Replace Blake Griffin with Peak Karl Malone?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Replace Blake Griffin with Peak Karl Malone? 

Post#1 » by Cyrusman122000 » Sun Jan 1, 2017 8:30 am

On the clippers. How much better would they be?
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,300

Re: Replace Blake Griffin with Peak Karl Malone? 

Post#2 » by 3Diamantidis » Sun Jan 1, 2017 4:40 pm

Karl Malone at 52 still gives me the impression that he could play some mins in the league 8-)
They would have been a lot better, title contenders for sure.
Only the fact that KM would have actually made full seasons would have given them far better seeds.
The PnR with CP would have been even better(easily) and the D-especially 1 on 1-, would have been better as well.
Griffin is very good no doubt. But he can't remain healthy and that's a major issue.
Let alone the fact that his O no matter how good it is, will never reach KM's level.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#3 » by Quotatious » Sun Jan 1, 2017 4:52 pm

They would be a lot better, I think peak Karl was easily superior to Blake in regular season, and even in the playoffs when his shot was often inconsistent, he still brought much better defense than Griffin. CP3 is a better player than Stockton, and equally great at pick & roll, so I think Paul/Malone would be an even more dangerous duo than Paul/Griffin or Stockton/Malone. Besides, Malone almost never missed any games, and injuries have been a big problem for Griffin in the last two seasons.

Peak Karl had almost 29 PER, 26.8 WS/48 and 8.5 BPM (same season, 1996-97), peak Blake had 23.9 PER, 20.5 WS/48 and 4.6 BPM in 2014, so Karl was on a different level in terms of productivity, then you add Malone's defensive edge, and it's a massive difference.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#4 » by Kabookalu » Mon Jan 2, 2017 8:18 am

I'd be intrigued to see this not just for the offense, but the defense as well. Malone's defense reminds me a bit of Paul Millsap's actually, in the way that they have great hands and always disrupted possessions just because they were so great at digging in on players without fouling. Malone was great at tying players up, ditto for Millsap. Why I think this is important is because the Clippers would have two such players, one being Malone, the other Chris Paul. Having one such player is already annoying for a defense to have, but two who did it at an elite level?

Not to say this value would exceed that of the offensive upgrade Malone would bring over Griffin, though for me it's interesting to imagine. I think it's stuff like this that could elevate a good defense like the Clippers to elite.
Read on Twitter
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#5 » by FJS » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:47 pm

what km? 90? 92? 97? 98?
Drylick
Pro Prospect
And1: 274

Post#6 » by Drylick » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:23 am

Malone could break zones with his elite midrange jumpers. He can also pound the paint on an all-time level. I don't think they'd win the ring though. Finals appearances would be the best bet.

Return to Player Comparisons