Where would you rank Kevin Martin

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Re: Where would you rank Kevin Martin 

Post#21 » by Cruel_Ruin » Tue Nov 3, 2009 7:24 am

thierry wrote:The game before today he had 29 pts 0 rebs 0 asts, so no he isn't nearly a complete player. He can score the hell out of the ball, but after that he won't do much for you.

The game before that one he had 4 assists and the one before that 3. He's not the most complete player but it's not like he give doughnuts in other stats every night.
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#22 » by Joseph17 » Tue Nov 3, 2009 7:31 am

Kobe
Wade
Roy
Martin
Johnson
Carter

4th best sg in the game right now. Scoring wise, he's just as good as Wade imo.
SadKingsFan
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#23 » by SadKingsFan » Tue Nov 3, 2009 7:34 am

joeyyowee wrote:Kobe
Wade
Roy
Martin
Johnson
Carter

Im a big kings homer but no way in the world do i agree with this. When it comes to finishing alone, Wade is HEAD, shoulders, knees and toes above martin.
Joseph17
RealGM

Post#24 » by Joseph17 » Tue Nov 3, 2009 7:36 am

SadKingsFan wrote:
Wade
Roy
Martin
Johnson
Carter

Im a big kings homer but no way in the world do i agree with this. When it comes to finishing alone, Wade is HEAD, shoulders, knees and toes above martin.

Martin is great at finishing with contact. He might not be as good as Wade in that category, but he makes up for it with his shooting ability. He's definitely a better shooter than Wade.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#25 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Tue Nov 3, 2009 7:38 am

SadKingsFan wrote:
Wade
Roy
Martin
Johnson
Carter

Ya but Martin has more range, and WAY more of a consistent jumper.

Wade is a Superstar, future HOF, but when it comes down to strictly offense the difference isn't huge.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,498

Post#26 » by pillwenney » Tue Nov 3, 2009 7:47 am

joeyyowee wrote:Martin is great at finishing with contact. He might not be as good as Wade in that category, but he makes up for it with his shooting ability. He's definitely a better shooter than Wade.

Kevin probably is a bit better off the ball. But Wade is miles upon miles better with the ball. I love Kevin, but if you are at the end of the game and you need to give it to somebody to go get a bucket, it's Wade a billion times out of a billion.
Joseph17
RealGM

Post#27 » by Joseph17 » Tue Nov 3, 2009 8:23 am

mitchweber wrote:
joeyyowee wrote:Martin is great at finishing with contact. He might not be as good as Wade in that category, but he makes up for it with his shooting ability. He's definitely a better shooter than Wade.

Kevin probably is a bit better off the ball. But Wade is miles upon miles better with the ball. I love Kevin, but if you are at the end of the game and you need to give it to somebody to go get a bucket, it's Wade a billion times out of a billion.

I agree. I was actually going to mention that the main difference between Kev and Wade (scoring wise) is that Wade can take over games and Kev can't. If I had to pick a guy to win me the game down the stretch, I'd take Wade easily.
Quiet-Storm
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#28 » by Quiet-Storm » Tue Nov 3, 2009 8:25 am

Kobe
Dwade
Roy
Joe Johnson
Ginobli
Martin
Caron Butler
Andre Iguodala
Ray Allen
Ben Gordon
Richard Hamilton

Thats how I see the lay of the land in the NBA shooting guards
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#29 » by Coxy » Tue Nov 3, 2009 8:46 am

bjax24 wrote:Kevin Martin's game looks more complete this year. His passing and rebounds both are improved, I think he could finally get more respect this season.

:lol:

He had 1 rebound and 1 assist through 3 quarters today. An aweful passer, desicion maker and rebounder.

He's a scoring guard with the stats that do nothing for his team winning. His stats are as empty as Al Jeffersons. Michael Redd all over again with more FT's.
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#30 » by Egg Nog » Tue Nov 3, 2009 9:56 am

I love it when people say "he'd be a great second option" for guys like Kevin Martin. As if every team could/should have a better scorer as well.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,498

Post#31 » by pillwenney » Tue Nov 3, 2009 10:44 am

Coxy wrote:
bjax24 wrote:Kevin Martin's game looks more complete this year. His passing and rebounds both are improved, I think he could finally get more respect this season.

He had 1 rebound and 1 assist through 3 quarters today. An aweful passer, desicion maker and rebounder.

He's a scoring guard with the stats that do nothing for his team winning. His stats are as empty as Al Jeffersons. Michael Redd all over again with more FT's.

What the f**k difference does that make? It's not like the last quarter was garbage time. What does it matter when a player gets his stats as long as they are at a meaningful time in the game?

