Tim Duncan-closer to Kareem or KG on your ATG List?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Who is Duncan closer to on your ATG list?

Kareem
63%
KG
38%

Total votes: 40

Matt15
Assistant Coach
And1: 499

Tim Duncan-closer to Kareem or KG on your ATG List? 

Post#1 » by Matt15 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Do you have Duncan closer to Kareem or KG on your ATG list?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,789

Re: Tim Duncan-closer to Kareem or KG on your ATG List? 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:53 pm

He is closer to Kareem in terms of what # they are, but he is closer to KG if I gave every player a numerical ranking like 2K.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,222

Post#3 » by Statlanta » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:55 pm

Kareem, as both are the longevity GOATs and I am not as high on KG even if he retires
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Gus Fring
Pro Prospect
And1: 868

Post#4 » by Gus Fring » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:58 pm

Definetly Kareem. I have Kareem squarely at 2 on my list and Duncan anywhere between 3 and 6 while KG for me is slightly outside the top 12.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:06 pm

Duncan and Kareem are battling for number 3. KG is around 12. Pretty big gap really.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Hawk
Starter
And1: 818

Post#6 » by Hawk » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:09 pm

Kareem #2
Duncan #7
KG #10
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,741

Post#7 » by eminence » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:40 pm

A bit closer to KG for me. Kareem is my GOAT, and Duncan/KG are in the next tier with Jordan and Dirk.
I bought a boat.
90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#8 » by 90sgoat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:43 pm

I have Duncan 5-7 and KG somewhere around top 20-25
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#9 » by mischievous » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:45 pm

eminence wrote:A bit closer to KG for me. Kareem is my GOAT, and Duncan/KG are in the next tier with Jordan and Dirk.

Did you just put Dirk and Mj in the same tier? :uhoh:
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,741

Post#10 » by eminence » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:46 pm

mischievous wrote:
eminence wrote:A bit closer to KG for me. Kareem is my GOAT, and Duncan/KG are in the next tier with Jordan and Dirk.

Did you just put Dirk and Mj in the same tier? :uhoh:

That I did.

(Still working my way back, so maybe one or more of the big 4 from the 60's could wind up there as well).
I bought a boat.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#11 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:52 pm

More closer kareem . KG is pretty far away on ATG list compared with these two.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#12 » by Hawk Eye » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:11 am

Yeah I have Duncan a lot closer to Kareem than KG. Garnett is outside of my top 10 but firmly in my top 15. Duncan is outside of my top 5 but only by a hair--probably around #6 or #7.
NBAMythbuster
Junior
And1: 99

Post#13 » by NBAMythbuster » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:25 am

Definitely Kareem. Duncan is clearly in the top 5, while KG is bottom of the top 10 at best.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#14 » by Quotatious » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:24 am

Honestly, the only thing that separates Duncan from Garnett is that TD had more favorable circumstances, worked with far better management when both guys were in their primes. KG was a slightly better RS performer, but he rarely had teams as good as TD had. That also explains some of that perceived superiority of TD over KG in the playoffs.

I think Garnett is every bit as good as Duncan if they have equal supporting casts.
NBAMythbuster
Junior
And1: 99

Post#15 » by NBAMythbuster » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:14 pm

Quotatious wrote:Honestly, the only thing that separates Duncan from Garnett is that TD had more favorable circumstances, worked with far better management when both guys were in the primes. KG was a slightly better RS performer, but he rarely had teams as good as TD had. That also explains some of that perceived superiority of TD over KG in the playoffs.

I think Garnett is every bit as good as Duncan if they have equal supporting casts.

KG sometimes did have equal or better support casts, and did worse. This argument does not fly at all, even though on balance TD's circumstances were better. Duncan also has more longevity, becoming a better player soon and lasting longer, while also providing an inside out presence that KG did not provide.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#16 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:39 pm

Tim Duncan and KG are way more similar in terms of production. Kareem clearly above both really.

Tim Duncan could win a title with complete scrubs, except when he didn't. Or something.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#17 » by mischievous » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Quotatious wrote:Honestly, the only thing that separates Duncan from Garnett is that TD had more favorable circumstances, worked with far better management when both guys were in the primes. KG was a slightly better RS performer, but he rarely had teams as good as TD had. That also explains some of that perceived superiority of TD over KG in the playoffs.

