Jordan & Dominique - Dunk Contest Material Now?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Quincy
Bench Warmer
And1: 5

Jordan & Dominique - Dunk Contest Material Now? 

Post#1 » by Quincy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:59 am

Could they really hang in a competition with the likes of Vince Carter, Dwight Howard, Jason Richardson, Andre Iguodala, Tracy McGrady, Steve Francis and Desmond Mason? All of these guys had outstanding performances this decade. No gimmicks with the exception of Howard. These guys were doing CRAZY stuff that no one in the 80's came close to. Could Doc, Nance, Spud, Stansbury, Jordan, Nique, Clyde, etc. really hang?The things they were getting 50's on would be low 40's I'm thinking these days.

The reason I didn't include Josh Smith is because, while he was great, he basically copied some of Vince and 'Nique blatantly. He also resorted to "buying" a 50 with Wilkins' jersey. Nate Robinson had great dunks but some of them had WAY too many attempts. The above 7 in the first paragraph had stricter sets of rules.

I'm kinda thinking the 7 I named from this decade would smoke anyone not named Spud from the 80's. Or would the 80's adopt the advanced criteria and perform modern dunks. Cause that "bail-out" free throw line dunk(MJ :wink: ) ain't cuttin' it now.
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Re: Jordan & Dominique - Dunk Contest Material Now? 

Post#2 » by kooldude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:00 am

Vince and Jrich would be their only challenges.

But if you combine Nate's best dunks, he has a slight chance.
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

Jordan23Forever wrote:People are delusional.
Quincy
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by Quincy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:19 am

Please......

Nothing they ever did came close to McGrady in 2000, Dwight in 2008, or Iguodala in 06.
Jordan23Forever
General Manager
And1: 54

Post#4 » by Jordan23Forever » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:49 am

Do you have no concept of how creativity evolves? Guys who were on the cutting edge then would be on the cutting edge now and vice versa. You really think MJ would be doing the same exact dunks today that he did 22 years ago? :lol:
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#5 » by Patterns » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:56 am

Jordan23Forever wrote:Do you have no concept of how creativity evolves? Guys who were on the cutting edge then would be on the cutting edge now and vice versa. You really think MJ would be doing the same exact dunks today that he did 22 years ago? :lol:

Windows Dos and a 50Mhz CPU was on the cutting edge then. Is it still cutting edge now?
Mayap
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Mayap » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:58 am

Quincy wrote:Please......

Nothing they ever did came close to McGrady in 2000, Dwight in 2008, or Iguodala in 06.

Huh? You mean vince?
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 972

Post#7 » by CellarDoor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:00 am

Patterns wrote:
Jordan23Forever wrote:Do you have no concept of how creativity evolves? Guys who were on the cutting edge then would be on the cutting edge now and vice versa. You really think MJ would be doing the same exact dunks today that he did 22 years ago? :lol:

Windows Dos and a 50Mhz CPU was on the cutting edge then. Is it still cutting edge now?

A better comparison would be

Windows Dos was cutting edge, is Windows on the cutting edge now?

Answer is at least debatable. Same thing here. If they had a chance to see how dunks evolve I'd be willing to give people with similar athletic gifts a chance.

Kobe, Nique, Jordan, VC, TMAC and JRich would be fantastic to watch.
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
Jordan23Forever
General Manager
And1: 54

Post#8 » by Jordan23Forever » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:32 am

Patterns wrote:

Again, you betray a galling lack of understanding of how the creativity of the game evolves naturally. If guys like MJ/Nique came up today, they wouldn't be doing the same exact dunks they did back then. You're ignorant if you think they would be. The culture and creativity of the game evolves and changes, and those two were responsible for a seismic shift in the game's creativity/flair. To suggest that their athletic and creative gifts would be any less potent today is ridiculous.
Collie
Bench Warmer
And1: 392

Post#9 » by Collie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:35 am

Patterns wrote:

Bad analogy. a single piece of technology is static and doesn't evolve. Better versions can be created, improved upon (DOS to Windows 7 for example) but that particular piece will always be what it is. And to say that someone like MJ or Nique is as far off from Tmac in terms of creativity and athleticism as DOS is to 7 is laughable. Individual people can change the way they do things. If Einstein is living today, I'm pretty sure he'd still be a genius.
Shot Clock
RealGM
And1: 17,443

Post#10 » by Shot Clock » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:13 am

I bet that if MJ was given as many attempts to make a dunk as they get today, he'd have been a little more creative as well. Most of these guys wouldn't have made it out of the first round back then.
anyone involved in that meddling to justice”. NO COLLUSION

- DJT
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#11 » by kooldude » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:21 pm

I actually think Nique's dunks back then, can win now. I can't explain it but his body movement on the dunks just hasn't been matched since even though the same dunks have been performed several times.
Warspite wrote:I still would take Mitch (Richmond) over just about any SG playing today. His peak is better than 2011 Kobe and with 90s rules hes better than Wade.

Jordan23Forever wrote:People are delusional.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#12 » by pancakes3 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:43 pm

i can't believe the modernists are now actually attacking the mental proficiency of past players.

for the record though, i don't think anyone from any era could beat 2000 Vince in a dunk contest. the honeydip (where he gets his elbow into the rim) is just insane.
Bullets -> Wizards
Quincy
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by Quincy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Mayap wrote:
Quincy wrote:Please......

Nothing they ever did came close to McGrady in 2000

Huh? You mean vince?

He had already named Vince and J-Rich. I named the next best 3.

McGrady was phenomenal in 2000 with the exception of missing one dunk. It's not like he had a real chance of winning though. Every time Vince did something the "building erupted". In 2000 you only got one dunk attempt, if you missed it you couldn't redo it. Remember that.

That's why 2000 is probably the best "collective" performance. Vince, McGrady, Francis all showed up. Only bad thing was Larry Hughes(needless to say missed every dunk he attempted). Even Ricky Davis was doing something(he just couldn't get a applause from the crowd).

Bottom line: Besides maybe Iguodala in '06 or J-Rich in '04, McGrady had the single best runner up performance.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,676

Post#14 » by penbeast0 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:25 pm

With modern technology and training, it's obvious that "Jumpin Jim" Pollard of the 1950 Lakers would smoke everyone in the contest.

Couldn't help myself, sorry.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.

Return to Player Comparisons