Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,318

Re: Most career value lost to injuries? 

Post#41 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:30 pm

tsherkin wrote:
And Clyde, below league average is crap. It doesn't matter if it is -0.7% or -2.5%. Most especially with reasonable usage.

For one, he had back to back post seasons with 56% TS putting up 19.5 PPG. This is a 30 game sample size against better competition than he would see on average during the regular season. Smaller sample size, but significant enough that it suggests he could score on higher efficiency going forward.

Let's say 2 players score 20 PPG, but one scores on 53% TS and the other scores on 50% TS. Are you really going to say that 3% difference is insignificant? I'd consider the 50% guy well below average whereas the 53 guy about average.

And my main point was simply that we likely hadn't seen sampson at his best since his career derailed due to injury in his 4th season. I wouldn't put him in my top 3 for this question. Maybe there was some confusion there.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#42 » by tsherkin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:45 am

Owly wrote:Aging could be part of it. On the other hand I think the trajectory of his advanced stats (especially WS/48 but also PER) from 66-70 rather suggest that (1) he could be an effective player at age 35 and (2) it was injuries that were primarily what was doing damage.

Just before I dig in, I want to point out that I'm mostly playing DA here, because his actual efficacy looked fairly similar to me and because the age range was intriguing. I'm not really deep into my position, just thought it would be cool to explore.

The raw stats don't do it justice in that the league norms (thinking particularly in terms of efficiency) were rising and other stars (Oscar and West for example) rose with the league whilst Baylor didn't

Sure, yeah, but their efficiency had some clear origins, right? I talked about Baylor's draw rate, but West and Oscar? West was at .516 FTr by his second season, when he was a 52.4% TS guy. By his fourth year, he was reasonably efficient by TODAY'S standards, even without a 3pt line. Like, he posted 55.7%+ TS from 64-71, and that's roughly +2.3% over 2014-2015 league average. He hit the league at 46.8%, but managed 52.4%, 52.3% and 56.2% thereafter. It was sharp and it was immediate. Baylor never looked anything like that during his career.

Oscar had a .496 FTr as a rookie. He and West both drove WAY aggressively, whereas Baylor was more about catch-and-shoot and fadeaways. Oscar's 55.5% TS led the league when he was a rookie. He didn't get under 55% again until 72, his final All-Star season, when he posted 54% against lgav of 50.4%.

As covered in the previous post the extra value added by genuine superstar years is very valuable, and I don't think just because a player had more valuable years than others, it precludes them from losing a lot of value if there's a fair spell of absence in which one projects very high value.

Sure, but now we're talking about a tier-two star more than anything else, one obviously inferior to his own teammate as early as West's second season in terms of offensive value, so the lost utility of his injured seasons is somewhat more debatable. It just strikes me as not so odd because he turned 30 only two years after this pivot point, right, and was a way athletic guy himself initially.

I'd say this is Hill-comparable. 4 (or 3) years considerably affected by injury (Baylor playing more than Hill, but as noted way less effective than he had been, and arguably even '68 and '69 are less than what he ended up being capable of and thus might be injury affected).

Mmmm. I think we disagree here.

Post-Detroit, he had a 4-game season, a 14-game season, a 29-game season, an entire year off, then a 67-game season, then a 21-game season, before finally stabilizing as a roleplayer in his mid-30s and into his age-40 season (for 29 games).

I think the 5 out of six years where he didn't even make it to 30 games are a lot more value lost than Baylor's diminished production over 7 years from 64-70.

