Where does Klay Thompson rank as a shooter

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

picc
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Where does Klay Thompson rank as a shooter 

Post#1 » by picc » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:10 am

In NBA history?

I feel like you could make good arguments both for and against him vs a wide array of all-time great shooters. But I'm leaning toward putting him closer to the top. Maybe its just because he plays next to Steph Curry that he's not being talked about more.

Where do you see Klay right now?
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,334

Re: Where does Klay Thompson rank as a shooter 

Post#2 » by SpreeS » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:38 am

Klay is Allan Houston's copy for now. Can he reach R.Miller? Will we see, he is only 25
SlavicTears
Banned User
And1: 192

Post#3 » by SlavicTears » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:29 am

SpreeS wrote:Klay is Allan Houston's copy for now. Can he reach R.Miller? Will we see, he is only 25

Klay's last 2 years are superior to anything Reggie ever did in his career. His career 3pt% is 2 points higher, and he's never shot below 40%.

If this guy didn't play on the same team as Curry, there would be a lot more hype.
RxMidnight
Senior
And1: 624

Post#4 » by RxMidnight » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:40 am

He won't sniff my top 10 until he starts playing better in the playoffs. All the greatest shooters of all time are known for their big time postseason play. Klay has been thoroughly underwhelming in his playoff career so far, with 15 out of 40 games where his fga >= points scored. Not a good resume for someone whose primary contribution to his team is shooting.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#5 » by therealbig3 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:39 pm

Yeah, he needs to stop choking in the playoffs before I rank him anywhere close to being one of the best shooters ever. Reggie Miller consistently raised his game come playoff time, against a variety of defenses that were specifically trying to stop him. Klay Thompson has continuously disappointed despite the opposing defense trying to stop Curry.

I'd also say that maybe it's because he plays next to Steph Curry that he shoots the percentage that he does, since he gets a lot of open looks because of Curry's presence.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,334

Post#6 » by SpreeS » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:41 pm

SlavicTears wrote:
SpreeS wrote:Klay is Allan Houston's copy for now. Can he reach R.Miller? Will we see, he is only 25

Klay's last 2 years are superior to anything Reggie ever did in his career. His career 3pt% is 2 points higher, and he's never shot below 40%.

If this guy didn't play on the same team as Curry, there would be a lot more hype.

Miller, even Allan Houston, were on the other plannet in terms of clutch plays. And Klay was lost in PO.

Return to Player Comparisons