Finals
69%

Total votes: 26

Matt15
Assistant Coach
And1: 499

Give Rockets Prime Hakeem Olajuwon 

Post#1 » by Matt15 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:38 am

Give the Rockets Prime Hakeem. Where do you think they would rank in the West? Overall? How far do they get?

New Line-Up
G-Rafer Alston
G-Trevor Ariza
F-Shane Battier
F-Luis Scola
C-Hakeem Olajuwon
Bench: Hayes, Anderson, Landry, Budinger, Lowry, Taylor, McGrady (inj)
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Re: Give Rockets Prime Hakeem Olajuwon 

Post#2 » by tsherkin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:43 am

Prime Olajuwon was basically a 27/12/3 player who played DPOY defense.

The Rockets are .500 now, though it is still early in the season. If you added that Hakeem to their team, they'd easily be one of the best in the West. They'd still ultimately fall to the Lakers, IMO, and maybe the Nuggets too, but they'd be a top-4 team in their conference.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#3 » by JordansBulls » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:41 am

Matt15 wrote:Give the Rockets Prime Hakeem. Where do you think they would rank in the West? Overall? How far do they get?

New Line-Up
G-Rafer Alston
G-Trevor Ariza
F-Shane Battier
F-Luis Scola
C-Hakeem Olajuwon
Bench: Hayes, Anderson, Landry, Budinger, Lowry, Taylor, McGrady (inj)

Dude Rafer Alston doesn't play for the Rockets.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#4 » by Vindicater » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:47 am

They would win the whole thing.

Who is going to stop them?

Hakeem in his prime is better then any centre in the NBA right now. Scola is almost the perfect complement in the post next to him. Brooks/Battier/Ariza are all guys who can spread the floor and hit the 3. They have energy guys like Landry, Hayes and Lowry coming off the bench.

The Lakers would be a tough matchup but I gotta think that Gasol/Bynum would be in alot of trouble trying to guard Hakeem (who unlike Dwight in the finals last year is a near unstoppable force in the post).
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
John Doe [MIN]
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#5 » by John Doe [MIN] » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:55 am

Cool thread idea. Especially because the current Rockets roster would be perfect for Hakeem.

I think the current Rockets plus prime Hakeem would be better than either of the teams he won championships with, but I don't think they'd win it this season. LA/Boston/Orlando, not to mention LeBron's team, are a lot more imposing than the best teams in '94 and '95.

Hakeem was a very good offensive weapon, but in terms of efficiency his career .553 TS% is a cut below a lot of other modern scorers. Trying to go through a gauntlet of Odom/Gasol/Bynum in the WCF and then Garnett/Wallace/Perkins in the Finals would be tough. He'd get his points, but he wouldn't be enough of an overwhelming offensive force to make up for the talent disparity on the wings. Boy would it be fun to watch though.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,081
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#6 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:45 am

I know one thing, they'd be monstrous defensively. Those scrappy hard workers, coupled with Hakeem as the anchor and disruptor extraordinaire? Wow.

Not sure they'd have enough offense to finish the job though.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Vindicater
General Manager

Post#7 » by Vindicater » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:01 am

John Doe [MN] wrote:Hakeem was a very good offensive weapon, but in terms of efficiency his career .553 TS% is a cut below a lot of other modern scorers. Trying to go through a gauntlet of Odom/Gasol/Bynum in the WCF and then Garnett/Wallace/Perkins in the Finals would be tough. He'd get his points, but he wouldn't be enough of an overwhelming offensive force to make up for the talent disparity on the wings. Boy would it be fun to watch though.

I dont buy this at all. Look at the way the NBA was officiated in 1994 compared to now. The main way to beat Hakeem back then was to beat up on him. Ewing/Shaq/Dikembe all beat up on Hakeem in a way that would see them fouled out in a quarter in todays NBA.

If Hakeem played in the NBA today his TSS% (which I dont buy as a very effective statanyway) would be much higher due to the fact he could use his feet more in todays game without fear of having his head taken off after a spinmove.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#8 » by ronnymac2 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:31 am

As a Laker fan, that would scare me. The Lakers have the best frontcourt in the league, but a prime Dream would score all over us while shutting down one of the bigs. He'd also help snuff out pick-n-rolls.

