Replace Embiid with rookie Wilt

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,505

Replace Embiid with rookie Wilt 

Post#1 » by 70sFan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:33 am

Replace Embiid with rookie Wilt - how well would the Sixers fare?
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Re: Replace Embiid with rookie Wilt 

Post#2 » by SkyHookFTW » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Replacing Embiid with Wilt doesn't address their biggest need at all, the backcourt, so probably not much improvement, maybe 5-6 games overall. If Brett Brown gave Wilt 40 MPG in this day and age, Wilt's stats are definitely better than Embiid's, as Wilt was a rebounding machine from day one. Wilt was a better passer so those double teams that they use on Embiid could hurt a team, but given the 76ers lack of perimeter scoring, I'm not sure how many more PPG the 76ers would get. Even rookie Wilt was a much more polished player that Embiid at this point, for obvious reasons. Skinny, springy Wilt--who was still strong as hell--probably leads the league in rebounding and would compete for a scoring title even without a 3-pt shot. Wilt played 46 MPG, scoring 37 PPG with 27 RPG in his rookie year. He would be the fastest big in the league. I'd say he would average 26/17 with 5 assists and 4 blocks. Force feeding him maybe 30 PPG given the way defense is played today---maybe. Enough to get the Sixers to the 8th seed? Dunno about that...I guess it's possible, but not probable.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#3 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:25 pm

SkyHookFTW wrote:Replacing Embiid with Wilt doesn't address their biggest need at all, the backcourt, so probably not much improvement, maybe 5-6 games overall. If Brett Brown gave Wilt 40 MPG in this day and age, Wilt's stats are definitely better than Embiid's, as Wilt was a rebounding machine from day one. Wilt was a better passer so those double teams that they use on Embiid could hurt a team, but given the 76ers lack of perimeter scoring, I'm not sure how many more PPG the 76ers would get. Even rookie Wilt was a much more polished player that Embiid at this point, for obvious reasons. Skinny, springy Wilt--who was still strong as hell--probably leads the league in rebounding and would compete for a scoring title even without a 3-pt shot. Wilt played 46 MPG, scoring 37 PPG with 27 RPG in his rookie year. He would be the fastest big in the league. I'd say he would average 26/17 with 5 assists and 4 blocks. Force feeding him maybe 30 PPG given the way defense is played today---maybe. Enough to get the Sixers to the 8th seed? Dunno about that...I guess it's possible, but not probable.

You also need to take into account missed games

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by SkyHookFTW » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:33 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:
SkyHookFTW wrote:Replacing Embiid with Wilt doesn't address their biggest need at all, the backcourt, so probably not much improvement, maybe 5-6 games overall. If Brett Brown gave Wilt 40 MPG in this day and age, Wilt's stats are definitely better than Embiid's, as Wilt was a rebounding machine from day one. Wilt was a better passer so those double teams that they use on Embiid could hurt a team, but given the 76ers lack of perimeter scoring, I'm not sure how many more PPG the 76ers would get. Even rookie Wilt was a much more polished player that Embiid at this point, for obvious reasons. Skinny, springy Wilt--who was still strong as hell--probably leads the league in rebounding and would compete for a scoring title even without a 3-pt shot. Wilt played 46 MPG, scoring 37 PPG with 27 RPG in his rookie year. He would be the fastest big in the league. I'd say he would average 26/17 with 5 assists and 4 blocks. Force feeding him maybe 30 PPG given the way defense is played today---maybe. Enough to get the Sixers to the 8th seed? Dunno about that...I guess it's possible, but not probable.

You also need to take into account missed games

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Aye, forgot about that.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#5 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:21 am

70sFan wrote:Replace Embiid with rookie Wilt - how well would the Sixers fare?

The big change is the minute restriction and back to backs, statistically. I think Wilt has Embiid by a point per 36. Two incredibly weird sentences considering I'm talking about Wilt **** Chamberlain.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,116

Post#6 » by og15 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:49 am

Embiid can only play like 26 mpg, and he's only been allowed to play 27/38 games. The Sixers are +2.1 NetRtg when he's on the court, so since Wilt would be able to play a lot more than 26 mpg and would not have been forced to sit for 11 games, they would be battling for the playoffs. They are 10-17 (30 win pace) in the games Embiid has played with him playing 25 mpg, if Embiid himself had been playing 34 mpg and 38 total games for example they would probably be closer to about 17-18 wins instead of 12, and that's with Embiid still having a large turnover problem.

Switch him with Wilt who will be playing those extra minutes and not sitting out any games, and you can add a couple more wins and we're looking at a team that could be more like 20-18 record wise.
juice4080
Sixth Man
And1: 513

Post#7 » by juice4080 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:31 pm

im a huge embiid fan but this is nonsense...we are talking about possibly the most dominant player ever here
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#8 » by trex_8063 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:45 pm

juice4080 wrote:im a huge embiid fan but this is nonsense...

