You have any players career and skills, whose would you have?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,500

Re: You have any players career and skills, whose would you have? 

Post#21 » by 70sFan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Only skill -wise I'd love to be like Adrian Dantley. I'd love to have his ability to make defenders look foolish without any athletic advantage.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#22 » by Prez » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Curry. The guy plays as freely as I've ever seen anyone play.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,709

Post#23 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:12 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Again, even just stepping into their shoes and letting things happen as they did would be interesting, though as an adjunct, it's fascinating to me to consider what I might have done differently in the shoes of several of these players, right?

yeah I took it as the latter--what could/would I have done with KG's talents. If it was the former I would definitely have chosen somebody else.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,162

Post#24 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:yeah I took it as the latter--what could/would I have done with KG's talents. If it was the former I would definitely have chosen somebody else.

Yeah, so my answer would likely differ if we were to discuss me just having that player's physical tools and skillset (and I imagine that it would differ even further if we start talking about applying those to any era, as opposed to just in their own era).

Assuming the player has to play in his own era, but that I get to control his decisions? I think I'd go with Lebron.

if the player doesn't have to play in his own era, I'd be pretty interested in seeing what I could do with Shaq's gifts and skills in the contemporary age and a different dedication to physical fitness. See what I could do with a Shaq who approached physical fitness like Karl Malone, you know what I'm saying?
Jory04
Sixth Man
And1: 269

Post#25 » by Jory04 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:43 pm

I wish I could see a Shaq career with the drive and competitiveness of Jordan, I think there would be a lot of record rewriting.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#26 » by Jaivl » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Who was the highest paid player? Garnett? Ok, him.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
AceofSpades69
Pro Prospect
And1: 167

Post#27 » by AceofSpades69 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:13 pm

J-Will.
CommonerCoffee
Freshman
And1: 99

Post#28 » by CommonerCoffee » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:43 pm

For the skills half of the question, I'm surprised nobody said Chris Paul yet. I don't think any other player in history has maximized his skillset to the degree CP3 has and particularly in spite of his physical limitations. The dude is below 6 feet in all likelihood but he could do it all.
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#29 » by MisterHibachi » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:45 pm

Jerry West. Superstar player, superstar executive, his coaching record is respectable. Logo: all-time face of the NBA, what greater honour is there?
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 621

Post#30 » by Fundamentals21 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:42 pm

Well, outside of superstars and playing for your favorite team.

I am rolling with Jeremy Lin. It feels like he takes a good amount of games off, and suddenly shows up as Linsanity and gets crowds buzzing. In addition to this is hit Youtube popularity, and time at Harvard. He's got the brains, he's got the skills, he's got a certain degree of notriety, he's enjoying his life in the NBA, and will do so long after retirement.
Bklynborn682
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#31 » by Bklynborn682 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:39 pm

Shaq basketball opened up doors for him that he wouldn't have even been allowed near if it wasn't for basketball. Get to rap with biggie, jay z, phife dawg (RIP) fat joe and big pun.
Get to make a movie with William friedkin & nick Nolte
Plus as for his career even if he didn't always give it 100% he did it his way and will always be remembered not only as a top 10 player but as one of the most recognizable influential and marketable not only players but people ever !
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,492

Post#32 » by wojoaderge » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Dantley, Sabonis, McGinnis, McAdoo
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#33 » by penbeast0 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Btw, I may be too much of a grammarian, but I took the OP as two separate questions: If you could have any player's career (not skill) and if you could have any player's skill (not career). I'd assumed that if he meant combined skill and career he would have used an apostrophe: "You have any player's career and skills . . ." If I have it wrong, then it's a different question.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#34 » by Statlanta » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:20 pm

Ray Allen for total career(2 titles, mostly well-liked, top 5 clutch play in an NBA Finals, considered best 3pt shooter circa 2011)
Vince Carter for skill set(still with a vertical that rivals Wiggins at damn near 40)
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
MO12msu
Bench Warmer
And1: 655

Post#35 » by MO12msu » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:05 am

If it's just skill I'm going with cp3. I've learned a lot that I've added to my own game just from watching him play.

Career and skill, I'm really feeling Kawhi's career trajectory so far. I'm someone who can do without all the extra stuff too so I feel like I can relate to him in that aspect.
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Post#36 » by BasketballFan7 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:20 am

I'm going on one of two ends: physical marvel or undersized wonder.

I'm looking at Shaq, LeBron, Ben Wallace or Iverson most likely. Shaq and LeBron because of the ability to bully the best athletes in the world. I like physical ball and slamming people in the post would be great, so Shaq would probably be my pick. Would like to stay in the build of Orlando Shaq though.

On the other end of it, either Wallace or Iverson would be great. Both dominated much larger competition. Wallace won a ring and I love his style, but Iverson would be too fun. Wouldn't dig the terrible supporting cast, though.

Westbrook is like Iverson, but I couldn't dress or dance like that and live with myself.
FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning

Return to Player Comparisons