Ingram Vs Isaac

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Ingram Vs Isaac 

Post#1 » by basketballRob » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:42 am

Who's going to be better?

Both are relatively the same size, Isaacs last measurement was when he was 18, most are speculating he's 7' now. Ingram may have grown some too.

Isaac seems like a better shooter and defender. Ingram might have better handles.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Re: Ingram Vs Isaac 

Post#2 » by nurseryc » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:54 am

Ingram is a poor shooter who had a less than stellar rookie season and is projecting as an average starter in today's NBA. If Isaac has NBA range then I would bank on him
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#3 » by basketballRob » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:18 pm

In Ingram's defense, he was so young last season that I still see him as a potential all-star in the future. I think you have to look at age too when you project players. Ingram was barely 19 last season, most rookies are 20 plus.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#4 » by The-Power » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:08 pm

basketballRob wrote:Isaac seems like a better shooter and defender. Ingram might have better handles.

Ingram definitely has better handles. Quite frankly everything Ingram does and can do on the ball is superior to what Isaac can do or does at this point. Isaac is an off-ball player at this point in time. Shooting is tough to determine. I like Isaac's potential as a spot-up shooter but he's not consistent and doesn't have NBA range yet. Ingram had a fantastic shooting season in college but his FT% compared to Isaac makes me believe that this might have been a fluke.

Isaac's argument over Ingram revolves around defense. Isaac is an energetic rebounder with lots of potential as a help/weak side defender and to switch onto perimeter players. His mindset is great, so I'm confident he embraces that role while being a floor-spacer, rebounder and cutter on offense until he improves his skill set / grows more comfortable in his body. On good teams I could see myself choosing Isaac, whom I really like, over Ingram but Ingram has a higher ceiling, imo.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,864

Post#5 » by Goudelock » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:45 pm

nurseryc wrote:Ingram is a poor shooter who had a less than stellar rookie season and is projecting as an average starter in today's NBA. If Isaac has NBA range then I would bank on him

I'm not singling you out for having this opinion, but I can't understand people who think like this.

Before the draft, everyone was like "Brandon Ingram has a high ceiling, but he's extremely young and raw. He's probably not going to have a big rookie season, and may take a few seasons to develop. Patience is needed"

After rookie season: "Ingram had a terrible rookie season and will probably have a mediocre career based off of what we saw in year one."

The same thing happened to Jaylen Brown to a minor extent. People say that a certain rookie is raw that expectations shouldn't be too high, and then that rookie doesn't set the world on fire and is now proclaimed a bust after he predictably had a tough first season.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,133

Post#6 » by Onus » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:06 pm

The-Power wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Isaac seems like a better shooter and defender. Ingram might have better handles.

Ingram definitely has better handles. Quite frankly everything Ingram does and can do on the ball is superior to what Isaac can do or does at this point. Isaac is an off-ball player at this point in time. Shooting is tough to determine. I like Isaac's potential as a spot-up shooter but he's not consistent and doesn't have NBA range yet. Ingram had a fantastic shooting season in college but his FT% compared to Isaac makes me believe that this might have been a fluke.

Isaac's argument over Ingram revolves around defense. Isaac is an energetic rebounder with lots of potential as a help/weak side defender and to switch onto perimeter players. His mindset is great, so I'm confident he embraces that role while being a floor-spacer, rebounder and cutter on offense until he improves his skill set / grows more comfortable in his body. On good teams I could see myself choosing Isaac, whom I really like, over Ingram but Ingram has a higher ceiling, imo.

I think you nailed it. It depends on what your team needs as Ingram probably has a higher ceiling, but Isaac is more likely to accept being a role player. Isaac's defense is really intriguing to me.

For the Warriors I'd take Isaac.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#7 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:39 pm

Isaac is a better defender and shooting prospect. Ingram in college showed more ability to be a volume scorer, but wasn't so great at that his rookie season, or at anything else. Ingram has a better chance of being a Harrison Barnes/Rudy Gay type player than Isaac, but I don't value that as much as potentially great defense, spacing, etc., so I'll say Isaac
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#8 » by basketballRob » Mon Jul 3, 2017 4:01 pm

So far in SL Isaac looks much bigger than the 6'10" he's listed at, and he has a real knack for rebounding.

Looking for Ingram to have a huge SL this year.
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,537

Post#9 » by Xherdan 23 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 5:34 pm

Only two days ago we had a Giannis/Wiggins thread from 3 years ago bumped and a lot of people looked a bit silly.

This is way too early to make predictions about either of these kids.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,098

Post#10 » by Statlanta » Mon Jul 3, 2017 5:34 pm

I wouldn't compare until Isaac has played an actual NBA game. Ingram may be further along once the season starts and may post better stats.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Post#11 » by Kupchak9 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:26 pm

I think it really depends on your team's need since both players will offer very different skillsets.

My vision of Issac is a great 3rd option on a playoff team. He'll be a Serge Ibaka/Miami Chris Bosh type player. If he lives up to his potential, he'll be a unicorn that has a place on every team.

For Ingram, it really seems like he needs to pan out as a 1st option or bust. But, with Lonzo there I don't see him having the opportunity to iso or handle the ball as much. He'll be reprising his Duke role as a finisher who gets some opportunity to create offense. For him, I see a Joe Johnson type player who in today's NBA will get a lot more love because of his ability to score a lot within the system and make great passes to open guys. A regular 20/5/5 per 36 type player.
JHFVF07
Rookie
And1: 892

Post#12 » by JHFVF07 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:46 pm

It is important to remember that Ingram and Isaac have the same age(1 month difference), and Ingram finish the season (post allstar) with 14/4/3 and 47% fg. I dont know if Isaac would have a better season if he entered the NBA last year.
MEGAQUIB
Junior
And1: 194

Post#13 » by MEGAQUIB » Mon Jul 3, 2017 7:03 pm

I would take Isaac. I feel like he will turn into an excellent 3 and D player. That 2016 class was weak. Outside of Simmons and Thon, I don't see anybody that could be an all star.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,739

Post#14 » by Prez » Mon Jul 3, 2017 10:36 pm

I think Ingram will be a much better shot creator but Isaac the overall higher impact player. Isaac's defensive upside is awesome, the guy is going to give teams nightmares on that end in his prime. I'm a bit skeptical about his offensive star upside, not sure he has the natural feel/aggressiveness to be a dominant offensive player, but I still see a big positive impact player offensively. Who knows though, he's not totally without skill.

This is probably going to look dumb in a few years though, Ingram is the type of guy who could explode in a few years and be a megastar if everything works out for him in terms of strength, jump shot, etc. Ceiling is high for sure.

Return to Player Comparisons