What is nonsense, exactly?
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
juice4080
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by juice4080 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:52 pm

trex_8063 wrote:

to think the sixers wouldn't be better off with wilt than with jojo
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#10 » by trex_8063 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:26 pm

juice4080 wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:

to think the sixers wouldn't be better off with wilt than with jojo

Has ANYONE itt suggested they wouldn't be better with Wilt?
Because I read thru and I see the most conservative estimates being that they'd improve by ~6-8 additional wins (on pace for ~33-35 wins instead of their current pace for 27), with other estimates being that he'd carry that weaksauce cast on his back into the playoffs.

What higher praise could reasonably be given? Philly has probably THE worst backcourt in the entire 30-team NBA; remove Embiid himself, and what remains is probably a bottom 3 frontcourt as well.
Should we be suggesting he makes this supporting cast of Sergio Rodriguez, Robert Covington, Gerald Henderson, Nik Stauskas, Ersan Ilyasova (who sadly is probably the 2nd-best player on the team), Jahlil Okafor, Dario Saric into a contender?

NO ONE contends with that kind of cast (even when the league was only 8 teams).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#11 » by JordansBulls » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:59 am

Wilt doesn't help unless he can hit free throws well.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Jiminy Glick
Assistant Coach
And1: 726

Post#12 » by Jiminy Glick » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:42 pm

I don't know but when Simmons comes back and they trade Okafor and Noel they would be an elite team.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,505

Post#13 » by 70sFan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:54 pm

JordansBulls wrote:Wilt doesn't help unless he can hit free throws well.

Thanks for you analysis, very insightful...

I'm sure Jordan wouldn't help them too because he couldn't shoot threes ;)
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#14 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:12 pm

37 ppg 27 rebounds rookie year for wilt. No minute restrictions all year and back to backs for wilt. Probably could get them top 4 seed in the East. Silly comparison.
Drylick
Pro Prospect
And1: 274

Post#15 » by Drylick » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Wilt would destroy all teams' frontcourt today. That might be enough to land them a good place for a Playoff run. He's like a combination of an Anthony Davis and the strongest guy out there; that combination of freakish athleticism and monstrous strength. Huge upgrade from Embiid.
juice4080
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by juice4080 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:48 pm

you won't find a bigger embiid than me and soon enough i think he'll be the best player in the league (2 years) but his dominance is a product of the lack of dominant bigs in the league today....put him in the 90's and his impact is nowhere near what it is now... now you're comparing him to the greatest athlete in the history of mankind who happens to be a great bball player to booth....sorry but embiid is no match for wilt....not even close
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#17 » by RightToCensor » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Yeah, he's not averaging 37-27 or playing 48 minutes per game in today's league, let's just stop that talk. There can easily be a small rant inserted into this thread about how Wilt's game is easier to guard with modern rules and how his pick and roll defense is likely to be non-existent. You can't realistically project how good a team in 2017 would be by plugging in the best player from the 1960's on the worst supporting cast in the league. Are we just gonna assume that Wilt is gonna magically re-learn the game of basketball and how it's changed from the 60's to now?
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by SkyHookFTW » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:59 pm

RightToCensor wrote:Yeah, he's not averaging 37-27 or playing 48 minutes per game in today's league, let's just stop that talk. There can easily be a small rant inserted into this thread about how Wilt's game is easier to guard with modern rules and how his pick and roll defense is likely to be non-existent. You can't realistically project how good a team in 2017 would be by plugging in the best player from the 1960's on the worst supporting cast in the league. Are we just gonna assume that Wilt is gonna magically re-learn the game of basketball and how it's changed from the 60's to now?

To be fair, he's still gonna beast on the boards and score in the paint. He will still block a crap load of shots. No one will physically overpower him. He would still be the best center in the game today.
juice4080
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by juice4080 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:01 pm

RightToCensor wrote:Yeah, he's not averaging 37-27 or playing 48 minutes per game in today's league, let's just stop that talk. There can easily be a small rant inserted into this thread about how Wilt's game is easier to guard with modern rules and how his pick and roll defense is likely to be non-existent. You can't realistically project how good a team in 2017 would be by plugging in the best player from the 1960's on the worst supporting cast in the league. Are we just gonna assume that Wilt is gonna magically re-learn the game of basketball and how it's changed from the 60's to now?

why not?....are you talking about basketball or rocket science?...what's going in on in today's game that would prevent him from being great?..heck i think he'd be even better today...he'd still be the greatest athlete (yep better athlete than lebron) that's for damn sure
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#20 » by RightToCensor » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:03 pm

I think he would be a force in the league, but he's not leading this Sixers team to the playoffs just off his inside presence when a bunch of things about him would be a mystery.

Return to Player Comparisons