Hill was a FINE roleplayer when he finally got healthy. He developed a 3, his defense was great, he was very useful. But he played 135 of 492 possible games in that first stretch, right when he still had much higher potential value as a result of his relative youth. That's just over a quarter of the potential games. Merely being ON the court, Baylor was providing more value, than Hill in his complete absence therefrom, IMO.
ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,246

Post#43 » by ReaLiez » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:27 am

Walton
Hill
Roy
Tmac
Rose
Penny
Magic
Yao
Sabonis
Sampson
JO
Amare
Justice
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#44 » by nurseryc » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:31 am

Chuck Texas wrote:Bill Walton
Grant Hill
Yao Ming/Ralph Sampson

probably forgetting somebody obvious

Andrew Bogut. Even with one arm he has been unbelievable on the defence end over the last decade. One has to wonder what could have been had he not had his arm snapped in half in one of the worst freak injuries you will ever see in his prime.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,192

Post#45 » by TroubleS0me » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:45 am

Danny Manning?
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#46 » by Owly » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:05 am

tsherkin wrote:
Owly wrote:Aging could be part of it. On the other hand I think the trajectory of his advanced stats (especially WS/48 but also PER) from 66-70 rather suggest that (1) he could be an effective player at age 35 and (2) it was injuries that were primarily what was doing damage.

Just before I dig in, I want to point out that I'm mostly playing DA here, because his actual efficacy looked fairly similar to me and because the age range was intriguing. I'm not really deep into my position, just thought it would be cool to explore.

The raw stats don't do it justice in that the league norms (thinking particularly in terms of efficiency) were rising and other stars (Oscar and West for example) rose with the league whilst Baylor didn't

Sure, yeah, but their efficiency had some clear origins, right? I talked about Baylor's draw rate, but West and Oscar? West was at .516 FTr by his second season, when he was a 52.4% TS guy. By his fourth year, he was reasonably efficient by TODAY'S standards, even without a 3pt line. Like, he posted 55.7%+ TS from 64-71, and that's roughly +2.3% over 2014-2015 league average. He hit the league at 46.8%, but managed 52.4%, 52.3% and 56.2% thereafter. It was sharp and it was immediate. Baylor never looked anything like that during his career.

Oscar had a .496 FTr as a rookie. He and West both drove WAY aggressively, whereas Baylor was more about catch-and-shoot and fadeaways. Oscar's 55.5% TS led the league when he was a rookie. He didn't get under 55% again until 72, his final All-Star season, when he posted 54% against lgav of 50.4%.

As covered in the previous post the extra value added by genuine superstar years is very valuable, and I don't think just because a player had more valuable years than others, it precludes them from losing a lot of value if there's a fair spell of absence in which one projects very high value.

Sure, but now we're talking about a tier-two star more than anything else, one obviously inferior to his own teammate as early as West's second season in terms of offensive value, so the lost utility of his injured seasons is somewhat more debatable. It just strikes me as not so odd because he turned 30 only two years after this pivot point, right, and was a way athletic guy himself initially.

I'd say this is Hill-comparable. 4 (or 3) years considerably affected by injury (Baylor playing more than Hill, but as noted way less effective than he had been, and arguably even '68 and '69 are less than what he ended up being capable of and thus might be injury affected).

Mmmm. I think we disagree here.

Post-Detroit, he had a 4-game season, a 14-game season, a 29-game season, an entire year off, then a 67-game season, then a 21-game season, before finally stabilizing as a roleplayer in his mid-30s and into his age-40 season (for 29 games).

I think the 5 out of six years where he didn't even make it to 30 games are a lot more value lost than Baylor's diminished production over 7 years from 64-70.

Hill was a FINE roleplayer when he finally got healthy. He developed a 3, his defense was great, he was very useful. But he played 135 of 492 possible games in that first stretch, right when he still had much higher potential value as a result of his relative youth. That's just over a quarter of the potential games. Merely being ON the court, Baylor was providing more value, than Hill in his complete absence therefrom, IMO.

To clarify my own points. West and Robertson's efficiency broadly improved as the league improved (obviously %s are subject to significant fluctuations). The point isn't Baylor would match them, it was he was also coming up with the rising tide, until big injury significant dropoff, further injury problems, further dropoff, eventual recovery/adjustment.

