Derrick Rose vs Brandon Jennings

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Re: Derrick Rose vs Brandon Jennings 

Post#61 » by skones » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:26 pm

Poohdini wrote:^Remember in LeBrons first two years the media was dogging him for not having a Kobe like killer instinct, and LeBron came out to the media saying he likes playing like Magic Johnson rather than MJ/Kobe, but the next year that whole mindset changed once people start saying his greatness would be limited based on his lack of killer instinct at the time. Rose probably will be called out in the media for this, and eventually his mindset will change like LeBrons did.

So are you still going to sit here and say one can't be developed? It's more or so the player realizing that "damn, if I don't go out here and utterly destroy my opponent night end and night out, my team has no shot at winning."

Thats the only thing Rose has to realize, to say he won't develope that line of thinking, is extremely farfetched.

Lebron had shown willingness to take over with his killer instinct in the past. He led his high school team to how many state championships? It was just a matter of playing the same way in the NBA. For a younger guy in a league of grown men, it's only natural to defer to veterans in most cases, even if they're less talented. On the flip side, Rose has NEVER shown this type of willingness to just take over on a consistent basis and systematically dismantle his opponent. He's always deferred to others and he's always been passive. He was passive in high school, he was passive in college, and he's been passive in the NBA.

I stand by players either having it, or they don't. I don't think Rose has it and I don't think he ever will.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#62 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:29 am

skones wrote:
Poohdini wrote:^Remember in LeBrons first two years the media was dogging him for not having a Kobe like killer instinct, and LeBron came out to the media saying he likes playing like Magic Johnson rather than MJ/Kobe, but the next year that whole mindset changed once people start saying his greatness would be limited based on his lack of killer instinct at the time. Rose probably will be called out in the media for this, and eventually his mindset will change like LeBrons did.

So are you still going to sit here and say one can't be developed? It's more or so the player realizing that "damn, if I don't go out here and utterly destroy my opponent night end and night out, my team has no shot at winning."

Thats the only thing Rose has to realize, to say he won't develope that line of thinking, is extremely farfetched.

Lebron had shown willingness to take over with his killer instinct in the past. He led his high school team to how many state championships? It was just a matter of playing the same way in the NBA. For a younger guy in a league of grown men, it's only natural to defer to veterans in most cases, even if they're less talented. On the flip side, Rose has NEVER shown this type of willingness to just take over on a consistent basis and systematically dismantle his opponent. He's always deferred to others and he's always been passive. He was passive in high school, he was passive in college, and he's been passive in the NBA.

I stand by players either having it, or they don't. I don't think Rose has it and I don't think he ever will.

sorry dude, but your talking out of your ass. Rose led his highschool team to back to back championships, and led memphis to the championship game his freshman year. You are completely wrong when you say rose "NEVER" shown willingness to take over a game. Are you serious? you obviously haven't seen many bulls games last year; or the playoffs for that matter. At times he too is passive, so passive that it sometimes really pisses me off, he just needs to get in rhythm again. But to say that he jennings has "it" and rose doesnt, your just a homer; honestly.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,836

Post#63 » by Zeitgeister » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:13 am

skones wrote:

Consistent basis meaning 4 out of what 7 of Jenning's games he's played so far? Jennings hasn't shown anything consistent in that basis either, it's far to early to make that logical leap. Rose was flat out dominant during the tournament in college, where he was demolishing several of the nations best point guards on his way to the title game. Rose played well in the playoffs last year, and showed stretches of taking games over during the regular season.

Rose is more passive, but as great as Jennings has been he hasn't quite proven to be an upper echelon scorer in the NBA, it's too early to claim that he is or isn't that kind of player. Besides, generally speaking, unless a point guard is that kind of scorer he should be differing more often than not because that's the way a point guard can really impact the game more than most players.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
skones
RealGM

Post#64 » by skones » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:16 am

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
sorry dude, but your talking out of your ass. Rose led his highschool team to back to back championships, and led memphis to the championship game his freshman year. You are completely wrong when you say rose "NEVER" shown willingness to take over a game. Are you serious? you obviously haven't seen many bulls games last year; or the playoffs for that matter. At times he too is passive, so passive that it sometimes really pisses me off, he just needs to get in rhythm again. But to say that he jennings has "it" and rose doesnt, your just a homer; honestly.

