Payton/Shaq or Kobe/Garnett

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Which duo would you rather build a franchise around?

Payton/Shaq
39%
Kobe/Garnett
61%

Total votes: 18

Matt15
Assistant Coach
And1: 499

Payton/Shaq or Kobe/Garnett 

Post#1 » by Matt15 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:26 am

Which duo would you take if you were starting a new franchise and why?
KOBE_PAUER
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Payton/Shaq or Kobe/Garnett 

Post#2 » by KOBE_PAUER » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:54 am

Matt15 wrote:Which duo would you take if you were starting a new franchise and why?

Kobe-Garnett, easily. Kobe is a Top 5 all time shooting guard (and I dont say anymore), and KG is one of the most skilled big men in the history of the game. Shaq dominance would be a huge loss, but Kobe and Garnett would dominate more than Payton/Shaq in my opinion.
BallersTalk
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by BallersTalk » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:18 am

In their primes? Hard to bet against Prime Shaq unless Prime Hakeem was on the other end.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#4 » by Volcano » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:20 am

Kobe/Garnett..you have longevity with both. Kobe's happy as long as he's winning and the number 1 option on offense in a large market. Garnett's pretty loyal sticking it out with that Wolves team as long as he did.
Harison
Starter

Post#5 » by Harison » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:52 am

Both duos are sick, offensively they are very comparable (Kobe/KG slightly more scoring, Shaq gives more efficiency for the first duo), on the other hand defensively Kobe/Garnett are better. KG anchoring, while Kobe is elite defender on his own, of course not as good as Payton, but "Glove" cant anchor and cover centers weaknesses. Imagine if pretty weak defenders like Ray and Pierce looks great defenders now because of KG, how good Kobe would look?

Then we have intangibles, Kobe/Garnett have unparalleled work ethics and drive (as KG once said: there is always someone working harder than you. That someone is me. :lol:) , same cant be said about Shaq. Loyalty is also important, I can trust second duo, how much can you trust first? Maybe Payton, but Shaq is Shaq :wink:
Who would win one-on-one in HORSE?

Bird: Nobody beats me in H-O-R-S-E. Besides, Magic cant shoot.

Magic: Larry, you'd have no chance against me one-on-one. I've got too many ways to beat you. Plus, as slow as I am, I'm still faster than you.

:lol:
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#6 » by Optms » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:58 am

Exactly. Shaqira would run out of town within 4 years to those who choose the duo with him/Payton, so Bryant/Garnett.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,082
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#7 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:07 am

I know I'd like to see how much Kobe/Garnett push their teammates to play harder, and how much harder they work in the weight room and on their game.

I could see Kobe and Garnett getting severe injuries trying to outwork each other after hours. Kobe would have that -_- face on while he grinds away at the weights, and Garnett would be on all fours, barking and yelling at a defenseless white treadmill.

But seriously, Paul Pierce's words on how much harder he began to work to try and keep up with KG shows how infectious it is, and when you have TWO of those guys? That's going to create a lot of synergy and camaraderie on their team.

Still, Shaq/Payton is nasty during their primes, but Kobe/Garnett are ironmen, both playing 40 minutes a night for a long long time at MVP level, with top notch defense for their position, and they mesh almost seemlessly.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#8 » by kooldude » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:17 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I know I'd like to see how much Kobe/Garnett push their teammates to play harder, and how much harder they work in the weight room and on their game.

I could see Kobe and Garnett getting severe injuries trying to outwork each other after hours. Kobe would have that -_- face on while he grinds away at the weights, and Garnett would be on all fours, barking and yelling at a defenseless white treadmill.

But seriously, Paul Pierce's words on how much harder he began to work to try and keep up with KG shows how infectious it is, and when you have TWO of those guys? That's going to create a lot of synergy and camaraderie on their team.

Still, Shaq/Payton is nasty during their primes, but Kobe/Garnett are ironmen, both playing 40 minutes a night for a long long time at MVP level, with top notch defense for their position, and they mesh almost seemlessly.

HAHA. the "white" part really made it :lol:
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

Jordan23Forever wrote:People are delusional.

Return to Player Comparisons