As before the trajectory as it might have been (say towards '70 numbers but stopping at '67).
'64: 25.77142857 PER; 0.199714286 WS/48
'65: 24.94285714; 0.194428571
'66: 24.11428571; 0.189142857
'67: 23.28571429; 0.183857143

And you don't have to think those projections are perfect. You just have to think they're broadly ballpark plausible (and you could shift it either way by tracking towards '68 numbers through '67 or towards '70 through '69). Maybe the WS falls off a little more. But however you slice it, that's a lot of value. Especially since metrics (not capturing his D and how that has fallen) call '65 below average (PER slightly above, WS way below and only 0.5 OWS for the season), '64 a bit above average. Adjust for D and he might be average in '64 and below that in '65. Baylor's still clearly preferable to his actual replacements. But if they'd had better picks (and more money) to replace him ... How much value does that guy have versus a superstar? How many of that guy (or how many years of that guy) would you trade for someone in the ballpark of '63 Baylor?

I don't think Hill is a perfect analogy (no relatively modern teams would keep playing a guy through all that; but I guess Bernard King fits best in terms of injury near peak production, slow burn recovery towards a second, clearly lesser but impressive for age peak, injured again, ultimately unsuccessful attempted 2nd comeback), so the point wasn't he lost as much. But when Hill's case was raised as "this isn't ...", there are signficant parallels in terms of a high peak guy getting injured near his apex, coming back as eventually something useful but never being close to the same. And whilst Baylor stayed on court for his recovery, there's the point above, what would you give for '63ish Baylor. What matters isn't just how long you're gone, it's what you lost. Baylor's average rank on 17 published all time lists is 11.47058824 (obviously older players get an advantage on appearing on earlier, ie early-mid 90s, lists with less competition) and that legacy (whether it's too generous or not) was built on a high peak/prime through '63 (coming off a Metropolitan Sportwriters Sam Davis Memorial Award MVP), when you lose that and get a serviceable starter, you lost a lot of value.

Even devil's advocate wise I'm not sure you can call Baylor a "second-tier star" (non-DA I'm not sure I'd do that at all of prime Baylor, but I guess it depends on how one defines the tiers) based on the idea he's not West, whilst also saying "well he's still creating shots" as evidence he's "back" or "fine" or whatever is meant to be implied by the fga numbers, when his percentages are in the toilet and he's playing with said star.

Baylor when injured was a superstar, a perpetual MVP discussion guy. At 35 he was a very good player (though D compromised). It's the injury. '70 could be an outlier. But that's not a normal career trajectory. Massive dropoffs at 29 and 31, partial recovery at 33, best year of the 2nd half of his career at 35 (back in the 60s). There are acknowledgements to be made at the margins (expansion). But I can't see it as not being the injury and I don't care if he's on court if he's a "meh" player
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by tsherkin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:55 am

Owly wrote:To clarify my own points. West and Robertson's efficiency broadly improved as the league improved (obviously %s are subject to significant fluctuations). The point isn't Baylor would match them, it was he was also coming up with the rising tide, until big injury significant dropoff, further injury problems, further dropoff, eventual recovery/adjustment.

Hmmm, yes, that's why I made some comments along those lines earlier. I saw his WS/48, and they were crap after 63, which certainly fits the profile of your point even though his other markers were way similar to pre-64. It's certainly possible that changing his usage to league-average as it motored on upwards would have made a big difference for L.A.

My point was that you brought up West and Oscar, right? Oscar CRUSHED the league as a scorer to an extent that was effectively Wilt-like... and from his rookie year onwards. By Year 2, West was already better than Baylor had ever been, so it's hard for me to look at those guys as a reasonable analog, which is what I thought you were trying to do. Both of them were way, way more aggressive going to the basket and had reasonably different styles and levels of efficacy compared to even 63 Baylor. Perhaps I'm merely struggling with your point because I'm thinking about it the wrong way, though. Oscar didn't really change with the league, he kicked the league in the face from his rookie season. West sort of altered a little but with the league, but more like as he figured out his own game, because he had a significant deviation from league average over the length of his career. League average in his second season was 47.9%, so he was +4.5% as soon as his second year in the league, which is not something we saw from Baylor. The 46.8% TS West posted as a rookie was actually -0.1% TS compared to league average and more in line with what we normally see from rookie volume scorers.

