Top 15 Players Rated 1-100 Right Now.

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,324

Re: Top 15 Players Rated 1-100 Right Now. 

Post#21 » by mdonnelly1989 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 4:06 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:
mdonnelly1989 wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:
The reason why I usually don't post on threads like this is because I just don't like thinking about a player and giving him a ranking out of my head, I'd like to think it carefully.

But probably I'd do something like this.

Steph Curry
Handlings - 100
Shot creation - 100
Playmaking - 96
Scoring - 100
Rebounding - 85 (per position he's actually very good in that regard)
Defensive impact - 70

LeBron James
Handlings - 85
Shot creation - 95
Playmaking - 100
Scoring - 92
Rebounding - 90
Defensive impact - 85

I'd have to think about the values and stuff like that, and how much importance do I want to give to defensive impact, and if playmaking, scoring or handling should have the same weight. I'd also have to think about more categories. If I should adjust per position...

I just don't like to think if Steph is worth 100 then LeBron is worth 95.

And to be honest I don't want to do this for 10 players, or 15 players and it isn't the kind of ranking I'm willing to give a lot of thought to.

Sorry for not doing an entire list.

So you wouldn't be interested in doing these kind of ratings for the top 100 players in the league then.....

Lmao....

For 100 for me is completely out of question. Because to evaluate precisely 100 players I have to watch a lot more games than I'm doing currently. My work schedule this year has been diferent and I've been watching less NBA. Mostly Jazz, Cleveland and LAC games for me so far. Whenever I can I like to watch some GSW too. I watch something like 3 or 4 games per week (usually East and West game on Friday and Saturday). Sometimes (rarely) I watch some matchup during the week (1 Jazz game or some kind of matchup that really interests me).

I know haha! You still watch a good amount though. How do you define Defensive impact? And what about Defensive Skill in general? I'd say Curry now is around an 80ish.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#22 » by Joao Saraiva » Mon Feb 1, 2016 5:51 pm

mdonnelly1989 wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:
mdonnelly1989 wrote:
So you wouldn't be interested in doing these kind of ratings for the top 100 players in the league then.....

Lmao....

For 100 for me is completely out of question. Because to evaluate precisely 100 players I have to watch a lot more games than I'm doing currently. My work schedule this year has been diferent and I've been watching less NBA. Mostly Jazz, Cleveland and LAC games for me so far. Whenever I can I like to watch some GSW too. I watch something like 3 or 4 games per week (usually East and West game on Friday and Saturday). Sometimes (rarely) I watch some matchup during the week (1 Jazz game or some kind of matchup that really interests me).

I know haha! You still watch a good amount though. How do you define Defensive impact? And what about Defensive Skill in general? I'd say Curry now is around an 80ish.

I like to see it per position.

For a center it is very important to bring rim protection. If it's a guard I won't demand that from him, or a forward (it's a big plus, that's why I believe LeBron and Kirilenko are special players on D as SFs - at their peak).

For a guard I look more into his PnR defense, if he doesn't miss rotations, how good is he one on one in the perimeter and if players "abuse him" in the post when they're taller or stronger. For example, Billups was an ideal defender for a PG.

About Curry... well I like his PnR D, I like his gambling too. I don't think he misses a lot of rotations and he's OK on man to man D. I'd say overall he's a good defender, but far from elite. 80 sounds about right.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,324

Post#23 » by mdonnelly1989 » Tue Feb 2, 2016 11:57 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:
mdonnelly1989 wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:

I like to see it per position.

For a center it is very important to bring rim protection. If it's a guard I won't demand that from him, or a forward (it's a big plus, that's why I believe LeBron and Kirilenko are special players on D as SFs - at their peak).

For a guard I look more into his PnR defense, if he doesn't miss rotations, how good is he one on one in the perimeter and if players "abuse him" in the post when they're taller or stronger. For example, Billups was an ideal defender for a PG.

About Curry... well I like his PnR D, I like his gambling too. I don't think he misses a lot of rotations and he's OK on man to man D. I'd say overall he's a good defender, but far from elite. 80 sounds about right.

That's a nice breakdown.

Return to Player Comparisons