2016/17 Player of the Year discussion thread

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Re: 2016/17 Player of the Year discussion thread 

Post#1481 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:49 am

Poor gordon hayward

Seeing chris paul dominate like this really has me question games where he plays it safe
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,504

Post#1482 » by GSP » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:00 am

RSCD3_ wrote:Poor gordon hayward

Seeing chris paul dominate like this really has me question games where he plays it safe

Obviously no Rudy but i cant remember the last time Cp3 has been this aggressive getting to the paint and looking to score inside as opposed to the 3s and midrange. Might have been when he was a Hornet
RSCD3_
RealGM

Post#1483 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:02 am

It just sucks he had to get hurt here because with him jazz are probably the favorite and without him it'll be over for them in 6

Sent from my SM-T550 using RealGM mobile app
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#1484 » by therealbig3 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:05 am

Eh, Griffin got hurt for the Clippers as well. So no excuses here, the Jazz are down their top big, and now so are the Clippers.

CP3 was just on another level tonight. It wasn't so much on Ingles though, he just kept abusing Favors once he got the switch.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#1485 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:08 am

GSP wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Unbelievable what happens when you actually let your teammates play ball. OKC looking good.

Translation: when Okc shooters are hitting their wide open shots :lol:

Well, of course they hit more shots tonight. That's what happens when there's more ball-movement and players are allowed to get comfortable and in more rhythm. It's not really a new concept.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#1486 » by bondom34 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:15 am

I came back for hot takes. I am not disappointed.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#1487 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:48 am

How were the OKC/HOU and UTAH/LAC games?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1488 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:51 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:How were the OKC/HOU and UTAH/LAC games?

Both awesome. It's been a fun first round so far.
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#1489 » by kayess » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:15 am

E-Balla wrote:
kayess wrote:"Russell Westbrook is an amazing player", "he should have made better decisions that 4th quarter", "he was not the reason they lost", and "he could have played better" are all not mutually exclusive. Don't let the agenda of biased posters bring you down to their level of discussion.

Sure, you can't blame them if they don't trust their teammates in some games when they're not making shots - but is that really the best long-term strategy? It'd vary on the players, team environment, etc... But a lot of what we know about those situations is that the choice to continue shooting is not due to some decision to optimize winning chances, but a stylistic choice, e.g., "I would go 0-30 before going 0-10", driven by who they are at their cores. That's not necessarily a bad thing - but it's often implied that "it was what was best for the team", when that's not all that clear at all.

And please don't ever mention Melo in the same sentence as Kobe and GOATbrook again.

Everyone who's ever stepped on a court could make better decisions. Everyone who's ever stepped on a court ever could've played better. Quite frankly it's a dumb criticism.

Thanks for calling me dumb unprovoked, btw.

Yes, even Nash could have made better decisions - are we really comparing Nash's potential for better decision making vs. what Westbrook did in the fourth?

Idk why people are so hesitant to have nuanced views of what happened, on either side. If pointing out that someone could have played better and the ways they could have, why even discuss anything? Let's just spam GOATbrook and Draymond memes and be done with this place.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1490 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:56 am

clyde21 wrote:
GSP wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Unbelievable what happens when you actually let your teammates play ball. OKC looking good.

Translation: when Okc shooters are hitting their wide open shots :lol:

Well, of course they hit more shots tonight. That's what happens when there's more ball-movement and players are allowed to get comfortable and in more rhythm. It's not really a new concept.

see Avery Bradley's quote tonight...paraphrasing:

"Everybody plays better when the ball is moving"
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1491 » by bondom34 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:02 am

Everyone shoots better at home.

And Oladipo shot less tonight than previous games. Also shot better.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#1492 » by E-Balla » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:29 am

kayess wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
kayess wrote:"Russell Westbrook is an amazing player", "he should have made better decisions that 4th quarter", "he was not the reason they lost", and "he could have played better" are all not mutually exclusive. Don't let the agenda of biased posters bring you down to their level of discussion.

Sure, you can't blame them if they don't trust their teammates in some games when they're not making shots - but is that really the best long-term strategy? It'd vary on the players, team environment, etc... But a lot of what we know about those situations is that the choice to continue shooting is not due to some decision to optimize winning chances, but a stylistic choice, e.g., "I would go 0-30 before going 0-10", driven by who they are at their cores. That's not necessarily a bad thing - but it's often implied that "it was what was best for the team", when that's not all that clear at all.

