How well did Cooper guard MJ?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

How well did Cooper guard MJ? 

Post#1 » by 70sFan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:53 pm

I saw some highlights from their games, but mostly focused on MJ. My question is: How good did Michael Cooper guard MJ? Based on numbers, he did not bad job against him. Cooper was amazing defender in his prime, one of the best man defenders ever.

A few weeks ago someone asked about the best defender on MJ ever. Everyone said about Payton, Dumars, sometimes Moncrief. From what I've seen Coop guarded Jordan better than Joe and Moncrief. Payton guard him well in 1996, but young Michael was a different animal. I don't think he would be even close to be as successfull as against 1996 MJ. Is Coop in the conversation?
Shot Clock
RealGM
And1: 17,443

Re: How good did Cooper guard MJ? 

Post#2 » by Shot Clock » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:36 pm

I have a game somewhere on VHS tape and when I watched it for that reason, Cooper wasn't able to handle young Jordan at all. I was expecting a battle but Jordan abused him.
anyone involved in that meddling to justice”. NO COLLUSION

- DJT
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Re: How good did Cooper guard MJ? 

Post#3 » by 70sFan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Any videos with their matchup?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Re: How well did Cooper guard MJ? 

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Moncrief had trouble with Jordan as well though Jordan said he was arguably the toughest opponent he ever faced. But that was more a two-way thing; Jordan was talking about Moncrief's relentless energy on both ends. Sid tended to get in his man's face which is more successful with jump shooter who he frequently abused than with a great slasher who is stronger and just as ridiculously quick. Jordan could beat Sid by taking him to the hole or posting him.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
bastillon
Head Coach
And1: 613

Re: How well did Cooper guard MJ? 

Post#5 » by bastillon » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:47 pm

70sFan wrote:I saw some highlights from their games, but mostly focused on MJ. My question is: How good did Michael Cooper guard MJ? Based on numbers, he did not bad job against him. Cooper was amazing defender in his prime, one of the best man defenders ever.

A few weeks ago someone asked about the best defender on MJ ever. Everyone said about Payton, Dumars, sometimes Moncrief. From what I've seen Coop guarded Jordan better than Joe and Moncrief. Payton guard him well in 1996, but young Michael was a different animal. I don't think he would be even close to be as successfull as against 1996 MJ. Is Coop in the conversation?

Moncrief? That guy was eaten alive by Jordan in the postseason in MJ's rookie season. Someone was insane.
Quotatious wrote: Bastillon is Hakeem. Combines style and substance.

Return to Player Comparisons