Baylor at his peak was at 51.9% in 63, against 49.3%... which was great. It also represented a 2.7% jump from his previous season, a career-high at the line and a 2.5% increase in his FG% (career-high before 69-70, which was injury-shortened), and 5 fewer shots per game.

Of course, none of that is super-reliable either, at least for the direct year-to-year comparison, because he's been playing on weekend passes from the Reserves in 62, so judging that is... well, entirely without modern context. That was bad-ass, and I suppose if he'd had a full season instead of that crap, the plot of his career arc might have looked even further different, and maybe enhanced the value lost as he adapted to the developing league.

Even devil's advocate wise I'm not sure you can call Baylor a "second-tier star" (non-DA I'm not sure I'd do that at all of prime Baylor, but I guess it depends on how one defines the tiers) based on the idea he's not West, whilst also saying "well he's still creating shots" as evidence he's "back" or "fine" or whatever is meant to be implied by the fga numbers, when his percentages are in the toilet and he's playing with said star.

For clarity's sake, my first tier is the ultra-dominants. Kareem, Jordan, Russell, etc, etc, etc. Baylor in no way compares to that upper echelon of the NBA's ultra-elite, particularly when it's debatable that he was better than young West and clear that he never reached the level West reached in his prime. That's all.

It's generally how I approach someone like Carmelo Anthony. Melo, like Baylor, is a fine player and gets a lot of flak for this or that, but mainly for not being one of the most freakishly gifted and successful players in league history. That's largely his greatest sin, not being good enough, and that's roughly my opinion of Baylor. Very important to the league, but surpassed before he was even injured, let alone retired.

Meantime, were his percentages in the toilet, really? Through 63, he shot 43.1% from the floor; 64-70, 43.5%. He had a couple of down years in 65 and 66 that looked a like like his first two years, but in that stretch, he shot 44%+ (e.g. better than his pre-64 best) 4 times, 3 of which which were 75+-game seasons. He had three seasons of 80%+ FT to none prior to 64. His advanced metrics were way worse, sure, but again, his scoring percentages were similar, so it's not that his numbers were in the tank so much as that they were not evolving and his draw rate was hindered... but again, half a dozen of those years were in his 30s... into the end of his mid-30s. You're going to see decline. Even Michael Jordan was physically different in that same stretch of career. Kobe, as well. We see it time and again, and with superior medical assistance, training and so forth helping out contemporary players.

I certainly see where you say the fall-off happened, but I wonder how much of it was a mixture of age, the knees and the fact that the league was changing and he wasn't that much undercutting his value.

Baylor when injured was a superstar, a perpetual MVP discussion guy. At 35 he was a very good player (though D compromised). It's the injury. '70 could be an outlier. But that's not a normal career trajectory. Massive dropoffs at 29 and 31, partial recovery at 33, best year of the 2nd half of his career at 35 (back in the 60s). There are acknowledgements to be made at the margins (expansion). But I can't see it as not being the injury and I don't care if he's on court if he's a "meh" player

Keep in mind that the 60s weren't the greatest for longevity in general. Heavy minutes logged sapped guys even earlier than the usual rigors of the league, and we often see players tailing off into their 30s as quickness ebbs.

But let's look at something:

Code: Select all

Yr:  lgav / Baylor / Diff / FG% / FTr / Age

59: 45.7 / 48.8 / +3.1 / 40.8 / .462 / 24
60: 46.3 / 48.9 / +2.6 / 42.4 / .432 / 25
61: 46.9 / 49.8 / +2.9 / 43.0 / .398 / 26
62: 47.9 / 49.2 / +1.3 / 42.8 / .397 / 27
63: 49.3 / 51.9 / +1.6 / 45.3 / .348 / 28
64: 48.5 / 48.7 / +0.2 / 42.5 / .330 / 29
65: 47.9 / 46.3 / -1.6 / 40.1 / .321 / 30
66: 48.7 / 45.6 / -3.1 / 40.1 / .326 / 31
67: 49.3 / 49.1 / -0.2 / 42.9 / .326 / 32
68: 49.8 / 50.5 / +0.7 / 44.3 / .363 / 33
69: 49.1 / 50.0 / +0.9 / 44.7 / .347 / 34
70: 51.1 / 53.7 / +2.6 / 48.6 / .340 / 35

So now we can start to see what I'm talking about some, right?

