Also, how about the fact that KJ is one of only three players in NBA history who averaged at least 20 points, 10 assists and shot 50% from the field in the same season? He actually did it twice, in '89 and '90, Magic also did it twice, CP3 has done it once so far.

I think Yao is a lock. He'll get in as soon as he's eligible.

Amar'e wouldn't be in my Hall of Fame, but I think he has a 50/50 chance. About the same as Chris Webber.

Ths recent allegations and the fact there has been others is probably part of the reason he Hasn't gotten in. I mean even though he belongs from a player standpoint do you think the HOF wants to honor a guy and then have it turn out to be he is a huge scumbag / molester
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life

Return to Player Comparisons