Does it not matter that Duncan had an easier time sustaining or increasing his offensive production in the postseason, than Kg? I think that matters when they were comparable at defense.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Quotatious » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:50 pm

NBAMythbuster wrote:KG sometimes did have equal or better support casts, and did worse. This argument does not fly at all, even though on balance TD's circumstances were better.

When both guys were in their primes, very rarely did that happen. Basically just in 2003-04 season, and guess what, KG's team was very successful that season, nobody will ever know what happens if Cassell stays healthy. It's not hard to believe they could've won the title with healthy Sam (they could just as easily still lose to the Lakers in WCF or to the Pistons in the finals, but with healthy Cassell, every scenario I mentioned is equally likely, IMO).

When KG had arguably better supporting casts was in Boston, but both KG and TD were 30+ year old and slightly past their primes by that time.

Wolves basically sabotaged KG's future with that Joe Smith salary cap scandal, getting multiple first round picks taken away from them. That could make a huge difference in terms of the way KG's career looks like today. Meanwhile, San Antonio was pretty much the standard of excellence in terms of NBA management and smart decision making during Duncan's career.

NBAMythbuster wrote:Duncan also has more longevity, becoming a better player soon and lasting longer, while also providing an inside out presence that KG did not provide.

The thing is, Duncan's outside presence was mediocre compared to Garnett's. It can certainly be argued that Garnett's inside presence was mediocre compared to Duncan's, but in terms of skill-set, there are clearly some things KG did better (ball-handling, playmaking, long-range shooting, free throw shooting, pick & roll defense, defensive versatility in terms of 1 on 1 defense, quickness), and some thing TD did better (low post scoring, offensive rebounding, shot-blocking, rim protection, strength, 1 on 1 defense in the post against bigs). In general, KG was a better RS performer (much bigger sample size, therefore perhaps more indicative of a consistent level of a player, but much less important games), TD better playoff performer (much smaller sample size, therefore more susceptible to outlier-ish/flukey/out-of-character, use whatever word you want to describe it, results, but much more important games).

There are good arguments in favor of both players.

As far as longevity, they were very close between 1999-00 and 2012-13 seasons. I would give the edge to Duncan in 1997-98 and 1998-99 seasons, but Garnett was already very good, too. I would add 1996-97 as a very good season for KG, when Duncan was still at Wake Forest, but Duncan was far better in 2014-16 (three seasons, especially 2014 and 2015 are relevant because he was still an all-star caliber player). So overall, Duncan does have better longevity, but it's not a big gap. In the grand scheme of things, it's not enough to earn TD a large advantage. Also, not to take anything away from Duncan's longevity, but Pop is a master of putting his stars on minutes restriction and prolonging their careers as a result.

Anyway, I'm a fan of both players and I would give TD the edge, but it is pretty close, far closer than the 5 > 1 advantage in terms of rings might suggest.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Quotatious » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:16 pm

mischievous wrote:Does it not matter that Duncan had an easier time sustaining or increasing his offensive production in the postseason, than Kg? I think that matters when they were comparable at defense.

Sure, it does matter, but it's a bit more complex than that.

First of all, we might want to look at their career BPM in regular season and playoffs, as it tells an interesting story.

Regular season:

Duncan: +5.5 (+1.5 OBPM, +4.0 DBPM)
Garnett: +5.4 (+2.1 OBPM, +3.3 DBPM)

Playoffs:

Duncan: +5.9 (+2.1 OBPM, +3.8 DBPM)
Garnett: +4.6 (+0.5 OBPM, 4.1 DBPM)

I don't even particularly care who has the higher rating (because I'm not a big fan of BPM in general), but the tendencies are interesting - offensively, Duncan improved in the playoffs, but defensively, he declined in the playoffs, and Garnett declined on offense, but improved on defense, so opposite tendencies. Plus, TD played a lot more playoff games in his absolute prime, while KG played vast majority of his postseason games in Boston, past his absolute prime. Minnesota KG was a +5.6 BPM guy, marginally lower than Duncan's career.

So, I think it's a bit more complicated, because Garnett seemed to be better than Duncan on defense in the playoffs, or at least I think people ignore the improvement that KG made on defense in the playoffs, but they always see his drop-off in terms of scoring efficiency.
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Post#20 » by feyki » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:27 pm

1-5-18 .
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”

Return to Player Comparisons