2016/17 Player of the Year discussion thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Re: 2016/17 Player of the Year discussion thread 

Post#201 » by RCM88x » Fri Dec 2, 2016 12:42 am

Westbrook, Lebron, and CP3 are the only guys deserving at this point.

Kawhi hasn't been great recently and currently has worse numbers than last season, Harden is playing very well, but isn't winning at the needed rate. Curry and Durant don't deserve any individual awards currently.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#202 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Dec 2, 2016 12:48 am

RCM88x wrote:Westbrook, Lebron, and CP3 are the only guys deserving at this point.

Kawhi hasn't been great recently and currently has worse numbers than last season, Harden is playing very well, but isn't winning at the needed rate. Curry and Durant don't deserve any individual awards currently.

The Rockets have a better record than the Thunder and a better SRS, they're doing pretty comparable. I mean other than rebounding, which doesn't really matter that much outside of making a pretty statline, Westbrook doesn't have any clear advantage on James Harden. How is Harden not a POTY candidate?
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#203 » by RCM88x » Fri Dec 2, 2016 12:53 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
RCM88x wrote:Westbrook, Lebron, and CP3 are the only guys deserving at this point.

The Rockets have a better record than the Thunder and a better SRS, they're doing pretty comparable. I mean other than rebounding, which doesn't really matter that much outside of making a pretty statline, Westbrook doesn't have any clear advantage on James Harden. How is Harden not a POTY candidate?

I believe Harden currently has a much better supporting cast around him relative to his play style than Westbrook. I also believe that Westbrooks stats are much more impressive than Harden's, which is kind of mind boggling. Believe me, I think Harden is right up there. I just cant justify putting him over Westbrook at this point and therefor I can't justify putting him in my top 3. Very possible within the next few days I'll put him in over CP3, if the Clippers keep losing.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#204 » by bondom34 » Fri Dec 2, 2016 2:13 am

Houston and OKC have the same record if Houston loses tonight.

Edit: Well scratch that :D.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#205 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Dec 2, 2016 7:12 am

Rockets are looking pretty good. Don't think this style will translate into ps, but as far as rs goes I think they're p legit.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Gil
Starter
And1: 1,283

Post#206 » by Gil » Fri Dec 2, 2016 2:00 pm

Harden is clearly PoTY. Houston have already played 6 home games all season yet they're only 3 losses behind the 3rd seed.

Also funny how he suddenly has a better supporting cast than Russ when NO ONE was saying that before the season started.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#207 » by bondom34 » Fri Dec 2, 2016 2:09 pm

Gil wrote:Harden is clearly PoTY. Houston have already played 6 home games all season yet they're only 3 losses behind the 3rd seed.

Also funny how he suddenly has a better supporting cast than Russ when NO ONE was saying that before the season started.

To the second point, they're better offensively for sure, overall its a little closer but the main issue w/ them was always health. Anderson and Gordon are very good players but have been injured a ton the last few years. The rest (except Brewer) have always been decent.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
NinjaSheppard
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#208 » by NinjaSheppard » Fri Dec 2, 2016 2:24 pm

Won't say anything yet because I think it is way too early to have an opinion but it feels like D'Antoni is having the impact that people thought Thibs would have. What a fantastic coach.
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#209 » by RightToCensor » Fri Dec 2, 2016 4:34 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Rockets are looking pretty good. Don't think this style will translate into ps, but as far as rs goes I think they're p legit.

It's hard to see how the Rockets can't translate their style to the playoffs.

They have an offensive superstar and a bunch of knockdown shooters, unless Harden, Anderson, Ariza, and Gordon all go cold in the playoffs I can't see them not getting out the first round. If the Rockets can contain that fourth seed I think they should be favored in whatever series they're in whether or not they have HCA.

Getting out the second round is a different conversation, that's when you have to worry about the real elite teams in the Clippers, Warriors, and Spurs.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#210 » by bondom34 » Fri Dec 2, 2016 4:39 pm

I'm thinking Giannis is going to have to slot in somewhere in my 10 if he keeps this up, though I don't have any real list so far. Just more a free flowing thought for now.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Re: RE: Re: 2016/17 Player of the Year discussion thread 

Post#211 » by K_chile22 » Fri Dec 2, 2016 4:40 pm

bondom34 wrote:Houston and OKC have the same record if Houston loses tonight.

It's ok, they are 100% going to lose tonight. Probably got to Denver at 3 and have 14 hours till tip off lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using RealGM mobile app
thekdog34
Starter
And1: 782

Post#212 » by thekdog34 » Fri Dec 2, 2016 5:05 pm

Harden has come back down to earth. Other than rebounding, assist numbers and getting to the line, he hasnt been impressive.

