Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Re: 2017 Golden State Warriors Thread 

Post#521 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Dec 6, 2016 5:27 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Nets picks and brown. I guess Avery as well.

Yeah,I'm gonna say I'd rather have those things than klay Thompson. Klay is barely a top 20 player at this point in the season.

The 2017 pick will produce a player who will have more potential than klay does. It'd be incredibly short sighted to trade them for a good but not a superstar player.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

You're paying for a proven all-star, and more importantly, an all-star who's prime coincides with your big FA acquisition's prime. If you're not willing to give up assets (potential is arbitrary), then you're not gonna get anything of value in return.

Who cares about an all star? Celtics need a superstar. The nets pick is more likely to generate a superstar than klay Thompson becoming one.

And I'm well aware one has to give value to get value, in saying klay Thompson isn't worth that pick. What would he do for the Celtics? They'd still be behind the other contenders, just with less upside. That's not to mention giving up a young prospect In brown and a good shooting guard in Bradley. Reggie Miller caliber players don't demand a kings ransom.

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#522 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 5:29 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:Yeah,I'm gonna say I'd rather have those things than klay Thompson. Klay is barely a top 20 player at this point in the season.

The 2017 pick will produce a player who will have more potential than klay does. It'd be incredibly short sighted to trade them for a good but not a superstar player.

You're paying for a proven all-star, and more importantly, an all-star who's prime coincides with your big FA acquisition's prime. If you're not willing to give up assets (potential is arbitrary), then you're not gonna get anything of value in return.

Who cares about an all star? Celtics need a superstar. The nets pick is more likely to generate a superstar than klay Thompson becoming one.

And I'm well aware one has to give value to get value, in saying klay Thompson isn't worth that pick. What would he do for the Celtics? They'd still be behind the other contenders, just with less upside. That's not to mention giving up a young prospect In brown and a good shooting guard in Bradley. Reggie Miller caliber players don't demand a kings ransom.

There are like 4 or 5 superstars in the league, and you're not trading for any of them.

And he actually does a lot for the Celtics. Pairing him with Isaiah Thomas (and Marcus Smart) in the back-court. combined with Al Horford and Jaw Crowder is huge step in the East. And he doesn't handicap your salary situation in any way, so you can make other moves in FA.

If you don't think Bradley and two completely unproven commodities is worth that, then you'll never make a trade.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#523 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Dec 6, 2016 5:30 pm

Also, what do you mean potential is arbitrary Clyde? Are you telling me you would trade Joel Embiid for Klay Thompson??

clyde21
RealGM

Post#524 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 5:31 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Also, what do you mean potential is arbitrary Clyde? Are you telling me you would trade Joel Embiid for Klay Thompson??

False analogy. Joel Embiid is much more proven at this point than a draft pick.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#525 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 5:35 pm

Also...Embiid still has major injury concerns...so no, I don't know that I'd trade Klay for him. I'll probably end up doing it, but I'll be holding my breath the entire way. Klay is a legitimate all-star that's extremely durable in the middle of his prime on a team-friendly contract in this market. Good luck trading for him if you're not willing make a serious offer.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#526 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Dec 6, 2016 5:58 pm

Joel Embiid has played like 12 games. If anything to prove how short sighted your thinking is, let's pretend we're having this discussion in July.

If you would have traded Embiid for Thompson before the season started, then doesn't that pretty much prove you might not be good at evaluating young talent?

Superstars get traded so I'm not sure why you think that is impossible, and there are probably more than 5 superstars this season.

Also, not only is klay Thompson not a superstar, he's not a top ten player, and frankly at this point in the season he's not a top 15. I'm not sure why you think he is better than "unproven commodities".

Klay Thompson for Dennis Smith Jr is a no brainer, and not in the direction you're thinking.

clyde21
RealGM

Post#527 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 6, 2016 6:04 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Joel Embiid has played like 12 games. If anything to prove how short sighted your thinking is, let's pretend we're having this discussion in July.

If you would have traded Embiid for Thompson before the season started, then doesn't that pretty much prove you might not be good at evaluating young talent?

