Why do people keep referring to LeBron as the best player in the world after his defense in the finals?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,506

Re: Why do people keep referring to LeBron as the best player in the world after his defense in the finals? 

Post#61 » by 70sFan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:24 pm

PockyCandy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Kiiiing wrote:while LeBron literally played the worst defense I have ever seen in the finals.

You haven't watched much 80s basketball, have you?

The first half of this game features maybe the worst defense I've ever seen in the NBA finals. The Celtics allowed the Lakers to run after every miss like it was an all-star game.

Yeah, I hate when people talk how one era has much better defense than the other. In 1980s we had series like 1987 Finals but also series like 1981 ECF. In 2010s we have series like 2017 Finals but also series like 2013 ECF. It's a matter of teams and players, not eras...
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Re: Why do people keep referring to LeBron as the best player in the world after his defense in the finals? 

Post#62 » by Goudelock » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:33 pm

70sFan wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
You haven't watched much 80s basketball, have you?

The first half of this game features maybe the worst defense I've ever seen in the NBA finals. The Celtics allowed the Lakers to run after every miss like it was an all-star game.

Yeah, I hate when people talk how one era has much better defense than the other. In 1980s we had series like 1987 Finals but also series like 1981 ECF. In 2010s we have series like 2017 Finals but also series like 2013 ECF. It's a matter of teams and players, not eras...

I think that the early 00's have a case for the best defensive era, although I'm not sure how much of that is good defense, and how much of that comes down to very bad offensive schemes.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,515

Post#63 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:19 pm

PockyCandy wrote:
70sFan wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:

I think that the early 00's have a case for the best defensive era, although I'm not sure how much of that is good defense, and how much of that comes down to very bad offensive schemes.

Whats funny is that people even after say the 03 finals were claiming nobody plays defense in the nba.

But yeah, for a stretch we had hand checking and legal zone defense. Nothing like rules to prevent ball handling and post play. I dont know if it was better defense, but the rules were favoring the defender more than ever.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#64 » by loserX » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Who was Durant guarding in the finals?

If it was LeBron, then Durant gave up the first triple-double average in NBA finals history. Ouch.
If it wasn't LeBron, then Durant wasn't given his opponents' hardest cover the way LeBron was.

Durant is an unworldly player...and LeBron is still the best player in the world. Doesn't mean it'll stay that way forever.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#65 » by mademan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:47 pm

loserX wrote:Who was Durant guarding in the finals?

If it was LeBron, then Durant gave up the first triple-double average in NBA finals history. Ouch.
If it wasn't LeBron, then Durant wasn't given his opponents' hardest cover the way LeBron was.

Durant is an unworldly player...and LeBron is still the best player in the world. Doesn't mean it'll stay that way forever.

This. Lebron had arguably his greatest offensive finals series and lead the Cavs to a ridiculous ORTG against the best defensive team in the league. It's not like Durant could guard him either. And Durant was assisted on more of his shots, played less minutes and didnt initiate as much offense as Lebron...so he shoulda been fresher for defense.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#66 » by turk3d » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Because it wan't about Lebron's bad defense. It was his teammates.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#67 » by Dupp » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Durants finals is probably gonna be the most overrated series by a player ever. We didn't even guard him in transition and put old guys on him defensivley. He had it very very easy.

Our attention was firmly on curry and even klay at the arc sometimes. It was stupid yeah.

Curry was much more impressive to me overall.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#68 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Kiiiing wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Simple: if my life depended on a basketball game and I needed to pick one player to lead my team to a win, I'm taking LeBron over anyone else.

Until LeBron is no longer the answer to that quesiton, he's the best in the world.

There's no way in the world am I taking LeBron over Durant, but to each their own.

And I probably don't take LeBron over Leonard at this point, either.

LeBron literally played the worst defense I have ever witnessed in an NBA finals.

kk bro. Maybe because he was responsible for doing this on the offensive end at 32 years old and 7 straight 100+ game seasons.

homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#69 » by homecourtloss » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:18 pm

Kiiiing wrote:
OrlandoTill wrote:The above gifs do not consider the context that LeBron was the primary facilitator and scorer of that team. When you take his rebounding responsibility and consider that he's probably the best man to man defender on the roster that's a lot of weight to bear against the most talented team in years.

So what you're saying is, the best player in the world has no responsibility defensively.

Welcome to the NBA in 2017, I suppose.

And I have never seen a more excused player in my lifetime.

What other player has had to be the primary playmaker, offensive engine, top 2 rebounder, and defensive anchor for a team? At 32 years of age and 50,000 minutes played or whatever?

Nobody. Durant didn't have to be a densive anchor because he has Draymond and Iggy and Klay. LeBron torched everyone anyway. Jordan had Pippen, Grant and later Rodman and Harper. Bird had DJ and McHale and Parrish. Magic and Cooper and Green and Kareem before he got too old. Shaq had defenders, Kobe had defenders, etc.

Who did James have?
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Post#70 » by Soulcatcher33 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:46 pm

This is a troll account from ish. Best to just ignore everything he says.
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#71 » by mischievous » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:20 am

Dupp wrote:Durants finals is probably gonna be the most overrated series by a player ever.

Yeah i've seen some call it an all time great finals performance, which is extremely overrating it.
Kiiiing
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#72 » by Kiiiing » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:27 am

I was banned for saying "you could replace LeBron with a number of players and his super teams would still make the finals every season."

So on that note, sorry if I didn't reply to some of you; i'd like to continue posting and I guess the rumors were true about not being able to criticize or laud certain players on this site.

But I will discontinue the LeBron talk with this; enforcing propaganda is not going to sway real basketabll aficionados.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#73 » by PaulieWal » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:54 am

Kiiiing wrote:I was banned for saying "you could replace LeBron with a number of players and his super teams would still make the finals every season."

So on that note, sorry if I didn't reply to some of you; i'd like to continue posting and I guess the rumors were true about not being able to criticize or laud certain players on this site.

But I will discontinue the LeBron talk with this; enforcing propaganda is not going to sway real basketabll aficionados.

No, you were not warned for any one post in particular but for constant baiting and using a GIF derisively. With that being said this thread has run its course. Oh and consider this a verbal warning for another baiting post.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.

Return to Player Comparisons