Dirk Nowitzki vs. Larry Bird (career)

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Re: Dirk Nowitzki vs. Larry Bird (career) 

Post#21 » by Dr Spaceman » Sat Dec 3, 2016 2:45 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
mischievous wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Compared to Dirk though, Bird IS lacking in all-time seasons. Dirk has about 11 seasons where he was competitive for best offensive player in the world status and led his team to a 50 win season, Bird has about 9.

That's not really a big difference though.

Yes it is. Think about just how valuable it is to have a top 3 offensive player in the world for an entire season. Both guys provided tremendous offensive value--getting 2 extra years at that level of play is enormous. Why should Dirk not receive credit for real-world benefits?

Right- considering the guy who did a study on this found that players of prime Dirk's caliber give their teams about a 30% chance to win a title, this is a very, very big deal.

Source: http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1197767
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,139

Post#22 » by tsherkin » Sat Dec 3, 2016 5:44 pm

The Dirk/Bird comparison has fascinated me for years. Initially born out of him being a tall white dude who could shoot, I was never much fond of the argument... but then the rest of Dirk's career happened and it got to be far, far more interesting than it was in, say, 2001. Dirk turned out to be a staggering, ATG talent who maintained almost identical production in the postseason as a scorer while improving his rebounding. He provided guard-like end-clock value, which is nearly unheard-of for a dude of his size even to this point in league history, and of course he has that iconic run to the title in 2011, his second time leading his squad of decent and well-organized vets to the Finals.

Quotatious wrote:There's also something interesting about Bird's playmaking - his assists to turnovers ratio looks very similar to LeBron's, but his AST% is far lower than LeBron's, it's more like Kobe's. Bird had that ability to make passes leading to easy baskets without having to dominate the ball, which is a valuable skill, but LeBron's career AST% is 10% higher than Larry's, with basically identical TOV%. To put things into perspective - the gap in terms of AST% between Bird and Dirk is just about 1-2% bigger, than the gap between LeBron and Bird (and, Dirk's TOV% is considerably lower than Larry's). Kobe's AST/TOV% ratio is slightly better than Larry's, and I don't think many people would argue Kobe as a better playmaker than Larry...That shows why comparing raw statistical averages across eras is misleading, and why modern players are generally more effective.

This interests me, because AST% is a proportion of total buckets on which a player provided an assist... and there were more buckets per game in Bird's era. Volume of buckets would change that, and of course Bird had other playmakers on the team. Lebron is a PnR spam artist, so their approaches were different. Not sure that the difference in AST% is that meaningful, or at least AS meaningful as the gap implies. Bird's Celtics played at or over 98 possessions per game in all but one season of Bird's career (his last), and Lebron has played OVER 92 possessions per game only since returning to the Cavs in 2015. They're playing at 97.4 this season, which is the fastest at which he's played... but as an astute poster on the Raps board noted in another thread, the pace and style of the other team is dictating things more than the speed of the Cavs.

Now, that said, Lebron has also been improving as a playmaker over the years and he's looking amazing this season in particular. I don't think these numbers totally capture Bird as a playmaker though. I think that you're underselling him by reducing that to "passes leading to easy buckets," particularly when you consider the breadth of set types in which his passing made a difference. Lebron's style is tailor-made for assist generation with shooters in the corners, but it also makes more friction with other ball-dominant guys, which is itself a trade-off, as we've seen. AST% does also fail to account for roster context and style of play, right? It merely tells you a proportion, and proportion is like volume, not necessarily an end in and of itself. That's important to remember.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#23 » by JordansBulls » Sat Dec 3, 2016 11:44 pm

What separates them is Bird can be considered the best in the league for a good 3 years while Dirk had one season. Also the 3 MVP's to 1 MVP is big.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Amares
Pro Prospect
And1: 387

Post#24 » by Amares » Sun Dec 4, 2016 10:41 am

feyki wrote:
Amares wrote:
feyki wrote:
Kareem was in his 32 when he got the mvp at 1980 . 80-82 Erving was old ? Are you kidding me ? The man was arguable the best player in the league while playing with a level , which was the very close to his peak(76,77) . 81-83 Moses , 86-88 Jordan and Prime Magic .

Think about him , instead of Lebron , drafted in 2003 . 2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 , he would've been 7 time straight mvp . Nash/Dirk/Kobe/Rose vs Erving/Moses/Magic/Jordan , not even debatable ..