Superstars get traded so I'm not sure why you think that is impossible, and there are probably more than 5 superstars this season.

Also, not only is klay Thompson not a superstar, he's not a top ten player, and frankly at this point in the season he's not a top 15. I'm not sure why you think he is better than "unproven commodities".

Klay Thompson for Dennis Smith Jr is a no brainer, and not in the direction you're thinking.

Yes, in July, if Embiid gets thru an entire season healthy and sees an increase in minutes, that decision would be much easier. But it still be a decision.

Problem here is that you're not trading Embiid. You're trading Brown and whoever would get taken with the Nets pick. There's a huge difference in applicable potential here.

And I'm not trading Klay Thompson for DSJ straight up. Sorry. Not gonna happen. Smith might end up the better player, he can also end up the worse player. Or be a injured player. Or who knows what.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#528 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Dec 6, 2016 11:19 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:Joel Embiid has played like 12 games. If anything to prove how short sighted your thinking is, let's pretend we're having this discussion in July.

Yes, in July, if Embiid gets thru an entire season healthy and sees an increase in minutes, that decision would be much easier. But it still be a decision.

Problem here is that you're not trading Embiid. You're trading Brown and whoever would get taken with the Nets pick. There's a huge difference in applicable potential here.

And I'm not trading Klay Thompson for DSJ straight up. Sorry. Not gonna happen. Smith might end up the better player, he can also end up the worse player. Or be a injured player. Or who knows what.

But your point was that they are not "proven commodities". Joel Embiid was not a "proven commodity" but I would not trade him for Klay Thompson, even before his rookie season started, because I knew he would be as good as he was now. Do you see what I am trying to say?

Also, not playing in the NBA does not make people unproven commodities. That doesn't really make sense. Players are not drafted at random, they are drafted based on non-NBA play, you can project how good players will be in the NBA - if you couldn't, then there would be no difference in value between the first pick and the 60th pick.

Also, this statement about how the Celtics would "regret" trading for Klay, is obviously based on recent events (the 60 point game), which makes no sense, because if we're just going by this season, Klay Thompson hasn't been special. Objectively speaking, what makes Klay Thompson even that much better than guys like Damian Lillard? Heck, what he's doing isn't even much better than Kemba Walker and Isaiah Thomas this season.

Why is Avery Bradly merely being sprinkled in for an all-star? Avery Bradley averages about 18 points and 8 rebounds, and is generally recognized as the best perimeter defender. Yet, you're going to essentially give away 2 top 3 picks...for an all-star?

All-stars are not rare are in the NBA, MOST teams have an all-star it is SUPERSTARS that are truly scarce. It is more difficult just to find to find good rim protectors than All-Stars. Superstars are hard to find, All-NBA 1st and 2nd teamers are hard to find.

Why would one give up 2 top 3 picks in back to back drafts (with one being stacked) and one of the best shooting guards for Klay Thompson, when they could get someone like DeMarcus Cousins instead? I mean think of how many players are better than Klay Thompson this season. DeMarcus Cousins, Blake Griffin, Gordan Hayward, DeMar Derozan, Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley, Marc Gasol, Rudy Gobert, Kemba Walker, Giannis, even 2nd year Kristaps Porzingis. That's a lot of guys who might possibly be better than Klay Thompson at this point in the season, and I don't think I have any of those guys in my top ten (or maybe one of them barely makes it). Klay Thompson is not as valuable or a unique commodity as you make him out to be. If you think trading for an all-star player like DeRozan or something for Josh Jackson is a fair trade, then I don't know what to say. Someone like Ben Simmons wouldn't even go top 3 in this years draft.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#529 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 3:26 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:But your point was that they are not "proven commodities". Joel Embiid was not a "proven commodity" but I would not trade him for Klay Thompson, even before his rookie season started, because I knew he would be as good as he was now. Do you see what I am trying to say?

