Add prime-era Jordan to one of the bottom feeders

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

My Main Man
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,492

Add prime-era Jordan to one of the bottom feeders 

Post#1 » by My Main Man » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:43 am

Simple question: If you added prime-era (late-80s/early-90s) Jordan to any of the worst teams in the league, which team do you like the best? Obviously, adding MJ means your team makes the playoffs as the absolute worst case scenario, but do any of these teams become champions?

Nets:
Quick take: Jordan makes Lopez look like David Robinson.
PG: Harris
SG: Jordan
SF: Douglas-Roberts
PF: Jianlian
C: Lopez

Wolves:
Quick take: Jordan makes Love/Jefferson the best front court in the NBA.
PG: Flynn
SF: Brewer
PF: Love
C: Jefferson

Pacers:
Quick take: Jordan makes Granger 'Pippen 2k10'.
PG: Watson
SF: Granger
PF: Murphy
C: Hibbert

76ers:
Quick take: I think this would be the worst fit, IMO. I just can't see Iverson and Jordan co-existing. The potential would be amazing though, especially if Iverson was in his prime.
PG: Iverson?
SF: Igoudala
PF: Brand/Young
C: Dalembert
Harison
Starter
And1: 0

Re: Add prime-era Jordan to one of the bottom feeders 

Post#2 » by Harison » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:46 am

I like Wolves, with prime MJ strong contender.
Who would win one-on-one in HORSE?

Bird: Nobody beats me in H-O-R-S-E. Besides, Magic cant shoot.

Magic: Larry, you'd have no chance against me one-on-one. I've got too many ways to beat you. Plus, as slow as I am, I'm still faster than you.

:lol:
astrallite
Starter
And1: 13

Post#3 » by astrallite » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:47 am

Brook Lopez has nobody to compete against for rebounds anyway, he isn't going to get any tougher and suddenly grab 4-5 more rebounds a game.

As far as the Timberwolves, they have no outside shooting. If they were in the East they could play up-tempo like the pre-Crawford Hawks but they aren't going to make the playoffs in the west; everybody is gonna zone the Wolves.

Now Indiana has a legit chance of making the second round with Jordan.
D-31
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#4 » by D-31 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:50 am

Champions????????????????????????????????????

MJ couldn't win without Pip. Miss the playoffs/first round sweep most likely.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#5 » by JordansBulls » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:32 pm

My Main Man wrote:Simple question: If you added prime-era (late-80s/early-90s) Jordan to any of the worst teams in the league, which team do you like the best? Obviously, adding MJ means your team makes the playoffs as the absolute worst case scenario, but do any of these teams become champions?

Nets:
Quick take: Jordan makes Lopez look like David Robinson.
PG: Harris
SF: Douglas-Roberts
PF: Jianlian
C: Lopez

Wolves:
Quick take: Jordan makes Love/Jefferson the best front court in the NBA.
PG: Flynn
SF: Brewer
PF: Love
C: Jefferson

Pacers:
Quick take: Jordan makes Granger 'Pippen 2k10'.
PG: Watson
SF: Granger
PF: Murphy
C: Hibbert

76ers:
Quick take: I think this would be the worst fit, IMO. I just can't see Iverson and Jordan co-existing. The potential would be amazing though, especially if Iverson was in his prime.

Pacers would represent the Bulls teams in the 90's more so.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
yongaz
Starter
And1: 150

Post#6 » by yongaz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:06 pm

As I've said in the Jordan on Nets thread, I believe MJ is the GOAT bla bla bla (it seems like if I don't make this disclaimer us Laker fans are automatically labelled as haters or Kobe jockriders so I thought I'd get that out of the way).

Anyway I think that all things (player attitudes, skills etc) unchanged, MJ is worth an automatic 20 to wins by himself and then another 10 IF his teammates buys into his mentality and hence improve / play their best. But it's also quite possible that they don't and totally hate his guts. Don't say he wasn't a pr**k, because he was. So is Kobe... so are all the great ones. That's what makes them great. Well except Magic maybe :P.

So best scenario gives them a 30 win increase which makes the Pacers and 76ers 55 win teams at their current pace. To me that makes them contenders, but not elite (i.e. not Laker, Celtics, Cavs, Magic level). Probably right where Dallas and Denver are. I'd pick Pacers of 76ers.

As for the Nets and Wolves, I'm thinking 2nd round at best. I actually think Nets will be better than the Wolves.
netsforever
Veteran
And1: 26

Post#7 » by netsforever » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:18 pm

One thing about the Nets scenario:

Harris and Jordan wouldn't work well together.

Think about the PGs MJ played with... Ron Harper, Steve Kerr, John Paxson... all guys who didn't need the ball to operate, and had some range.

Harris isn't a great perimeter shooter, and pretty much demands the ball to be effective...

So that Nets squad would probably be a step back from the rest of the teams..
Kosar86
Assistant Coach
And1: 33

Post#8 » by Kosar86 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:22 pm

1 player simply cannot make a 20-30 win team into a true contender.

Lopez look like david robinson? You mean he will make an awful defender into the defensive player of the year?

Actually, lopez's numbers would go down since he would get less shots...he'd be down to a 15 & 9 guy and still shooting under 50%.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,467

Post#9 » by youngcrev » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:54 pm

My Main Man wrote:Quick take: I think this would be the worst fit, IMO. I just can't see Iverson and Jordan co-existing. The potential would be amazing though, especially if Iverson was in his prime.

Iverson's a considerably different player now than he used to be. Iverson of old wouldn't of been a good fit next to Jordan because you'd have two alpha males, but dude is only taking 11 shots a game right now for the Sixers, and I think he'd be completely comfortable taking less shots if MJ was on the team.

BTW, isn't Iguodala a little more Pippen-like than Granger?

Only problem for the Sixers would that Eddie Jordan would find some way to screw it up and not even make the playoffs.

Return to Player Comparisons