Aaron Rodgers of the NBA

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: Aaron Rodgers of the NBA 

Post#41 » by spearsy23 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Colbinii wrote:
BasketballFan7 wrote:LeBron. Brady is Jordan.

I have Rodgers over Brady, should I have LeBron over Jordan?

Only if you want to be wrong twice
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Post#42 » by BasketballFan7 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:58 pm

JordansBulls wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

What way is Rodgers over Brady? Not sure I always hear Montana was the best. Heard of rule changes happening which is why a lot of QB get numbers now, but I am not really big on football.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_td_career.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gwd_career.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_cmp_career.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_cmp_career_playoffs.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_td_career_playoffs.htm

I see him ahead in passer rating
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_td_perc_career.htm

It is difficult to compare stats across eras in football. Passing (and offense in general) has a huge advantage now a days. I started watching football in ~2005, and even then it was far different. Statistics in football are tricky in general because it is an 22 man game with more performance variables.

One can claim Rodgers as better than Brady based off of the eye test or certain statistics. The ring argument has even worse logic in football than it does in basketball, because in basketball at least the players play both ways, and there are less people on the playing field/court. Brady could be argued as more Magic than Jordan.
FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,794

Post#43 » by Colbinii » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:12 am

spearsy23 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Well my eyes must be lying to me. I am a die-hard Minnesota Vikings fan, and I hate the Packers, but what Aaron Rodgers has done for the past 10 years has been more impressive than what Brady has done (a team that went 10-6 without Brady, may I remind you).
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Post#44 » by BasketballFan7 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:17 am

Colbinii wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Well my eyes must be lying to me. I am a die-hard Minnesota Vikings fan, and I hate the Packers, but what Aaron Rodgers has done for the past 10 years has been more impressive than what Brady has done (a team that went 10-6 without Brady, may I remind you).

Honestly, being a Vikings fan probably plays into you having Rodgers over Brady. Similarly, I, as a Falcons fan, am probably higher on Drew Brees than most people. Bills, Jets, and Dolphins fans likely detest Brady but they know his greatness more than anybody.

Rodgers is clearly (IMO) a bit better than Brady when he is firing on all cylinders, but I have Brady ahead overall.
FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,258

Post#45 » by mademan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:17 am

Rogers is definitely>>Brady. Chit defense and poor WR's and he's still in the NFC championship. I dont think Brady makes the PO's with this Packers team
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#46 » by Colbinii » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:19 am

mademan wrote:Rogers is definitely>>Brady. Chit defense and poor WR's and he's still in the NFC championship. I dont think Brady makes the PO's with this Packers team

We are comparing careers, not a single season.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,258

Post#47 » by mademan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:22 am

Colbinii wrote:
mademan wrote:Rogers is definitely>>Brady. Chit defense and poor WR's and he's still in the NFC championship. I dont think Brady makes the PO's with this Packers team

In the NFL though, wayyyyy more than basketball, it's about a team effort. It doesnt matter how good Rogers plays if his defense cant get a stop, or if his receivers drop catchable balls. Brady has always had a good defense to lean on in all his championships, Rogers has rarely had that luxury. Brady has top tier management, Rogers has Lebron first stint/KG type management.

I'm talking about how good these guys have been at their best, and, imo, Rogers edges out brady there. Longevity is another issue, but it's not like Rogers is a 15 minute star
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#48 » by Colbinii » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:28 am

mademan wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

In the NFL though, wayyyyy more than basketball, it's about a team effort. It doesnt matter how good Rogers plays if his defense cant get a stop, or if his receivers drop catchable balls. Brady has always had a good defense to lean on in all his championships, Rogers has rarely had that luxury. Brady has top tier management, Rogers has Lebron first stint/KG type management.

I'm talking about how good these guys have been at their best, and, imo, Rogers edges out brady there. Longevity is another issue, but it's not like Rogers is a 15 minute star

I am saying using this argument
Chit defense and poor WR's and he's still in the NFC championship. I dont think Brady makes the PO's with this Packers team
means you are talking about this season, and this should be about who is "greater", not better in 2017.

I don't know, but I think Peak Brady could have led nearly any team of talent to the post-season. The Green Bay Packers have good receivers and a decent defense (though, they were injured most of the season, especially their secondary). I picked Green Bay to come out of the NFC because I was not high on anyone in that conference this season.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#49 » by Jim Naismith » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:01 am

JordansBulls wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

What way is Rodgers over Brady? Not sure I always hear Montana was the best. Heard of rule changes happening which is why a lot of QB get numbers now, but I am not really big on football.

Also Rodgers plays for a franchise that's already won multiple Super Bowls, whereas Brady won the first championship for his franchise.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#50 » by JordansBulls » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:09 am

Jim Naismith wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Also Rodgers plays for a franchise that's already won multiple Super Bowls, whereas Brady won the first championship for his franchise.

Exactly!!
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Re: RE: Re: Aaron Rodgers of the NBA 

Post#51 » by bigboi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:19 am

Ballerhogger wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
bigboi wrote:
Lol, Rodgers isn't better than Brady

I think he is.

Agreed Aaron gives you that double threat that Brady can't give you. Tom plays in better weak division The NFC north had 2 playoff teams this year.

NFC north has been weak for most of Rodgers' career, what are you even talking about? Brady has had a better career. Has better numbers in the regular season and better numbers in the playoffs so what exactly is Rodgers better at? Scrambling? I
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#52 » by andrewww » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 am

As a Pats fan, Rodgers on talent alone is the only other QB that I think you can make a reasonable argument as being the GOAT.