I think many would disagree with that - especially at the time when there was a legitimate chance Embiid wasn't going to play professional basketball again. There were a lot of doubts. Even still, if you go down the list and compare top-5 picks the last 10 years, more often than not that player won't be even close to being as good as Klay - so your chances right off the bat at being right are not very good.

Furthermore, you don't have a Joel Embiid on your roster. Brown, Bradley and your Nets pick isn't Embiid, and most likely won't be Embiid statistically speaking. So, if you're willing to take the chance, by all means, but if you want a surefire, durable all-star just entering his prime you better pay up. Not gonna make it happen with kibbles and bits.

Also, not playing in the NBA does not make people unproven commodities. That doesn't really make sense. Players are not drafted at random, they are drafted based on non-NBA play, you can project how good players will be in the NBA - if you couldn't, then there would be no difference in value between the first pick and the 60th pick.

It means they're unproven at the NBA level. You can draft Kevin Durant, sure, but then you can end up drafting an Greg Oden or an Andrea Bargnani or a Tyrus Thomas. That's a risk you're taking by passing over a surefire all-star for a draft. Sure, you can land a better player, but you can also not.

Also, this statement about how the Celtics would "regret" trading for Klay, is obviously based on recent events (the 60 point game), which makes no sense, because if we're just going by this season, Klay Thompson hasn't been special. Objectively speaking, what makes Klay Thompson even that much better than guys like Damian Lillard? Heck, what he's doing isn't even much better than Kemba Walker and Isaiah Thomas this season.

Klay Thompson has been Klay Thompson - it has nothing to do with with the 60 point show out. As a 2nd option, he can legit drop 23-25 ppg. and give you outstanding defense on the other end. The fact that he's durable, just entering his prime and is on a market-friendly contract only increases his value.

Why is Avery Bradly merely being sprinkled in for an all-star? Avery Bradley averages about 18 points and 8 rebounds, and is generally recognized as the best perimeter defender. Yet, you're going to essentially give away 2 top 3 picks...for an all-star?

Klay Thompson isn't just a player who has happened to be an all-star for a year. He's a top-3 SG who'll be vying for all-star appearances for the next decade. I like Bradley (who's only signed for one more year), but if you think Bradley, Brown and a top-3 or 5 pick is too much for that then you're on your own. No cigar.

Btw...when your draft picks reach their prime Horford will be out of his...so what you're trying to do and accomplish doesn't add. I'd understand what you're saying if you're a rebuilding team...but you're trying to become a ring contender...you're not gonna do that any time soon with Brown and whoever you take with the Nets' pick.

All-stars are not rare are in the NBA, MOST teams have an all-star it is SUPERSTARS that are truly scarce. It is more difficult just to find to find good rim protectors than All-Stars. Superstars are hard to find, All-NBA 1st and 2nd teamers are hard to find.

A top-3 or 4 all-around SG that's already hailed as one of the greatest shooters ever JUST entering his prime is rare. Stop acting like he's this run-of-the-mill type of player. It's a complete falsehood.

Let me ask you this, who do you think Bradley, Brown and the Nets could (or should) fetch you?
countryboy667
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#530 » by countryboy667 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 5:50 am

When I first started watching the NBA several decades ago, I never thought the NBA could possibly be boring. The NBA game today, especially as exemplified by the GSW, has shattered that illusion.It used to be a majestic game of giants struggling in the paint, now it's a game of pygmies shooting threes. Bor-ing.
If the three is that easy to make, then the baseline three should be eliminated altogether and the rest of the perimeter arc moved out a MINIMUM of another three feet. They widened the lane an did other things to balance the game otherwise Wilt would have dominated forever. Maybe it's time to do the same to limit the three to the tiny handful of TRUE sharpshooters in the game. It's past time to do it, because the three has become the most boring and grossly overused facet of the game today.
It's also time to add something like the franchise player restriction to the league to thwart the few big market teams from putting together super teams.80% of the teams in the league should not be in existence to just be training grounds/farm teams for the Lakers, and other big market teams and teams in desirable climate areas.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#531 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 7, 2016 6:39 am

^ ... yeah, the game was MUCH more exhilarating watching two 7-footers bang their hips together for 15 seconds while everyone else was jerking each other off on the perimeter.

