The 2016-17 Kawhi Leonard Thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,143

Re: The 2016-17 Kawhi Leonard Thread 

Post#81 » by Edrees » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:56 pm

He was my pick for MVP before the season started and that's not changing. He's just going to keep getting better.
NBAMythbuster
Junior
And1: 99

Post#82 » by NBAMythbuster » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:59 pm

SlowPaced wrote:He was my #2 candidate for MVP this season, but I might just move him to #1.

Btw I don't know why some people are talking about how Kawhi might "reach" MVP candidacy level this season. Guy finished #2 in the MVP voting last season. He's already there.

Yeh, I was thinking much the same thing in regards to both issues. I might have to move him to #1 too. I also eagerly await the threads on J.Simmons, Bertans, D.Murray, etc in coming years. "Simmons is just a system player", "Bertans only shoots", "Reggie Miller was right, Dejounte Murray is just not that good", etc.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,143

Post#83 » by cpower » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:17 am

as a Warriors fan, I have no problem giving my MVP vote to Kawhi. He might be the most complete player after Lebron.
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#84 » by ThaRegul8r » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:21 am

We're only two games into the season, so we might want to wait until we get more into the season to talk about MVP.

SlowPaced wrote:He was my #2 candidate for MVP this season, but I might just move him to #1.

Btw I don't know why some people are talking about how Kawhi might "reach" MVP candidacy level this season. Guy finished #2 in the MVP voting last season. He's already there.

I remember when Hakeem finished second in the MVP voting in '92-93, he was considered a favorite to win in '93-94. I've seen that talked about anyway before the season. Kawhi finished second last year, and with the reigning MVP and Durant playing together, they might take votes away from each other was the speculation. Some said Westbrook might break out without Durant and would be a candidate if the Thunder do well, but from what I saw Kawhi was a favorite anyway if the Spurs did well and depending whether or not LeBron cared about it anymore. The Finals helped LeBron and could carry over, but it isn't as if Kawhi wasn't considered to have just as much a chance as anyone this year already being the reigning runner-up. It all depends on how he plays.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#85 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:48 pm

Kawhi took part in an nba players GQ interview

This season, I guarantee that...
My team will be better than the past year
Before I retire, the one thing I want to accomplish (besides titles) is...
To create a positive, iconic image of someone who helped educate & build communities
The active player who most influenced my game was...
The whole NBA influenced my game; I wanted to be one of the guys

The most merciless competitor I've ever faced on the court is...
I never look at who I'm going against. When I'm on the floor I want to beat the team. There are no individual goals when I'm on the floor.
Watch out for [BLANK] this year, that guy (who is NOT a teammate) is gonna blow up
I think you will be surprised by some of my teammates, I won't mention any names...
The best basketball movie ever made is...
Through The Fire or Above the Rim

I would give KAZAAM [BLANK] out of 4 stars:
Five Guys, In-N-Out, or Shake Shack?
In-N-Out, I'm from California
I spend too much money on [BLANK] and not enough on [BLANK]
I spend my money wisely. I spend my money on opportunities that will set me up for a better future.

Interesting answers looks like the Pianissimo Man is ready.

Sent from my SM-T550 using RealGM mobile app
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#86 » by UDRIH14 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:30 am

kawhi now holds the best w/l record through first 300 games...235-65
rich316
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#87 » by rich316 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:49 pm

The impressive thing about last night's game was how he went from move-the-ball, team-player mode in the 1st half to taking over in the 2nd half to put the game away. I never, ever thought he could be that type of offensive player. His development is just absurd.

The MVP will likely be between him and Lebron, based on which team has the better record.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#88 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:44 pm

Kawhi has early lead on the MVP on lebron
See how it goes.
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#89 » by lorak » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:16 pm

Game vs NOP was Kawhi's 300th started game and he has more wins than any other player in NBA history through 300 starts: 235-65 record. :o
thizznation
Starter
And1: 778

Post#90 » by thizznation » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:41 am

People were calling me crazy when I told them Kawhi was the best two way player in basketball last year and top 3 overall.
rich316
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#91 » by rich316 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:54 am

lorak wrote:Game vs NOP was Kawhi's 300th started game and he has more wins than any other player in NBA history through 300 starts: 235-65 record. :o

I mean, that's great and all, but lets not pretend that he didn't have quite a bit of help on that front...
NBAMythbuster
Junior
And1: 99

Post#92 » by NBAMythbuster » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:25 am

That win % comes out to 64 wins per year.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#93 » by Dupp » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:53 am

Ballerhogger wrote:Kawhi has early lead on the MVP on lebron
See how it goes.

I'd say on GOATbrook but eventually he'll drop out of the race (wins). I think Kawhi will take this fairly comfortable. Dont think brons gonna do enough for it.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,711

Post#94 » by GSP » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:25 am

Dupp wrote:
See how it goes.