He definitely had some down years, mostly 65 and 66... but generally speaking, his FG% and overall scoring efficiency had recovered by the time 67 rolled round. His draw rate had diminished... but it had been doing that since he turned 26, before the injuries really became any kind of an issue. It's a fairly reasonable downward slope going along with his age. League average rises enough that even his BEST season is only 0.3% better relative to league average than the year before, and that starts to take the legs out from beneath him as far as his offensive value as reflected in something like WS/48.

Like I said, he was an OLD rookie, so compared to modern standards, the bigger travesty is that he lost half a decade of play with the apex of his physical tools.

The other thing to consider is that his rebounding began to decline, which wasn't just about his knee, it was about the league evolving. As better bigs got into the league, it became progressively more difficult for little dudes to dominate the glass, and he shows a generally linear decline in his rebounding. Then his counting stats declined some because he played 42.1 mpg before 64, and 38.9 from 64-70 (not that this affected his more advanced metrics, of course).

Remember:

59-63: 42.1 mpg, 27.2 FGA/g at 43.1% FG, 11.0 FTA/g at 77.8% FT, 32.0 ppg, 16.7 rpg, 4.4 apg, 49.9% TS, .195 WS/48
64-70: 38.9 mpg, 21.8 FGA/g at 43.1% FG, 7.3 FTA/g at 78.1% FT, 24.5 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 4.3 apg, 49.0% TS, .113 WS/48

But again, there are factors obscuring things beyond his injuries. The league change, it evolved. What he was doing after 61 was progressively less impressive, and that period wasn't one markedly dampened by injuries. His scoring efficiency was lesser by virtue of the improving league, rebounding going down, draw rate declining semi-linearly after his rookie season... Remember, he was never at .400 again after his second year, and though some of that is volume shooting, some of it is the general decline of a dude in his late 20s and progressive into his 30s.

Now, back on your side of things, his post-63 playoff performance tells it's own brand of different story, so there's another angle for discussion that kind of highlights the difference in Baylor pre/post injury... though again, those other factors do come into play.

Interesting stuff, regardless. Fun to think about. Makes me want to do a study on wing scorer age decline. :D
Narigo
Veteran
And1: 819

Post#48 » by Narigo » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Sidney Moncrief
Tiny Archibald
Narigo's Fantasy Team

PG: Damian Lillard
SG: Sidney Moncrief
SF:
PF: James Worthy
C: Tim Duncan

BE: Robert Horry
BE:
BE:
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#49 » by chrismikayla » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:03 pm

Danny Manning?
[gfycat][/gfycat]
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,013

Post#50 » by Owly » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:18 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Owly wrote:To clarify my own points. West and Robertson's efficiency broadly improved as the league improved (obviously %s are subject to significant fluctuations). The point isn't Baylor would match them, it was he was also coming up with the rising tide, until big injury significant dropoff, further injury problems, further dropoff, eventual recovery/adjustment.

Hmmm, yes, that's why I made some comments along those lines earlier. I saw his WS/48, and they were crap after 63, which certainly fits the profile of your point even though his other markers were way similar to pre-64. It's certainly possible that changing his usage to league-average as it motored on upwards would have made a big difference for L.A.

My point was that you brought up West and Oscar, right? Oscar CRUSHED the league as a scorer to an extent that was effectively Wilt-like... and from his rookie year onwards. By Year 2, West was already better than Baylor had ever been, so it's hard for me to look at those guys as a reasonable analog, which is what I thought you were trying to do. Both of them were way, way more aggressive going to the basket and had reasonably different styles and levels of efficacy compared to even 63 Baylor. Perhaps I'm merely struggling with your point because I'm thinking about it the wrong way, though. Oscar didn't really change with the league, he kicked the league in the face from his rookie season. West sort of altered a little but with the league, but more like as he figured out his own game, because he had a significant deviation from league average over the length of his career. League average in his second season was 47.9%, so he was +4.5% as soon as his second year in the league, which is not something we saw from Baylor. The 46.8% TS West posted as a rookie was actually -0.1% TS compared to league average and more in line with what we normally see from rookie volume scorers.