Houston would be an amazing defensive team, and with an elite all-time offensive anchor like Hakeem, they'd have as good a chance as any other team in the league to win the title.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#9 » by Storm Surge » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:52 pm

They wouldn't be as good as if you gave the Rockets prime t-mac and prime yao, even though both teams would probably win the championship.
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#10 » by kooldude » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:33 pm

haha, the legend of Hakeem continues
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

Jordan23Forever wrote:People are delusional.
Lakers05
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#11 » by Lakers05 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:08 pm

The Rockets will probably end up with 40 wins, the Lakers 70. There is no way Hakeem can add 30 wins, in this era. 65 would be the most generous estimation, with 60 being the most reasonable.
Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#12 » by Storm Surge » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:20 pm

Lakers05 wrote:The Rockets will probably end up with 40 wins, the Lakers 70. There is no way Hakeem can add 30 wins, in this era. 65 would be the most generous estimation, with 60 being the most reasonable.

LMAO at thinking the Lakers will win 70 this season.
Lakers05
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#13 » by Lakers05 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:27 pm

I'd make a bet, but injuries are unpredictable, so no
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#14 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:05 am

They would win around 55 games and be an outside contender for the title.
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#15 » by Baller 24 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:10 am

This Rockets team works hard, but they wouldn't win a title, nor would they be a contender with Hakeem. This team has absolutely zero consistency from the perimeter, they will have good nights, and some times they will have bad nights. You need perimeter scoring to win, and these Rockets don't have that, Hakeem alone doesn't get it done, it's pretty simple if you watch the games.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#16 » by Jimmy76 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:21 am

Baller 24 wrote:This Rockets team works hard, but they wouldn't win a title, nor would they be a contender with Hakeem. This team has absolutely zero consistency from the perimeter, they will have good nights, and some times they will have bad nights. You need perimeter scoring to win, and these Rockets don't have that, Hakeem alone doesn't get it done, it's pretty simple if you watch the games.

its not like Hakeem had amazing perimeter creators with his first ring
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#17 » by Baller 24 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:27 am

Jimmy76 wrote:
its not like Hakeem had amazing perimeter creators with his first ring

I'd rather rely on Kenny Smith, Vernon Maxwell, Sam Cassell, Robert Horry (Young) any day over Aaron Brooks, Trevor Ariza, Kyle Lowry and Shane Battier.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
Vindicater
General Manager

Post#18 » by Vindicater » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:28 am

Baller 24 wrote:This Rockets team works hard, but they wouldn't win a title, nor would they be a contender with Hakeem. This team has absolutely zero consistency from the perimeter, they will have good nights, and some times they will have bad nights. You need perimeter scoring to win, and these Rockets don't have that, Hakeem alone doesn't get it done, it's pretty simple if you watch the games.

You do realise Hakeem run his first ring with Vernon Maxwell, Kenny Smith and Mario Ellie as his main 3 point shooters right? None of those guys was ever known as consistant
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#19 » by Baller 24 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:41 am

Vindicater wrote:
You do realise Hakeem run his first ring with Vernon Maxwell, Kenny Smith and Mario Ellie as his main 3 point shooters right? None of those guys was ever known as consistant

Kenny Smith was a previous 17PPG scorer and a veteran, Vernon Maxwell was also a previous 17PPG scorer, and Mario Ellie outputs more offensively than that of Shane Battier will any night of the week. Watch these Rockets, Trevor Ariza is the player that takes the most shot attempts on the team and off the perimeter, and he shoots a lousy 39%, including 7 threes a game, someone that atrocious should not be top 15 in the league in shot attempts. This team would get to the playoffs, might make a small amount of noise, but it's not a contender, nor is it coming anywhere close to a championship. I'd say hell no, especially with how inexperienced this squad really is.
YLSKillaCam
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#20 » by YLSKillaCam » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:14 am

They'd be really good in the regular season: 52-55 wins. Hakeem would be on the shortlist for MVP. I think Hakeem could power them to the WCF, but there's no way they'd beat the Lakers because the BYNUM/PAU combination is simply better than Hakeem individually and you still have Kobe, Artest, Odom and coach Jackson.

I'd like to see them versus the Spurs once they get the kinks worked out later this season. That would be the matchup that would be worth the price of admission.

Return to Player Comparisons