And please don't ever mention Melo in the same sentence as Kobe and GOATbrook again.

Everyone who's ever stepped on a court could make better decisions. Everyone who's ever stepped on a court ever could've played better. Quite frankly it's a dumb criticism.

Thanks for calling me dumb unprovoked, btw.

Yes, even Nash could have made better decisions - are we really comparing Nash's potential for better decision making vs. what Westbrook did in the fourth?

Idk why people are so hesitant to have nuanced views of what happened, on either side. If pointing out that someone could have played better and the ways they could have, why even discuss anything? Let's just spam GOATbrook and Draymond memes and be done with this place.

You can have a nuanced view but luke I said saying "he could've been better" is empty criticism because it applies to everything.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#1493 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:12 pm

The results are (likely) in: Westbrook has won MVP

With the help of Twitter and crowd-sourcing we spent 10 days searching for the NBA’s 100 MVP votes in the hope of introducing the world to James Harden, 2017 MVP winner.

Like a mad scientist who began their research with the best intentions, we’re dismayed by our ultimate discovery: Russell Westbrook will win the 2017 NBA MVP award.

Our crowd-sourcing and canvassing has found 62 of the NBA’s 100 first place votes for 2017 MVP. There was no announced list, so we identified the votes and that a voter had a ballot using Twitter, interviews, podcasts, articles and TV broadcasts.

And Westbrook will edge Harden.

- - - - -

Before we got to 62 first place votes counted we asked an associate professor of statistics at Wheelock College, Dr. Samuel Cook, to give us the odds.

With 59 total first place votes counted, Dr. Cook projects if the remaining 41 first and second place votes only go to Harden and Westbrook, and each voter puts Harden in 1st with probability 50%, then in 10,000 simulations Westbrook wins 99.9% of the time.

This probability drops minimally to 98.9% if you assume Westbrook will get more 3rd place votes than Harden at the current trend.

At odds like that, even if we've made three or four mistakes in our canvassing, crowd-sourcing or estimations it's not enough to derail this prediction.

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2017/4/21/15378112/russell-westbrook-nba-mvp-james-harden-vote-tracking
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#1494 » by MisterHibachi » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:35 pm

This is a precedent setting win. We'll see a lot more <50 win MVP winners moving forward, I think.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#1495 » by eminence » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:43 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:This is a precedent setting win. We'll see a lot more <50 win MVP winners moving forward, I think.

Yeah, while Westbrook isn't my pick for MVP (Curry), I'm still quite happy that we'll have set that precedent going forward. Best player isn't always on the best team.
I bought a boat.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,555

Re: RE: Re: 2016/17 Player of the Year discussion thread 

Post#1496 » by Colbinii » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:44 pm

eminence wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:This is a precedent setting win. We'll see a lot more <50 win MVP winners moving forward, I think.

Yeah, while Westbrook isn't my pick for MVP (Curry), I'm still quite happy that we'll have set that precedent going forward. Best player isn't always on the best team.

And MVP isn't about best player either.

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,345

Post#1497 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:15 pm

That depends on how voters feel about it after the playoffs. When unusual candidates win this can create a backlash against similar candidates.

At the vey least, nobody is going to care about triple doubles the same way in future years. Westbrook won in part because he did the impossible. The next triple double will just be doing what Westbrook did.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Re: RE: Re: 2016/17 Player of the Year discussion thread 

Post#1498 » by eminence » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:26 pm

Colbinii wrote:
eminence wrote:

And MVP isn't about best player either.

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app

True enough. Best player, had the best season, most valuable - whatever, it's really up to the individual voter and regardless of which you go with you usually wind up with a similar list of contenders. I'm just glad (or at least hopeful, Doc MJ raises a good point about potential backlash) that team win totals may be less of a factor going forward.
I bought a boat.
RSCD3_
RealGM

Post#1499 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:37 pm

I don't think Westbrook played smart at all with some of his shots in game 2 but that doesn't mean his entire approach sucks

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1500 » by bondom34 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:30 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/66xbuz/okcs_efg_rises_by_101_on_shots_from_westbrooks/

Interesting look at passes to teammates. PG13's teammates shoot way way better when he's the passer, same for Westbrook. PG's jump is crazy huge.

Return to Player Comparisons