Baylor at his peak was at 51.9% in 63, against 49.3%... which was great. It also represented a 2.7% jump from his previous season, a career-high at the line and a 2.5% increase in his FG% (career-high before 69-70, which was injury-shortened), and 5 fewer shots per game.

Of course, none of that is super-reliable either, at least for the direct year-to-year comparison, because he's been playing on weekend passes from the Reserves in 62, so judging that is... well, entirely without modern context. That was bad-ass, and I suppose if he'd had a full season instead of that crap, the plot of his career arc might have looked even further different, and maybe enhanced the value lost as he adapted to the developing league.

For clarity's sake, my first tier is the ultra-dominants. Kareem, Jordan, Russell, etc, etc, etc. Baylor in no way compares to that upper echelon of the NBA's ultra-elite, particularly when it's debatable that he was better than young West and clear that he never reached the level West reached in his prime. That's all.

It's generally how I approach someone like Carmelo Anthony. Melo, like Baylor, is a fine player and gets a lot of flak for this or that, but mainly for not being one of the most freakishly gifted and successful players in league history. That's largely his greatest sin, not being good enough, and that's roughly my opinion of Baylor. Very important to the league, but surpassed before he was even injured, let alone retired.

Meantime, were his percentages in the toilet, really? Through 63, he shot 43.1% from the floor; 64-70, 43.5%. He had a couple of down years in 65 and 66 that looked a like like his first two years, but in that stretch, he shot 44%+ (e.g. better than his pre-64 best) 4 times, 3 of which which were 75+-game seasons. He had three seasons of 80%+ FT to none prior to 64. His advanced metrics were way worse, sure, but again, his scoring percentages were similar, so it's not that his numbers were in the tank so much as that they were not evolving and his draw rate was hindered... but again, half a dozen of those years were in his 30s... into the end of his mid-30s. You're going to see decline. Even Michael Jordan was physically different in that same stretch of career. Kobe, as well. We see it time and again, and with superior medical assistance, training and so forth helping out contemporary players.

I certainly see where you say the fall-off happened, but I wonder how much of it was a mixture of age, the knees and the fact that the league was changing and he wasn't that much undercutting his value.

Keep in mind that the 60s weren't the greatest for longevity in general. Heavy minutes logged sapped guys even earlier than the usual rigors of the league, and we often see players tailing off into their 30s as quickness ebbs.

But let's look at something:

Code: Select all

Yr:  lgav / Baylor / Diff / FG% / FTr / Age

59: 45.7 / 48.8 / +3.1 / 40.8 / .462 / 24
60: 46.3 / 48.9 / +2.6 / 42.4 / .432 / 25
61: 46.9 / 49.8 / +2.9 / 43.0 / .398 / 26
62: 47.9 / 49.2 / +1.3 / 42.8 / .397 / 27
63: 49.3 / 51.9 / +1.6 / 45.3 / .348 / 28
64: 48.5 / 48.7 / +0.2 / 42.5 / .330 / 29
65: 47.9 / 46.3 / -1.6 / 40.1 / .321 / 30
66: 48.7 / 45.6 / -3.1 / 40.1 / .326 / 31
67: 49.3 / 49.1 / -0.2 / 42.9 / .326 / 32
68: 49.8 / 50.5 / +0.7 / 44.3 / .363 / 33
69: 49.1 / 50.0 / +0.9 / 44.7 / .347 / 34
70: 51.1 / 53.7 / +2.6 / 48.6 / .340 / 35

So now we can start to see what I'm talking about some, right?

He definitely had some down years, mostly 65 and 66... but generally speaking, his FG% and overall scoring efficiency had recovered by the time 67 rolled round. His draw rate had diminished... but it had been doing that since he turned 26, before the injuries really became any kind of an issue. It's a fairly reasonable downward slope going along with his age. League average rises enough that even his BEST season is only 0.3% better relative to league average than the year before, and that starts to take the legs out from beneath him as far as his offensive value as reflected in something like WS/48.