I'm doing nothing of the sort. Yes Rose led his highschool teams to championships and led memphis to a championship as well, BUT he was never one to take over a game using any type of killer instinct. He was clearly content spreading the wealth. There's a difference between doing it once in a while and just doing it consistently. Take Kobe for example, Kobe always wants to kill the opposing team. ALWAYS.

When I watch Jennings play, he has that type of mentality. Rose just doesn't. At this point in time, anyone who's watched Jennings play over the last 7 games or so would agree, particularly with last night's game. It's not a bad thing to defer to your teammates, many players have been successful in doing so.

I find it funny how you take certain things I say, like how he 'NEVER' does so and so and do your best to completely take it out of context. Note to you: saying, he never has done something on a consistent basis is FAR different than saying he's never done it.
skones
RealGM

Post#65 » by skones » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:19 am

Zeitgeister wrote:
Consistent basis meaning 4 out of what 7 of Jenning's games he's played so far? Jennings hasn't shown anything consistent in that basis either, it's far to early to make that logical leap. Rose was flat out dominant during the tournament in college, where he was demolishing several of the nations best point guards on his way to the title game. Rose played well in the playoffs last year, and showed stretches of taking games over during the regular season.

Rose is more passive, but as great as Jennings has been he hasn't quite proven to be an upper echelon scorer in the NBA, it's too early to claim that he is or isn't that kind of player. Besides, generally speaking, unless a point guard is that kind of scorer he should be differing more often than not because that's the way a point guard can really impact the game more than most players.

I realize it's a small sample, but his on the court demeanor is far different than Rose's. Saying Rose doesn't have a killer instinct does NOT mean he's a bad player. That's the type of conclusion many of you are drawing for some odd reason.

As far as Jennings proving he's an upper echelon scorer, I don't disagree, but that has absolutely nothing to do with having a killer instinct.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#66 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:04 am

skones wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:

I'm doing nothing of the sort. Yes Rose led his highschool teams to championships and led memphis to a championship as well, BUT he was never one to take over a game using any type of killer instinct. He was clearly content spreading the wealth. There's a difference between doing it once in a while and just doing it consistently. Take Kobe for example, Kobe always wants to kill the opposing team. ALWAYS.

When I watch Jennings play, he has that type of mentality. Rose just doesn't. At this point in time, anyone who's watched Jennings play over the last 7 games or so would agree, particularly with last night's game. It's not a bad thing to defer to your teammates, many players have been successful in doing so.

I find it funny how you take certain things I say, like how he 'NEVER' does so and so and do your best to completely take it out of context. Note to you: saying, he never has done something on a consistent basis is FAR different than saying he's never done it.

7 games. whatever. :roll: jennings is good, real good. probably the rookie of the year too. but seriously, what you posted was so far off. Rose does take over games..i dont get why you keep implying
that he was never one to take over a game using some type of killer instinct. when hes on, he knows it, and he takes over games in the 4th quarter plenty of times trust me. even during his crappy first 8-9 games, he has come alive in the 4th quarter. truth is, i get your argument, but you just dont watch him enough to make that type of statement.
skones
RealGM

Post#67 » by skones » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:21 am

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
7 games. whatever. :roll: jennings is good, real good. probably the rookie of the year too. but seriously, what you posted was so far off. Rose does take over games..i dont get why you keep implying
that he was never one to take over a game using some type of killer instinct. when hes on, he knows it, and he takes over games in the 4th quarter plenty of times trust me. even during his crappy first 8-9 games, he has come alive in the 4th quarter. truth is, i get your argument, but you just dont watch him enough to make that type of statement.

