Team 2
78%

Total votes: 9

Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Who wins? 

Post#1 » by Jiminy Glick » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:46 pm

I made a post with similar teams a while back but I wanted to make a few changes. Anyways, which team wins?

Team 1:
Pg. Lebron / Stockton / Paul
Sg. Wade / Payton
Sf. Pippen / Leonard
Pf. Olajuwon / Gasol / Rodman
C. Wilt / Gilmore

Team 2:
Pg. Magic / Kidd
Sg. Jordan / Nash
Sf. Bird / Marion / Iguodala
Pf. Duncan / Garnett / Green
C. Kareem / Russell

I think Team 1 wins.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Re: Who wins? 

Post#2 » by Prez » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:16 pm

Team 2 pretty easily imo, that starting lineup is not only more talented but much more balanced as well, whereas I think you're left with quite a bit of redundancies with Lebron/Wade/Pippen. At the very least I don't think you're maximizing their talents offensively. Defense would be absolutely insane, though.

When you can seriously make the claim that your team has the positional GOAT at every spot, and the weakest case is Bird over Lebron, your team is probably going to win.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#3 » by PDX MM » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:43 pm

Team 2 and it isn't a hard choice however if I were in charge of team 1 I would start Stockton, Paul, or Payton over Wade...most likely Payton since he was the bigger of the 3 and better defender.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#4 » by BdeRegt » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:42 pm

Team 2 and it wasn't close with how teams are set. 4 starters on Team 1 are best utilized on the block (Wade, LeBron, Hakeem, and Wilt). Team 2 has much better balance and could pack the paint defensively. Although Team 1 has a scary line up with Paul, Wade, Leonard, LeBron, and Hakeem/Wilt. If I was Team 1, I actually would more have a rotation like this:

Paul(30)/Stockton(18)
wade(36)/Payton (12)
Leonard(28)/Pippen(20)
LeBron(36)/Rodman(8)/Leonard(4)
Wilt(24)/Hakeem(24)

Gasol and Gilmore wouldn't play.

Pippen is better than Leonard at this point but not nearly as good of a shooter so fits better. Duncan will be able to take advantage of LeBron inside a little bit but LeBron is pretty strong so I think he holds in own better than Duncan does trying to guard him on the return. This team still has too many players who want the ball in their hands but think it works a little better.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by Jiminy Glick » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:10 pm

BdeRegt wrote:Team 2 and it wasn't close with how teams are set. 4 starters on Team 1 are best utilized on the block (Wade, LeBron, Hakeem, and Wilt). Team 2 has much better balance and could pack the paint defensively. Although Team 1 has a scary line up with Paul, Wade, Leonard, LeBron, and Hakeem/Wilt. If I was Team 1, I actually would more have a rotation like this:

Paul(30)/Stockton(18)
wade(36)/Payton (12)
Leonard(28)/Pippen(20)
Wilt(24)/Hakeem(24)

Pippen is better than Leonard at this point but not nearly as good of a shooter so fits better. Duncan will be able to take advantage of LeBron inside a little bit but LeBron is pretty strong so I think he holds in own better than Duncan does trying to guard him on the return. This team still has too many players who want the ball in their hands but think it works a little better.

Wilt & Hakeem > Duncan & Kareem
Bird or Magic would have to guard Lebron or Wade
Gasol and Gilmore would still be a load to handle down low even for Garnett and Russell
Gasol and Gilmore are both much better low post scorers than Russell
Also you have Payton and Leonard on the outside so Gasol and Gilmore can kick it to them
I could put Paul in too to create even more outside shooting
Team 1 is noooooo joke
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by BdeRegt » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:24 pm

Jiminy Glick wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:Team 2 and it wasn't close with how teams are set. 4 starters on Team 1 are best utilized on the block (Wade, LeBron, Hakeem, and Wilt). Team 2 has much better balance and could pack the paint defensively. Although Team 1 has a scary line up with Paul, Wade, Leonard, LeBron, and Hakeem/Wilt. If I was Team 1, I actually would more have a rotation like this:

Paul(30)/Stockton(18)
wade(36)/Payton (12)
Leonard(28)/Pippen(20)
Wilt(24)/Hakeem(24)

Gasol and Gilmore would still be a load to handle down low even for Garnett and Russell
Also you have Payton and Leonard on the outside so Gasol and Gilmore can kick it to them
Team 1 is noooooo joke

Wilt & Hakeem are better than Duncan & Kareem BUT Hakeem is not a power forward. Young Duncan was a power forward so can play next to Kareem I think. I don't like the fit of Hakeem and Wilt on the court at the same time. It doesn't work in my opinion.

I am ok with Bird guarding LeBron actually. Bird was a good defender.

Gasol and Gilmore are great low post scorers but that is redundant with Wilt and Hakeem.

Payton was never a great spot up shooter. He was ok but not someone who I would be scared to leave when needed. Same with Wade, LeBron, and Pippen.

I am not saying Team 1 is a joke. I just like the fit of team 2 more as I think the way team 1 was set up in first post has a lot of players not playing in their strongest role. It has more overall talent but not players doing what they do best. It is just my opinion.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by Jiminy Glick » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:07 am

BdeRegt wrote:
Jiminy Glick wrote:

Paul(30)/Stockton(18)
wade(36)/Payton (12)
Leonard(28)/Pippen(20)
Wilt(24)/Hakeem(24)

Team 1 is noooooo joke

Wilt & Hakeem are better than Duncan & Kareem BUT Hakeem is not a power forward. Young Duncan was a power forward so can play next to Kareem I think. I don't like the fit of Hakeem and Wilt on the court at the same time. It doesn't work in my opinion.

Gasol and Gilmore are great low post scorers but that is redundant with Wilt and Hakeem.

Payton was never a great spot up shooter. He was ok but not someone who I would be scared to leave when needed. Same with Wade, LeBron, and Pippen.

I am not saying Team 1 is a joke. I just like the fit of team 2 more as I think the way team 1 was set up in first post has a lot of players not playing in their strongest role. It has more overall talent but not players doing what they do best. It is just my opinion.

True. Hakeem can play the 4 though because he can guards 4's and has a mid range game.

I would love to see this game played.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by BdeRegt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:04 am

Jiminy Glick wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:
Jiminy Glick wrote:
Team 1 is noooooo joke

True. Hakeem can play the 4 though because he can guards 4's and has a mid range game.

I really disagree with that logic to put Hakeem at the 4. Yes, he could hold his own because of his talent but he is not going to be at his best. You take away from Wilt and Hakeem by having them both out there together. They are both centers.
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by Jiminy Glick » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:42 am

BdeRegt wrote:
Jiminy Glick wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:

I really disagree with that logic to put Hakeem at the 4. Yes, he could hold his own because of his talent but he is not going to be at his best. You take away from Wilt and Hakeem by having them both out there together. They are both centers.

Well perhaps however I like putting Hakeem at the 4 with Wilt. I think it is one of the best 4/5 combos you can create.

Hakeem was an athletic freak in his younger days and could handle the 4 easily.

Also Wilt had a fade away and could operate slightly away from the basket and again Hakeem could operate away from the basket as well even better.

BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by BdeRegt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:31 am

Jiminy Glick wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:
Jiminy Glick wrote:

Well perhaps however I like putting Hakeem at the 4 with Wilt. I think it is one of the best 4/5 combos you can create.

Hakeem was an athletic freak in his younger days and could handle the 4 easily.

Also Wilt had a fade away and could operate slightly away from the basket and again Hakeem could operate away from the basket as well even better.

We can disagree. I just think there is a difference between an all time great dominating at a position and being able to handle operating out of position. I think Hakeem would be fine at the 4 but he isn't going to be the Dream. I personally think the team is a lot stronger with Wilt/Hakeem splitting center duties with LeBron playing the 4. It puts the best players on the team at their natural positions and there are great PGs on the roster so LeBron doesn't need to play the point.

Return to Player Comparisons