In our era, I'd rank the the 4 best QBs as:

1. Brady
2. Rodgers
3. Brees
4. Manning
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#53 » by SkyHookFTW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:24 am

One thing I will say is that Tom Brady has played and learned under one of the best coaches ever in any sport. Brady didn't always have good weapons though. I've played and coached the game since the mid 70's. Brady is one of the top three QB's of all time, rule changes or not. Only people in the conversation are Montana, Elway, and Peyton Manning, and I'm not as high on Manning as some are. Manning did not play well in his SB's. Elway didn't win until he had a running game to carry the load (Terrell Davis). Montana benefitted from a great coach and weapons, but played in a defensively tough era--though he was throwing to the man I believe to be the greatest football player ever in Jerry Rice. Would like to see Marino in today's game--6,000 yards passing might be broken. Rodgers I think can be a top four or five guy when his career is over.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#54 » by TheProdigy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:27 am

bigboi wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I think he is.

Agreed Aaron gives you that double threat that Brady can't give you. Tom plays in better weak division The NFC north had 2 playoff teams this year.

NFC north has been weak for most of Rodgers' career, what are you even talking about? Brady has had a better career. Has better numbers in the regular season and better numbers in the playoffs so what exactly is Rodgers better at? Scrambling? I

By which metric(s) does Brady have better #s? Rodgers has better passer rating, completion %, yards per attempt, and td to int ratio...
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#55 » by mtron929 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 am

Ranking these all time great QBs is pretty much an impossible task. Let's imagine that the NBA season was 16 games and then teams played in a single elimination tournament. And guys like Lebron, Curry, etc. only play on offensive possessions and some other dudes on their teams played defense. Oh, and most of the plays are scripted such that they need to run the play exactly as it is scripted. On top of that, there are 22 guys on the basketball court and 53 players on a team.

And then, imagine trying to decide whether Westbrook or Harden was better.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#56 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:54 am

bigboi wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:

Scrambling , extended plays , this year he has been on fire to get in the playoffs. . Tom been ok.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#57 » by Colbinii » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:00 am

bigboi wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:

Rodgers has more mobility in the pocket. He is better at extending plays and he is far better at throwing on the run. Does he actually have better regular season numbers?

Rodgers has a career INT Rate of 1.5%. He has an average of 7.9 Y/A, 12.2 Y/C, and 270.4 Y/G. The yardage stats don't mean as much as the others do in my opinion, but his rating of 104.5 is fantastic.
Brady has a career INT Rate of 1.8%.He has an average of 7.5 Y/A, 11.7 Y/C, and 260.9 Y/G. He has a career rating of 97.2.

This is very much like a Duncan versus LeBron debate. LeBron, the shorter prime than the longevity than Duncan had, but LeBron can flat out do more on the court and had a higher impact in his prime.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#58 » by bigboi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:26 am

Colbinii wrote:
bigboi wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Agreed Aaron gives you that double threat that Brady can't give you. Tom plays in better weak division The NFC north had 2 playoff teams this year.

Rodgers has more mobility in the pocket. He is better at extending plays and he is far better at throwing on the run. Does he actually have better regular season numbers?

Rodgers has a career INT Rate of 1.5%. He has an average of 7.9 Y/A, 12.2 Y/C, and 270.4 Y/G. The yardage stats don't mean as much as the others do in my opinion, but his rating of 104.5 is fantastic.
Brady has a career INT Rate of 1.8%.He has an average of 7.5 Y/A, 11.7 Y/C, and 260.9 Y/G. He has a career rating of 97.2.

This is very much like a Duncan versus LeBron debate. LeBron, the shorter prime than the longevity than Duncan had, but LeBron can flat out do more on the court and had a higher impact in his prime.

First of all, stop comparing football to basketball. Not even close to the same thing. Brady has gone farther in the playoffs and has been better than Rodgers in the playoffs as well. Plus Rodgers' receiving core has been better than Brady's career wise
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#59 » by Colbinii » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:40 am

bigboi wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
bigboi wrote:

First of all, stop comparing football to basketball. Not even close to the same thing. Brady has gone farther in the playoffs and has been better than Rodgers in the playoffs as well. Plus Rodgers' receiving core has been better than Brady's career wise

1. That is the entire point of this thread. We are on a basketball forum and the thread asks who is the Aaron Rodgers of NBA. Sorry for responding to the thread in the thread? lol... :crazy:

I know they aren't close, but that is what this thread is about, and I enjoy both sports.

2. Brady's TEAM'S have gone further. Key word, TEAMS. Rodgers has a higher Y/A, Yards/Game, and passer rating in the postseason (this one not even close, Brady at 87.4, Rodgers at 100.1). Do you really think they difference in receivers, which isn't that drastic, is enough to make up the vast difference? For reference, Alex Smith has a career passer rating of 85.3.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
JulesWinnfield
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,354

Post#60 » by JulesWinnfield » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:53 am

I've been watching since 88 and Rodgers is the best I've seen. He certainly has the most complete skill set. Arm strength, accuracy (including but not limited to his ability to be accurate on the move), pocket elusiveness, awareness of the rush while keeping his eyes downfield and general comfort in the face of pressure, generalship/command of the game (as we saw Sunday you sub against this guy at your own peril, he will get that free 5 yards and catch you in the chaos). He is basically in the top 1 percent in all of these areas. He doesn't have a weakness. He's basically the perfect QB

I still think they lose in Atlanta though. They are just too thin at DB right now against an offense that you don't want to see in that situation

As for his NBA comparison? I really have no idea. It's so apples and oranges

Return to Player Comparisons