Like I said, he was an OLD rookie, so compared to modern standards, the bigger travesty is that he lost half a decade of play with the apex of his physical tools.

The other thing to consider is that his rebounding began to decline, which wasn't just about his knee, it was about the league evolving. As better bigs got into the league, it became progressively more difficult for little dudes to dominate the glass, and he shows a generally linear decline in his rebounding. Then his counting stats declined some because he played 42.1 mpg before 64, and 38.9 from 64-70 (not that this affected his more advanced metrics, of course).

Remember:

59-63: 42.1 mpg, 27.2 FGA/g at 43.1% FG, 11.0 FTA/g at 77.8% FT, 32.0 ppg, 16.7 rpg, 4.4 apg, 49.9% TS, .195 WS/48
64-70: 38.9 mpg, 21.8 FGA/g at 43.1% FG, 7.3 FTA/g at 78.1% FT, 24.5 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 4.3 apg, 49.0% TS, .113 WS/48

But again, there are factors obscuring things beyond his injuries. The league change, it evolved. What he was doing after 61 was progressively less impressive, and that period wasn't one markedly dampened by injuries. His scoring efficiency was lesser by virtue of the improving league, rebounding going down, draw rate declining semi-linearly after his rookie season... Remember, he was never at .400 again after his second year, and though some of that is volume shooting, some of it is the general decline of a dude in his late 20s and progressive into his 30s.

Now, back on your side of things, his post-63 playoff performance tells it's own brand of different story, so there's another angle for discussion that kind of highlights the difference in Baylor pre/post injury... though again, those other factors do come into play.

Interesting stuff, regardless. Fun to think about. Makes me want to do a study on wing scorer age decline. :D

West and Robertson were chosen because historically they were the guys considered in Baylor's tier, from that time who derived value from scoring and stayed in broadly in the same role (which rules out Wilt). Their trends upwards (Robertson's gentle, West's steeper) in absolute terms (broadly steady with league norms) suggest what a normal arc might be for a scoring star of that era. Yes, Baylor is older. He might be expected to flatten out in absolute terms around that time. That doesn't mean .519 TS to .463 and .456 (then recovering at 35 to .537) is normal. At all. FWIW on the comparison, from the little bits I've seen you might be underselling Elgin as a driver in terms of description as a jump shooter earlier, from the clips (e.g. https://youtu.be/gqwWfAO-p-Y?t=407, obiously highlights aren't an ideal reflection) he goes to the basket plenty but he doesn't tend to finish hard, taking off early, releasing late or going across, rather than at, the basket being issues that probably cost him points.

The "etc etc etc" (how many guys top 10, 20 ...) then the leap down to Melo, muddies the water about where your tiers are. Anyhow I don't buy Melo as a comp. Baylor got one of the media MVPs from that era (though Russell got the other one in '63), he was second in the official player vote for MVP, he was consistently a metric superstar (and on very limited evidence quite a bit better on D). Maybe '13 Melo is close to prime Baylor's standing, but more broadly, I'm not seeing it. This is obviously only peripheral to the main discussion.

And yes his percentages went into the toilet versus league norms and where he had been in '63 before the injury. .519 TS to .463 and .456. And they start climbing again getting back up to .537 in '70 which strongly suggests, "it's the injury". And pointing to his FT% just confirms it's not that he's forgotten how to shoot, it's that he can't get the good shots he should be able to because he's playing through injuries.

I can see age being a part of it. I can't see that he aged suddenly and was left behind by the league, and then suddenly got younger and caught up with the league at 35. I can see mitigating factors in terms of expansion, maybe '70 was flukey. It's a (two) huge dropoff(s) mid-career at a time when it's known he was suffering with injuries.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by tsherkin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Owly wrote:West and Robertson were chosen because historically they were the guys considered in Baylor's tier, from that time who derived value from scoring and stayed in broadly in the same role (which rules out Wilt). Their trends upwards (Robertson's gentle, West's steeper) in absolute terms (broadly steady with league norms) suggest what a normal arc might be for a scoring star of that era. Yes, Baylor is older. He might be expected to flatten out in absolute terms around that time. That doesn't mean .519 TS to .463 and .456 (then recovering at 35 to .537) is normal.

