Last time an NBA team had a frontcourt duo as good as Cousins/Davis?

90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Last time an NBA team had a frontcourt duo as good as Cousins/Davis? 

Post#1 » by 90sgoat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:44 am

I'm no fan of Cousins, don't think much of him among the great centers, but of course he is better than decent, definitely good, I don't think great. Davis is a great talent.

D-Rob and Duncan, better than those two I think in 1999.

Who else?

It is going to be very interesting what a team with two high quality bigs look like faced against the current pace and space. Should be able to dominate on the boards on offense and defense. Imagine having to box out Davis only to have Cousins still on the loose or the reverse, that's going to be tough.
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Re: Last time an NBA team had a frontcourt duo as good as Cousins/Davis? 

Post#2 » by RightToCensor » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am

Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace is the best big-man duo I can think of off the top of my head since 99 that doesn't include Timmy and David. I'd say Webber and Divac are behind the Wallace duo, and behind them would be Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom/Andrew Bynum.
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Post#3 » by BasketballFan7 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:05 pm

This is miles ahead of anything since TD/Duncan, and their primes did not coincide. It can be the GOAT if everything breaks their way.
FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning
90sgoat
Bench Warmer

Post#4 » by 90sgoat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:10 pm

RightToCensor wrote:Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace is the best big-man duo I can think of off the top of my head since 99 that doesn't include Timmy and David. I'd say Webber and Divac are behind the Wallace duo, and behind them would be Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom/Andrew Bynum.

Gasol/Bynum was actually very effective in spurts, very effective.

Webber/Divac I forgot about, those two were great too.

Wallace/Wallace is not my favorite.

I will say this, there's no excuse for Cousins now, he **** this up and it's on him. I also say, if we are still going to see Pels guards running high pick and rolls and drive and kick, then someone on the coaching team needs to be fired.
90sgoat
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by 90sgoat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:11 pm

BasketballFan7 wrote:This is miles ahead of anything since TD/Duncan, and their primes did not coincide. It can be the GOAT if everything breaks their way.

I am very cautious about Cousins' mental state.
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Post#6 » by BasketballFan7 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:14 pm

90sgoat wrote:
BasketballFan7 wrote:This is miles ahead of anything since TD/Duncan, and their primes did not coincide. It can be the GOAT if everything breaks their way.

I am very cautious about Cousins' mental state.

Your mental state would be precarious if you played in Sacramento your entire career, too.
FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,746

Post#7 » by eminence » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:16 pm

It's a great looking combo, and it could turn out great (Davis should be able to focus more on defense and become a real DPOY contender to maximize their abilities). But we have seen some great combos even since Duncan/Robinson - Chandler/Dirk, Wallace/Wallace, Bosh/Lebron, Shaq dining alone, etc. Will be interesting to see how they mesh.
I bought a boat.
Jim Naismith
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

History question: Has one team ever had both of the NBA's top-2 big men before? 

Post#8 » by Jim Naismith » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Before the Pelican's Davis and Cousins, have the NBA's top-2 big men ever been teammates?

The pair must be the two best players among all the centers and power forwards for a given season. Thus 2004 Shaq/Malone doesn't count.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#9 » by penbeast0 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:18 pm

And it will be interesting to see if the Pels can retain Cousins.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#10 » by mhd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Dirk/Chandler??

Sure, Tyson was just a finisher on offense, but he was a game changer on defense and a legit DPOY player. Dirk was insane during the playoffs.
Blackfyre
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,498

Re: HIstory question: Has one team ever had both of the NBA's top-2 big men before? 

Post#11 » by Blackfyre » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Nope. '99 Spurs is the closest but Robinson had no argument over O'neal and Alonzo was also considered better that year. Malone was the MVP in '99 but I think after PS Duncan is comfortably ahead of him.
eminence
RealGM

Re: HIstory question: Has one team ever had both of the NBA's top-2 big men before? 

Post#12 » by eminence » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Nope, don't think it's ever happened, and still hasn't for that matter.
I bought a boat.
Blackfyre
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by Blackfyre » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:30 pm

eminence wrote:Nope, don't think it's ever happened, and still hasn't for that matter.

Who do you have over either Davis or Cousins at their position ?
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,466

Post#14 » by Saints14 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:39 pm

I'm sure you're talking about big men tandems, but if you consider KD and LeBron to be "frontcourt" players then I'd put the Warriors (KD/Draymond) and Cavs (LeBron/Love) over NOP.

But yeah, as far as big man tandems go, this has the potential to be the best in a long time. Both players are not only extremely talented but so skilled - can space the floor and do a bit of playmaking - that they should fit very well together and potentially be a potent counter to smallball lineups.
eminence
RealGM

Post#15 » by eminence » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Blackfyre wrote:
eminence wrote:Nope, don't think it's ever happened, and still hasn't for that matter.

The best big in the NBA hails from Saginaw, MI.

Gobert has a decent argument as well. (Shoutout to Jokic/Millsap/Gasol for at least being in the conversation)
I bought a boat.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#16 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:50 pm

eminence wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:

Gobert has a decent argument as well. (Shoutout to Jokic/Millsap/Gasol for at least being in the conversation)

Who?
Blackfyre
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by Blackfyre » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:01 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
eminence wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:Who do you have over either Davis or Cousins at their position ?

Who?

Draymond Green.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#18 » by SlowPaced » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:08 pm

penbeast0 wrote:And it will be interesting to see if the Pels can retain Cousins.

I doubt they have any issues doing it. Cousins is sick of losing and that dude is loyal like a dog. For how much his character seems to get discussed, his loyalty gets really overlooked. Kings have been a dumpsterfire for years, they did nothing but make wrong choices during Cousins era and the dude was still going on about how much he loved Sacto and wanted to retire there.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,519

Post#19 » by NYKnickerbocker » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Blackfyre wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
eminence wrote:

Who?

Draymond Green.
:lol:
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#20 » by RCM88x » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:40 pm

The Lebron and Love duo is arguably better, and that is just this season. LeBron and Bosh, Durant and Ibaka, Dirk and Chandler, Durant and Green, are also recent duos that could be put in that conversation.

In terms of whole frontcourt, the Lebron, Love, Mosgov and Lebron, Love, TT is better than this current Pelicans team, though probably not a good matchup against this duo.

I honestly don't know how well this will work out, only time will tell if its actually able to produce wins and not just highlights and stats.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.

Return to Player Comparisons