Assistant Coach
And1: 499

'07 Kobe Bryant/'17 Anthony Davis vs '17 Russell Westbrook/'07 Kevin Garnett 

Post#1 » by Matt15 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Which duo would you go with?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,760

Re: '07 Kobe Bryant/'17 Anthony Davis vs '17 Russell Westbrook/'07 Kevin Garnett 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Hmm...Kobe is the best player in this discussion for me (I don't see much separation between 06-08 Kobe other than an increased effort defensively in 2008 due to being on a better team), while Westbrook is comfortably the worst defender of the bunch.

Anthony Davis has left a lot to be desired this season, though playing with Kobe would certainly light a fire under his behind.

This was Kevin Garrett's worst season in from 03-08, but he is still a top 5 player in the league and far better defender than anyone in this discussion.

As for Westbrook, special player, though I am not a big fan of his. If he allows KG to operate a lot of the offensive playmaking I expect a very strong offense with that duo, certainly better than ANY combination KG has had with PGs.

I pick Westbrook/KG because of defense, although I slightly worse offense (not by much).
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Re: '07 Kobe Bryant/'17 Anthony Davis vs '17 Russell Westbrook/'07 Kevin Garnett 

Post#3 » by Quotatious » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Westbrook/Garnett for me. Very close, but RW/KG would be just so fun, the incredible intensity and great playmaking.

Based on what I've seen from Westbrook so far this season, I would have him slightly ahead of '07 Kobe. We'll see what Russ does the rest of the way, but as of right now, I would give him the edge over Bryant.

I would have to say that I'm not a fan of using seasons that are only half-over, in these comparisons, though (like '17 Davis and Westbrook).
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Well, before the Kobe stans say anything, Quo and I, as huge Kobe haters, didn't pick the Kobe duo because...Kobe!!!!!!!!!!

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Post#5 » by Quotatious » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Colbinii wrote:Well, before the Kobe stans say anything, Quo and I, as huge Kobe haters, didn't pick the Kobe duo because...Kobe!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody who would say that '07 Kobe is "easily" better than '17 Westbrook (there's usually at least one Kobe stan who says that when Bryant gets compared to this year's Harden or Westbrook), is just not objective at all, there is just zero evidence to say that it isn't close.

Anyway, to lay my cards on the table, I'll say that Kobe is the only one of these players that I don't really like (I'm a fan of AD, Westbrook and Garnett), and I think it's close enough that it's a matter of personal preference. Well, '07 might be my favorite version of Kobe (not necessarily the best, although it's up there, but just the one that I enjoyed watching the most). If it's a toss-up, then I'm simply taking the duo that I would enjoy rooting for more.
CIB24
Junior
And1: 156

Post#6 » by CIB24 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:30 pm

This is a good comparison. In my eyes, Kobe is the better player than Westbrook and Garnett is the better player than AD but both are not that much better than the other. It would really come down to how well each duo gels with one another.

Having said that, there is substantial evidence that Kobe and a versatile big like Gasol (and AD is WAY better) equals championships.

Westbrook and Garnett could have similar success but I'm going to go with what I know, and Kobe in 07 with a big like AD would get to the Finals and possibly win the Title in that era of basketball. In the 3 point crazy and inflated stats era of today they probably still would but it's harder to be as confident.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,290

Post#7 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:43 pm

Colbinii wrote:Hmm...Kobe is the best player in this discussion for me (I don't see much separation between 06-08 Kobe other than an increased effort defensively in 2008 due to being on a better team), while Westbrook is comfortably the worst defender of the bunch.

Anthony Davis has left a lot to be desired this season, though playing with Kobe would certainly light a fire under his behind.

This was Kevin Garrett's worst season in from 03-08, but he is still a top 5 player in the league and far better defender than anyone in this discussion.

As for Westbrook, special player, though I am not a big fan of his. If he allows KG to operate a lot of the offensive playmaking I expect a very strong offense with that duo, certainly better than ANY combination KG has had with PGs.

I pick Westbrook/KG because of defense, although I slightly worse offense (not by much).

I don't think Westbrook is "comfortably" the worst defender here. He and Kobe are clearly the 'worst' two, but I don't think there's much separation between the two.

Also, how has Davis left a lot to be desired this season ?
Colbinii
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: '07 Kobe Bryant/'17 Anthony Davis vs '17 Russell Westbrook/'07 Kevin Garnett 

Post#8 » by Colbinii » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Hmm...Kobe is the best player in this discussion for me (I don't see much separation between 06-08 Kobe other than an increased effort defensively in 2008 due to being on a better team), while Westbrook is comfortably the worst defender of the bunch.

I don't think Westbrook is "comfortably" the worst defender here. He and Kobe are clearly the 'worst' two, but I don't think there's much separation between the two.

Also, how has Davis left a lot to be desired this season ?

Davis has left a lot to be desired in respect to his 2015 campaign and in comparison to the rest of the players in this comparison.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#9 » by JordansBulls » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:58 am

Westbrook and KG
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan

Return to Player Comparisons