I'd say on GOATbrook but eventually he'll drop out of the race (wins). I think Kawhi will take this fairly comfortable. Dont think brons gonna do enough for it.

Dont see Okc getting Hca. Cant remember the last time a player on a 5-8 seed won Mvp
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#95 » by Dupp » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:28 am

GSP wrote:
Dupp wrote:
See how it goes.

Dont see Okc getting Hca. Cant remember the last time a player on a 5-8 seed won Mvp

Yeah thats what i was saying. Just goat and Kawhi are 1,2 right now. Maybe add AD too.

But yeah you need more wins i think goat has no chance. When was the last time even a 3rd seed won mvp? Probably a while.
UDRIH14
General Manager

Post#96 » by UDRIH14 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:26 am

rich316 wrote:
lorak wrote:Game vs NOP was Kawhi's 300th started game and he has more wins than any other player in NBA history through 300 starts: 235-65 record. :o

I mean, that's great and all, but lets not pretend that he didn't have quite a bit of help on that front...

whose help u talking about? the big3? those 3 has beens shouldve retired after the last ring, but no...front office had to give them loyalty contracts extending their careers to pad more wins to their names, the years after the last championship has been a failure just wasting kawhis development and potential while the team offense was still involve around the big3 first then everyone else gets their touches...

last 2 years or even the kawhis first year, would u watch a young rookie taking all the shots to develop knowing its going to be a tank season, or do you prefer to watch t he big3 living on some reputation still thinking they have game being in the way of younger players and front office moving towards another direction....
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,758

Post#97 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:16 pm

UDRIH14 wrote:I mean, that's great and all, but lets not pretend that he didn't have quite a bit of help on that front...

whose help u talking about? the big3? those 3 has beens shouldve retired after the last ring, but no...front office had to give them loyalty contracts extending their careers to pad more wins to their names, the years after the last championship has been a failure just wasting kawhis development and potential while the team offense was still involve around the big3 first then everyone else gets their touches...

.[/quote]

I get wanting to give Kawhi full credit for his own accomplishments and I support that 100%. But the above is obviously absurd.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
inDe_eD
Bench Warmer
And1: 869

Post#98 » by inDe_eD » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:26 pm

Ok, so it's probably far too early to start projecting season end advanced stats, but just for fun, here's what Kawhi is on pace for:

24.6 WS - Would be the 3rd highest of all time (behind Wilt 63-64, and Kareem 71-72)
.460 WS/48 - Would be the highest of all time by an enormous .1201 ! (Kareem 71-72 of .3399 is the current record)
14.6 BPM - Would be the highest of all time, by 1.61 points (Lebron's 08-09 of 12.99 is the current record)
10.25 VORP - Would be the 7th highest reg. season ever. (behind Kareem, DRob, Jordan, Lebron)
132 ORtg /93 DRtg

^ All of that with his far below standard 26% 3 point shooting. HUGE ifs here, but if Kawhi plays more than 31 minutes per game (blowouts are reducing his minutes), and if he plays at this pace, we're looking at possibly the greatest regular season of all time.

I'm sure you could pull some similarly dumbfounding numbers for Westbrook, AD, and Harden as well, as those 4 have had fantastic starts to the season too.

*Also, random question to the more knowledgeable folks here, is VORP affected by minutes played?

** Just checked, Russ's numbers are equally ridiculous, I don't have time to post, but he's on pace to shatter BPM records.
“Let's say TPE is a big hole, Ryan Anderson is a "power plug Dick" ($21 million a year). All you have to do is use the Dick to plug in. Great trade and great deal! This is called "perfect fit" in the nba.”
UDRIH14
General Manager

Post#99 » by UDRIH14 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:55 pm

whats going to hurt kawhis stats are the blowout wins, pop will limit his minutes, but then again a win is a win...
inDe_eD
Bench Warmer
And1: 869

Post#100 » by inDe_eD » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:27 pm

UDRIH14 wrote:whats going to hurt kawhis stats are the blowout wins, pop will limit his minutes, but then again a win is a win...

I mean you're right about that, but shouldn't that validate Kawhi's stat impact? I.e. if he's as good as these stats say he is, his team should be blowing out the other team, which is exactly what IS happening (at least with the Warriors/Pelicans games anyway). The games that haven't been blowouts (vs. Miami was a blowout for a stretch there) have been Kawhi dominating the 4th quarter, and icing the game on both ends.

Random thought, Kawhi must have been told by Pop not to worry about rebounding this year, and to devout that energy to Offense instead. He's normal pretty vicious on the Defensive Glass, and he's definitely deferring to the teammates. It really puts into perspective what an accomplishment it is that guys like LBJ and RWB consistently rebound, score, and assist.
“Let's say TPE is a big hole, Ryan Anderson is a "power plug Dick" ($21 million a year). All you have to do is use the Dick to plug in. Great trade and great deal! This is called "perfect fit" in the nba.”

Return to Player Comparisons