Switch Westbrook and Curry, what happens to their respective teams?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Switch Westbrook and Curry, what happens?

Both teams stay the same - GSW champions, OKC bubble playoff team
27%
GSW still champions, OKC become a lottery team
6%
GSW get noticeably worse and don't win it all, OKC get noticeably better but not contenders
36%
Both teams get worse
26%
The truth is somewhere in between
5%

Total votes: 66

Joey Wheeler
Starter
And1: 1,359

Re: Switch Westbrook and Curry, what happens to their respective teams? 

Post#81 » by Joey Wheeler » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:37 pm

clyde21 wrote:Can someone please explain to me how Westbrook carrying the Thunder to the 6th seed in 2017 is more impressive than Curry carrying the Warriors 50+ wins and the 6th seed in 2014?

Since apparently Curry can't carry a team like Westbrook.

Simple, the 2014 Warriors were a far more talented team. I think most people would take Draymond, Klay and even Barnes over any player in the OKC 2017 lineup.

The OKC roster doesn't have any shooters, secondary ball handlers or playmakers. None of the other squad members would get any meaningful minutes in any good playoff team.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#82 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:49 pm

Joey Wheeler wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Can someone please explain to me how Westbrook carrying the Thunder to the 6th seed in 2017 is more impressive than Curry carrying the Warriors 50+ wins and the 6th seed in 2014?

Simple, the 2014 Warriors were a far more talented team. I think most people would take Draymond, Klay and even Barnes over any player in the OKC 2017 lineup.

The OKC roster doesn't have any shooters, secondary ball handlers or playmakers. None of the other squad members would get any meaningful minutes in any good playoff team.

Bull. Revisionist history at its finest.

Those weren't the same players you're seeing today. Barnes and Green were 2nd year bench players, and Klay was a 3rd year player barely averaging 18ppg on a whopping 14 PER.
Scizzup
Veteran
And1: 1,995

Post#83 » by Scizzup » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:52 pm

Joey Wheeler wrote:

Adams > Green 14.
Dipo > Klay 14
Barnes was better on offense compared to Roberson but I think Dre defense makes this a close call.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#84 » by SF_Warriors » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:03 pm

Joey Wheeler wrote:Curry averaged more than 25.5ppg once in his career. He never averaged more than 8.5 assists. He mostly plays about 34-35mpg. There's absolutely no evidence of him being able to carry a massive load on his own.

By swapping them, OKC does gain better shooting and spacing just by having Curry. OTOH, no one in the history of basketball has ever attacked the rim as relentlessly as Westbrook has this season, so that'd be lost. Teams would invite Curry to drive into packed paints as they did Westbrook, but since Curry can't play above the rim that'd not be viable.

Curry's skillset would give his teammates open shot chances, but... Westbrook did it too. People thinking OKC role players can't shoot because Westbrook doesn't get them good looks at the basket have simply not watched the games this season. Westbrook's most impressive achievement in this triple double season was averaging 10 assists while being surrounded by offensively challenged teammates. Guys like Roberson, Oladipo, Christon... are simply not good shooters and there's nothing that can be done about it. The only other positive offensive player in the roster is Kanter, but you can't have him on the floor due to how much of a liability he is.

Russ only had one season of over 25.5 ppg prior to this last one.
Per 36, both steph and westbrook has each had 3 seasons of over 25.5 ppg.

Steph has had significantly less usage each season as well. The one year he had over 30%, he averaged 30ppg (russ each season is consistently over 30%).

I do agree that westbrook has the physical profile that better suits the role of having to be "the man" on a talent stricken team than curry. However, I would argue Curry's skillset can compliment just about any system and set of teammates better than westbrook.
DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Post#85 » by DROB27 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:32 pm

The answer is quite obvious .. both teams would clearly be worst off .
Lol @ anybody saying the 14 warriors weren't more talented then this years Thunder team

Replace Diop with 2014 klay and the thunder are a much better team

Return to Player Comparisons