Derrick Rose is ridiculously passive and the fact that you keep stating that he takes over games all the time is inaccurate. He may do it from time to time, but normally, he's not that type of player. I guess we'll agree to disagree.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#68 » by BrooklynBulls » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:25 am

He picks spots. He'll pick a 2 minute spot where he'll put up 5 shots, score 8 points, and bam, he's gone again. He doesn't take over games, he doesn't take over quarters, he takes over moments. He thinks he's being unselfish and only scoring when we really need it, but it's in those moments where he actually looks like an NBA-caliber starter. It's bizarre that our staff has not absolutely demanded more from him.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#69 » by Mamba Venom » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:27 am

Early season vs. play-off clutch

Rose
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
RapsVC15
RealGM
And1: 424

Post#70 » by RapsVC15 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:30 am

Rose just doesn't have that superstar/killer mentality that Jennings clearly has.

He'll be a good player, but never the superstar/franchise guy he was hyped to be.

I'll take Jennings without thinking twice.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#71 » by Jimmy76 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:31 am

Ill take Jennings for now but if he doesnt up his passing and ast/to ratio ill go back to Rose

I favored Jennings over Rose for a long time too it wouldnt be a flippant switch Rose has some serious inherent problems in his game that are not likely to be fixed (drawing FT's, good 3pt shooting, court vision/playmaking)

edit: and let it be known id take Lawson over both, a popular opinion i know :wink:
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#72 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:54 am

Haha, Wow, gloom and doom on Rose already. 7 games into his rookie year, he was the greatest PG ever.

Jeez this site is getting crappy with overreactions, I don't even want to see this forum until like midway into a season now, it's ridiculous.

Rose is still the better prospect and player. Jennings is a top level prospect and unfairly dropped, but in term of tools and upside, Rose still is up a notch, and a small stretch isn't changing that, and Rose has had some big stretches too, and had dominant moments in the playoffs as well.

Too early to overreact.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#73 » by Jimmy76 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:06 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Haha, Wow, gloom and doom on Rose already. 7 games into his rookie year, he was the greatest PG ever.

Jeez this site is getting crappy with overreactions, I don't even want to see this forum until like midway into a season now, it's ridiculous.

Rose is still the better prospect and player. Jennings is a top level prospect and unfairly dropped, but in term of tools and upside, Rose still is up a notch, and a small stretch isn't changing that, and Rose has had some big stretches too, and had dominant moments in the playoffs as well.

Too early to overreact.

Ive thought Rose has been overated for some time now as much as everyone pretends he was amazing last year he was an average-below average PG last year who was popular for upside not what he has already accomplished.

His scoring efficeincy will never be that good and his playmaking/distributing will never be elite he isnt as good a prospect as some make him out to be. All star? Probably at least once but a HOFer and franchise player he is not.

That said this turn on him is a bit much he will bounce back and get overhyped again im sure.

Same deal with Jennings too i got excited about the 55 point game as much as everyone else but hes got some serious improvements to make in the passing/turnover department if he wants to be a winning-type star.

Westbrook/Lawson FTW :wink:
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#74 » by eslr » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:55 pm

skones wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:

I don't know if Rose's mentality is necessarily a bad thing, especially from your PG. The mentality that you described of Jennings above could easily be said for AI or Gilbert Arenas, which, IMO, isn't a good thing.
SuigintouEV
General Manager
And1: 1,555

Post#75 » by SuigintouEV » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:25 pm

sample size is too small for jennings. For all we know he turns into annother 42% allen iverson type when the percentages even out. Fact is he's a shoot first guard and there's nothing proven about that.

Gimme Rose
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#76 » by princeofpalace » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:30 pm

eslr wrote:
skones wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:

I don't know if Rose's mentality is necessarily a bad thing, especially from your PG. The mentality that you described of Jennings above could easily be said for AI or Gilbert Arenas, which, IMO, isn't a good thing.

You can also say it about Chauncey Billups, Chris Paul and Deron Williams. Its not a bad thing to want to have your PG have the ability to take over games with his scoring. The great PG's know when to defer and when to step up to the plate, thats sometihng that Rose doesn't have now. But also, its soo early and PG is the hardest position to learn in the NBA.

Return to Player Comparisons