No, I agree that 65 and 66 were notable outliers. I don't think his TS% in a 54-game season during which he posted what was then the second-lowest shooting rate of his career really counts to the extent that you're describing, particularly with the wild outlier FG% he had that year as well. I think it is, perhaps, a bit misleading.

At all. FWIW on the comparison, from the little bits I've seen you might be underselling Elgin as a driver in terms of description as a jump shooter earlier, from the clips (e.g. https://youtu.be/gqwWfAO-p-Y?t=407, obiously highlights aren't an ideal reflection) he goes to the basket plenty but he doesn't tend to finish hard, taking off early, releasing late or going across, rather than at, the basket being issues that probably cost him points.

Oh, he was KNOWN for athletic forays to the hoop, don't get me wrong. But when he was maxing out his volume, he was spamming jumpers quite a lot to get it to happen, that's all I meant. He certainly wasn't a soft player. There are some era concerns about him going all the way to the rim which factor in as well.

The "etc etc etc" (how many guys top 10, 20 ...) then the leap down to Melo, muddies the water about where your tiers are. Anyhow I don't buy Melo as a comp. Baylor got one of the media MVPs from that era (though Russell got the other one in '63), he was second in the official player vote for MVP, he was consistently a metric superstar (and on very limited evidence quite a bit better on D). Maybe '13 Melo is close to prime Baylor's standing, but more broadly, I'm not seeing it. This is obviously only peripheral to the main discussion.

Sure. Melo has broadly been underrated in his own time because Lebron and Durant are so obviously superior by such a visible degree, but the point I was making was to point out that when I don't consider Baylor first tier, it isn't really hammering on Baylor so much as pointing out that my top tier is comprised of only players who are the best of the best...the legends in their own time kind of tier. I was casual about other tiering because the rest of the league is immaterial to my point. Does that make sense?

And yes his percentages went into the toilet versus league norms and where he had been in '63 before the injury. .519 TS to .463 and .456.

Sure, sure, but that was also a fairly wild outlier compared to his previous seasons, when he hadn't seen too much progression upwards... and he stabilized back to that level after 66.

And they start climbing again getting back up to .537 in '70 which strongly suggests, "it's the injury". And pointing to his FT% just confirms it's not that he's forgotten how to shoot, it's that he can't get the good shots he should be able to because he's playing through injuries.

Again, I kind of disagree. That dovetails with athletic decline (outside of the two obvious seasons where he was shooting basically 40% from the floor). The problem here is noise. At that age, declining ability to get to the basket even for hyper-athletes is quite normal. We've even seen it in Melo and Lebron, and we previously saw it in Jordan (which is actually the pivot of the whole 95 -> 96 narrative, really). It's hard to separate out what his mid-30s meant to Baylor compared to his knee, but in 67-69, we were seeing a lot of the sort of thing you expect from a guy deep into his 30s.

I can see age being a part of it. I can't see that he aged suddenly and was left behind by the league, and then suddenly got younger and caught up with the league at 35. I can see mitigating factors in terms of expansion, maybe '70 was flukey. It's a (two) huge dropoff(s) mid-career at a time when it's known he was suffering with injuries.

Sure, but now what we're really discussing is two seasons where his prime performance was stymied, and then a skill-based resurgence that was dampened by age (at least IMO, I mean). I am not trying to say injuries didn't bother him; it's quite well-known that they did.

What I am saying is that it appears to be that he was limited primarily in two seasons, and the rest of it was largely due to age. As his volume declined and he got a better handle on himself from 67 forward, he was able to get back to basically what he'd been doing before the injury (not specifically in 63, which strikes me as a peak season), before injuries finally broke him apart again.

More specifically, then, I feel that two seasons is a lot different than the half-dozen or so seasons that were robbed from Grant Hill, to take this back to where it began.

Return to Player Comparisons