His 3pt shooting is down to 35% and he's taking more than ever. He's gonna break his own turnover record. His defense is mediocre (at best)
K_chile22
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: 2016/17 Player of the Year discussion thread 

Post#213 » by K_chile22 » Fri Dec 2, 2016 7:00 pm

thekdog34 wrote:Harden has come back down to earth. Other than rebounding, assist numbers and getting to the line, he hasnt been impressive.

His 3pt shooting is down to 35% and he's taking more than ever. He's gonna break his own turnover record. His defense is mediocre (at best)

Do you ever stop trying to find things wrong with Harden? Almost every game you have nothing but negative things to say on the Harden thread. Seems tiresome.

thekdog34
Starter
And1: 782

Post#214 » by thekdog34 » Fri Dec 2, 2016 7:55 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
thekdog34 wrote:Harden has come back down to earth. Other than rebounding, assist numbers and getting to the line, he hasnt been impressive.

Do you ever stop trying to find things wrong with Harden? Almost every game you have nothing but negative things to say on the Harden thread. Seems tiresome.

There's been a lot of harden for MVP talk so just reporting what I'm seeing. If people were actually watching, looking at the stats and accurately reporting then I wouldn't have to.

I watch every game and he's nowhere near what he was in 2014-15 when he was a true MVP caliber player imo.

His defense was much better yesterday though. He got a key stop on Durant and then Curry (drew a charge).
PeptoKlepto
Senior
And1: 702

Post#215 » by PeptoKlepto » Fri Dec 2, 2016 9:20 pm

Warriors offense completely sputtered last night without Steph.
Gil
Starter
And1: 1,283

Post#216 » by Gil » Sat Dec 3, 2016 1:07 am

People trying to discredit Harden should take into account the Rockets have played the toughest schedule in the League so far, only 6 games at home & he's forced to create around 70% of his shots.
K_chile22
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2016/17 Player of the Year discussion thread 

Post#217 » by K_chile22 » Sat Dec 3, 2016 6:06 am

K_chile22 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Houston and OKC have the same record if Houston loses tonight.

It's ok, they are 100% going to lose tonight. Probably got to Denver at 3 and have 14 hours till tip off lol

Welp!

Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 625

Post#218 » by Fundamentals21 » Sat Dec 3, 2016 7:56 am

I've absolutely loved this year so far. A player like Paul George won't even be spoken about as so many of the league's superstars are nothing short of amazing.

At present My Top 5 candidates are so up in the air, it's absurd.

Anthony Davis
Steph Curry
LeBron James
Russell Westbrook
James Harden
Kevin Durant
Chris Paul
Kawhi Leonard
Jimmy Butler

In terms of sheer effort and how valuable someone is to their team : The answer has to be Russell Westbrook. He deserves the MVP award, but OKC will likely fall short of the required win total.

There are 9 strong candidates jousting for the Top 5 spot, that is pretty amazing. Chris Paul is adding to his serious longevity. He was a strong MVP candidate in 2008. The year is 2017. Even with his untimely injuries, that is absurd.

Then there's the rest:

Demar Derozan, Demarcus Cousins, Paul George, Draymond Green, Giannis, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Damian Lillard.

At present, I don't see myself placing any of these in the Top 5, but as the season goes on - Who knows what happens? There's 17 players total here. Two of them will miss out on an All NBA team spot. Incredible, incredible year so far.
PeptoKlepto
Senior
And1: 702

Post#219 » by PeptoKlepto » Sat Dec 3, 2016 8:16 am

Top candidates for POY/MVP, IMO:

1. Chris Paul - he's cooled off a bit lately, but still remains atop the list
2. Stephen Curry - he's the heart and soul of the Warriors. The offense goes as he's goes, and we're talking a GOAT offense.
3. Russell Westbrook - one man wrecking crew. I do think he's supporting cast is getting a bit underrated.
4. LeBron James - everything in Cleveland goes through this guy. He's coasting a bit, which speaks volumes on how good he is being this high.
5. James Harden - extremely well rounded offensive set, match made in heaven with D'Antoni. Like Westbrook, I think his cast is a bit unappreciated at times.
6. Kevin Durant - speaks for himself. Unreal efficiency. Has been a monster defender.

I think at this point I'm confident in saying it'll be one of these 6 guys. I think voters will try everything to keep it from going to Curry or Durant, so it'll be one of Paul, Westbrook, James or Harden. Paul/James will have the records and seeds, Westbrook and Harden will have the eye-popping box score.
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Post#220 » by Krodis » Sat Dec 3, 2016 3:32 pm

The amount of top end talent in the league just seems to be getting more and more absurd each year. The Top 9 guys are absurd level players, and then after that you have people like Butler and Giannis and Griffin and George and Lillard and Love. It's insane.

Sent from my SM-N910V using RealGM mobile app

Return to Player Comparisons