Empty +/- player Or rather overrated by +/- metric players?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Empty +/- player Or rather overrated by +/- metric players?  

Post#1 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:08 pm

As we know there are plenty of players who put up big boxscores that overestimate their impact on winning basketball a lot of times they're called "empty stats" players.

Are there any players in your mind who usually score very well in different plus minus metrics that you think are overrated impact wise according to these stats?
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,187

Re: Empty +/- player Or rather overrated by +/- metric players? 

Post#2 » by tsherkin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:14 pm

I think that it behooves folk to discuss first exactly what the various +/- metrics actually say, because they aren't really hot for specifically ranking or evaluating players. What they represent is, in theory, a loose look at impact, but there are a variety of factors that go into exactly how that stuff looks. We know that the result is generally quite unstable over small samples, and that it steadies out over several years, and there are various other factors which influence its meaning, which means you really need to set context with that number and limit what conclusions you're trying to draw. I find it's usually a really good place to start looking for weird dissonances which bear further examination more so than as a ranking tool.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#3 » by Quotatious » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:28 pm

Prime Amar'e Stoudemire comes to mind as a guy whose impact was worse than his boxscore production.

Draymond Green comes to mind as a guy whose impact gets overrated by +/-.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,750

Post#4 » by G35 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:31 pm

Well this take is going to upset some people, but when you ask about "empty stat" players you are making an implication. If you are just discussing production, there are no empty stats. Just crunch the numbers.

But empty stats implies that a particular player is producing stats without helping his team win games. So really you are asking which players put up the best stats without winning games...and that is a dangerous (yet entertaining subject) on the PC board......
I'm so tired of the typical......
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,588

Post#5 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:57 pm

First we need to think, what are the situations in which a player can have a good +/- stats without helping his team?
Either it's a guy who only plays in garbage time or there's statistical rumour.
Positive +/- is by definition positive for the team, while there are obviouly endless scenarios when a great boxscore numbers don't translate in real impact.
Another think would be, which players +/- tends to overrate (without implying they're bad, though)? I'd say the ones that fit a role in the team that has no good replacement. Nash's offensive impact might be on this list, at least if we're elevating him at goat level status.
Слава Украине!

Return to Player Comparisons