This is the era of ball movement, spacing, skill and shooting. The NBA has never been more fun to watch. Oh, and there is still a lot of strong paint and post play. The 3 game didn't take away from the post...it took away from the (inefficient) long range 2.
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,284

Post#532 » by WestGOAT » Wed Dec 7, 2016 10:02 am

I don't get how why people clamor back to the old days of iso ball. So ugly to watch. The whole concept of "illegal defence" was ridiculous. You were forced to guard non-shooters basically, despite them posing no threat. This allowed easier post-play and heavy iso-ball:
spotted in Bologna
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#533 » by eminence » Wed Dec 7, 2016 12:29 pm

Yeah, no doubt about it in my mind, the introduction of zones has forced the game to adapt in positive ways. Watching a team actually work as a team is a beautiful thing.
I bought a boat.
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#534 » by JulesWinnfield » Thu Dec 8, 2016 4:10 am

From a competitive balance standpoint it's just disheartening watching this team look as amazing as they do right now, but you can't help but be incredibly impressed. Their offense has basically been a full tier above any team we've ever seen and the defense has gotten better really fast. They are just incredible.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#535 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Dec 8, 2016 5:53 am

With 6 minutes left to go they are putting up 121.4 ORTG against the clippers

Sent from my SM-T550 using RealGM mobile app
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,666

Post#536 » by picc » Thu Dec 8, 2016 6:03 am

JulesWinnfield wrote:From a competitive balance standpoint it's just disheartening watching this team look as amazing as they do right now, but you can't help but be incredibly impressed. Their offense has basically been a full tier above any team we've ever seen and the defense has gotten better really fast. They are just incredible.

The 2008 Lakers had a 117 offensive rating after the Gasol trade.

But thats none of my business. 8-)
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,717

Post#537 » by GSP » Thu Dec 8, 2016 6:09 am

Prolly the most impressive performance of the season thus far out of any team

they wont beat 73 wins but they will very likely have a superior Srs to last season

their passing/playmaking/low turnovers specially against some top teams isnt something i expected TBH. Even last season they had alot of problems with sloppy passing and carelessness just had alot of highlight plays that allowed ppl to ignore fundamental and technical flaws in their passing game

and defensively clearly the overreaction earlier on in the season was unwarranted specially with Kd being mini Draymond on defense
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#538 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Dec 8, 2016 10:47 am

JulesWinnfield wrote:From a competitive balance standpoint it's just disheartening watching this team look as amazing as they do right now, but you can't help but be incredibly impressed. Their offense has basically been a full tier above any team we've ever seen and the defense has gotten better really fast. They are just incredible.

Should competitive balance really be prioritized over entertainment though?Id much rather watch the Clippers, Warriors, and Cavs than some of the things that passed for "teams" in the early decade. I mean the Rockets and Thunder are okay, but honestly not that good to watch, and the Kings and Pels are straight up atrocious.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,531

Post#539 » by Bergmaniac » Thu Dec 8, 2016 11:01 am

All the talk early on how much they'll struggle on D without Bogut and Ezeli looks a massive overreaction now.
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#540 » by JulesWinnfield » Thu Dec 8, 2016 3:12 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Should competitive balance really be prioritized over entertainment though?Id much rather watch the Clippers, Warriors, and Cavs than some of the things that passed for "teams" in the early decade. I mean the Rockets and Thunder are okay, but honestly not that good to watch, and the Kings and Pels are straight up atrocious.

I also spend most of my time watching the top teams and GS is indeed crazy fun, but I'm down for a little more suspense when it comes to my thoughts on who is going to win a title. I do think it makes for a better league. Love to be wrong, hope I'm wrong, I just can't see them losing barring injury and that does take some fun out of this. Not that the NBA has ever been a sport that keeps you guessing too much, but this year less so than even usual. To see them just waltz into LA last night and totally outclass a team many would like to elevate to contender status themselves is just a bit of a gut punch.

Return to Player Comparisons