Not sure why you're starting with 2003 when we talk about Dirk. And funny how you missed James and few other players. I said Kareem and Dr J were old when Bird entered his prime and started winning MVPs, so in fact he only compete with Magic. And Magic was at his best after this time even. Fact is that only in 2000-2005 Dirk had to compete with prime Shaq, prime Duncan, prime Garnett, prime Bryant, prime Kidd, prime Tracy, later on he faced prime Nash, prime Wade, prime Paul, prime Bryant, prime Howard, prime James, and today we have even more MVP caliber players. And you are trying to prove Birds competition by DrJ and Kareem who were long after thier prime, Isiah who was never even MVP candidate, or young rookie without team Jordan? Telling Bird would've won 7 MVP with this competition is the silliest thing I've seen recently. TBH I don't see him winning more than 1 if any at all, but 7? :crazy:

I said without great competition . And in the James' years , competition wasn't comparable to Bird's . Shaq,Duncan and KG were great mvp's and then Lebron . I'm a Dirk fan since 2006 (also Nash my man too ) , but Dirk nor Nash wasn't great mvp's(Kobe too) . Moses definitely was . Magic and Jordan too . Bird even in his rookie year , was better most of you count . Or let's make it clear , 82 Bird > 05 Nash , 83 Bird > 06 Nash , 84 Bird > 07 Dirk , 85 Bird > 08 Kobe , 86 Bird > 09 Kobe , 87 Bird > 10 Durant , 88 Bird > 11 Rose .

In James' years competition was greater to Birds what I proved in my last post. Dirk was not any worse MVP than Moses or Dr J in their MVP seasons, Nash was GOAT level offensive player and GOAT offense creator in Suns. Kobe could be worse, but still Bryant with his reputation and theme "Bryant has 0 MVP, and we want him to be the next Michael Jordan, we must give him when there is a chance" would be MVP.

82 Bird > 05 Nash , 83 Bird > 06 Nash , 84 Bird > 07 Dirk , 85 Bird > 08 Kobe , 86 Bird > 09 Kobe , 87 Bird > 10 Durant , 88 Bird > 11 Rose .

I don't see Bird being much better than Nash if any, Dirk 07 was better than Bird 84. And in 09 and 10 MVP was James, so why you're excluding him if Dirk had to play against him? Bird would only dream about MVP with prime James in the league. Besides, better player is not equal to MVP. For example Rose in 2011 was not even top 5 player in the league, but was honored because of Bulls result and his flashy game style and popular aspect. Bird would lose MVP with Rose for the same reason James and Howard lost. And I don't know why you're still ignoring that Moses, KAJ, DrJ were competition only in early 80s. In 84-86 Bird compete with Magic only who was not at his best even. Bernard King and Dominique Wilkins were most voted players in his MVP seasons :roll:.

Bird even in his rookie year , was better most of you count

This only proves how big myths today exist around earlier decade players.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#25 » by Quotatious » Sun Dec 4, 2016 12:08 pm

JordansBulls wrote:What separates them is Bird can be considered the best in the league for a good 3 years while Dirk had one season. Also the 3 MVP's to 1 MVP is big.

You know, Shaq also has just 1 MVP and Bird has 3, while Nash has 2, so I'm not sure if that's really a good argument...
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,680

Post#26 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Dec 4, 2016 2:30 pm

Quotatious wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:What separates them is Bird can be considered the best in the league for a good 3 years while Dirk had one season. Also the 3 MVP's to 1 MVP is big.

You know, Shaq also has just 1 MVP and Bird has 3, while Nash has 2, so I'm not sure if that's really a good argument...

Not to mention Dirk has arguments for the MVP in 4 seasons: 2005-07, 2011. Now he didn't win them in those years, but he could have won in any of those years and no one would think him an unworthy winner. I mean if he doesn't miss those games in 2011 I imagine he probably is the MVP. The Mavs record would be as good or better than the Bulls and his performance was clearly superior to that of Rose. And from 05-07 He led the entire league in WS/48 and in 06 and 07 he led the league in both OWS and WS.

I do think Bird at his best was better than Dirk at his, but I disagree that Dirk only had one MVP-caliber season.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#27 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 3:11 pm

I think it's fairly close, but I'd probably pick Bird for his better all-around game. One thing in Bird's favor is that he had great players around him many years which doesn't hurt your rep. Nowitzki had some very good talent at times but not on the level of what Bird had surrounding him for much of his career.
But Bird did turn the Celtics around as a rookie with much of the same talent as the year before. He didn't have Parrish and McHale when he was a rookie.

Return to Player Comparisons