Egg Nog wrote:I love it when people say "he'd be a great second option" for guys like Kevin Martin. As if every team could/should have a better scorer as well.

It's not that crazy. We saw with the Kings when they had Artest--who was the first option when he was here. The ball was out of Kevin's hand, so he would just fade into the background of games and score with amazing efficiency.
It's not even necessarily being a
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#32 » by farzi » Tue Nov 3, 2009 11:07 am

I think he'd be an ideal complement to a bruising inside scorer
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#33 » by KF10 » Tue Nov 3, 2009 2:24 pm

If Martin played with a contender, he would be claim as the best 2nd option in the league with Gasol like with the Lakers.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#34 » by wiff » Tue Nov 3, 2009 2:26 pm

Egg Nog wrote:I love it when people say "he'd be a great second option" for guys like Kevin Martin. As if every team could/should have a better scorer as well.

Well explain to me how well his team is doing with him as a first option.

The kid is a great scorer but not team in the league with him as the best player on the team is making the playoffs.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#35 » by KF10 » Tue Nov 3, 2009 2:28 pm

mitchweber wrote:
What the f**k difference does that make? It's not like the last quarter was garbage time. What does it matter when a player gets his stats as long as they are at a meaningful time in the game?

Don't listen to him mitch. He is a Warriors fan.

Most of their guys trash the Kings whether or not we play well or not. It's a Nor Cal thing I guess.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#36 » by KF10 » Tue Nov 3, 2009 2:32 pm

wiff wrote:

Well explain to me how well his team is doing with him as a first option.

The kid is a great scorer but not team in the league with him as the best player on the team is making the playoffs.

I think there is a possibility that we will use Martin's best years here. Similar to the Mitch Richmond situation a decade ago. Martin would excel under a wing of a alpha player i.e. Kobe, LeBron and Wade type of players in a championship environment. Again, I think Martin would be at the top as a 2nd option with Gasol.

Martin isn't a true 1st option but that can be argued that he has little help around him. He does not have enough around him to succeed.
bjax24
Veteran
And1: 37

Post#37 » by bjax24 » Tue Nov 3, 2009 3:54 pm

Coxy wrote:

:lol: You discount the 4th quarter and think it's a valid point.

I'd say he had a pretty damn complete stat line at, you know, the END of the game, which is sort of important. I didn't say he was Lebron James, I just said he was improved. But that was a "aweful desicion" to discount the 4th quarter. Next time you decide to "discredit" something someone says... actually have an intelligent counterpoint.
penzias
Senior
And1: 0

Post#38 » by penzias » Tue Nov 3, 2009 3:54 pm

Right behind Michael Redd. So hardly in the top 20 among SGs.
penzias
Senior

Post#39 » by penzias » Tue Nov 3, 2009 4:12 pm

Lets see, SGs i'd take before Martin...
in no particular order (note for Kobetards)

Dwayne Wade
Kobe Bryant
Brandon Roy
Manu Ginobili
Joe Johnson
Vince Carter
Ray Allen (yes, even at 34)
Rip Hamilton
Ben Gordon
OJ Mayo
Tracy Mcgrady (if he ever comes back)
Jason Terry (if you consider him SG)
Gilbert Arenas (see Terry)
Andre Iguodala (see... you got the idea)
Eric Gordon
Michael Redd

And then maybe Martin but with Monta Ellis, Barbosa or JR Smith not far away.
Block Party
Banned User

Post#40 » by Block Party » Tue Nov 3, 2009 4:44 pm

penzias wrote:Lets see, SGs i'd take before Martin...
in no particular order (note for Kobetards)

Dwayne Wade
Kobe Bryant
Brandon Roy
Manu Ginobili
Joe Johnson same level
Vince Carter
Ray Allen
Rip Hamilton now you're baiting
Ben Gordon same level
OJ Mayo same level
Tracy Mcgrady nope
Jason Terry nope
Gilbert Arenas
Andre Iguodala
Eric Gordon nope
Michael Redd good one :lol: :lol: :lol:

And then maybe Martin but with Monta Ellis maybe, Barbosa or JR Smith not far away.

Bolded are my comments. Kevin Martin fits in the top 8-12. To say he's better than some of those listed is a travesty and disrespect to guys who have won (which he hasn't except three years back when the Kings were in the playoffs and it wasn't his team). Keep in mind the Kings haven't won over 30 games in a year since he became their "star". However, there's blame to go around for everyone (players, management, coaching, etc).

As for him going to the line effortlessly, I should warn Kings fans not to complain when Ginobili comes to town because what I watched from Martin is a lot of flopping (same with Ginobili). Will it work in the end game (clutch situations)? Probably not.

Return to Player Comparisons