Top 10 Clutch Players in the league today!!!

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

berserker
Rookie
And1: 25

Re: Top 10 Clutch Players in the league today!!! 

Post#41 » by berserker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 am

I debated Roy/Joe Johnson....either could have fit in that slot. If I had to choose #11, it would have been Brandon Roy....
glowsticks
Starter
And1: 11

Post#42 » by glowsticks » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:38 am

2 words. Randy. Foye.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#43 » by JordansBulls » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:52 am

guess_wh0 wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/350631-the-10-clutchest-players-in-the-nba-today#page/2

1) Kobe
2) Dirk
3) Melo
4) Wade
5) Lebron
6) Ray Ray
7) VC
8) Roy
9) Fisher
10) Joe Johnson

Agree?

Bleacherreport is basically pro LA on everything.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
delonte
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#44 » by delonte » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:08 am

Numbers dont lie.

Bron
Wade
Melo
Kobe
CP3
Dirk
Roy
Nash
Pierce.
Ray
bl2k
Veteran
And1: 13

Post#45 » by bl2k » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:12 am

delonte wrote:Numbers dont lie.

Bron
Wade
Melo
Kobe
CP3
Dirk
Roy
Nash
Pierce.
Ray

:lol: you use numbers I'll take video evidence
richboy wrote:

I could never say that about KG. Even though he is a great player. In some way even in his prime he is Joakim Noah with a jump shot and a little better post game. Outside of that they have the exact same skill set.
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#46 » by whatchaknow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:17 am

1. Kobe- no brainer imo

2. Wade- seen him take way too many games over have him any lower than this

3. Melo- debated putting him #2. As berserker said "absolutely clutch".

4. Dirk- Difference between the other 3 is that he cant take over on the defensive end. Still clutch as hell.

5. James- has passed up too many shots to be up by the rest. Still hard to say you want anyone else with the ball and the game on the line... hes that good.

6. Roy- Could be having the worst shooting day of his life but will make every shot you need down the stretch. Like Dirk not good enough on D to move ahead of others.

7. CP3- Will make the right play every time whether its a shot or pass. Hornets close games record shows the whole story. Size makes it tough for him to get good looks at the bucket or guard the other teams best player.

8. Pierce- Can still lockdown anybody in the league for one or two possesions and will hit daggers all the time. Cant stand the guy but he is a big time clutch player.

9. Billups- Seen him put ends to games by hitting dagger 3 pointers all the time. Wont have as many game winners cuz you want Melo taking those shots but almost any other team would want him shooting with the game on the line.

10. Johnson- Clutch playmaker down the stretch of games and solid defender not afraid to take the best player.
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#47 » by Paydro70 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:18 am

People don't make videos of buzzer-beaters that miss, or shooting 1-3 to close a game.

I will always remember this shot from Paul in college: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8Zk1mSXOY
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach
And1: 477

Post#48 » by Bobbcats » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:35 am

two things about CP that don't show up in the stats, though his clutch stats speak for themselves.

He is the best at running time off the clock, they hold on to leads down the stretch because he is so good at starting his move with 5 seconds on the shot clock and making a play.

His on the ball defense. He doesn't have the energy to do it all game, but in crunch time he is like glue. His lack of height is more than made up for by the combination lateral quickness and reaction speed. He makes the opposing ball-handlers work very hard. This is a big part of why the Hornets crunch time defense is so much better.

as far as size making it difficult for him to get good looks, I haven't seen that. Maybe if there's 1 second on the clock on an inbound play it's easy to get in his face, but if they have time, he gets the shot he or his teammates want.

If he was in a bigger market he'd definitely be in the argument for clutchest.
whatchaknow
Analyst

Post#49 » by whatchaknow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:58 am

Bobbcats wrote:two things about CP that don't show up in the stats, though his clutch stats speak for themselves.

He is the best at running time off the clock, they hold on to leads down the stretch because he is so good at starting his move with 5 seconds on the shot clock and making a play.

His on the ball defense. He doesn't have the energy to do it all game, but in crunch time he is like glue. His lack of height is more than made up for by the combination lateral quickness and reaction speed. He makes the opposing ball-handlers work very hard. This is a big part of why the Hornets crunch time defense is so much better.

as far as size making it difficult for him to get good looks, I haven't seen that. Maybe if there's 1 second on the clock on an inbound play it's easy to get in his face, but if they have time, he gets the shot he or his teammates want.

If he was in a bigger market he'd definitely be in the argument for clutchest.

Yeah i just meant "at times" it will make it difficult where as Kobe, Wade, etc can all get shots off whenever. A couple other arguments you could make for Paul is that he hits some of the most difficult shots ive ever seen so him not getting perfect looks isnt necessarily a bad thing. Also he is probably the most lights out FT shooter in the league right now with the game on the line, props here also to Nash. He will absolutely not miss clutch FTs.
BJ43
Banned User
And1: 33

Post#50 » by BJ43 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 am

PippenAintEasy wrote:No love for Ben Gordon?

+3
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 380

Post#51 » by CzBoobie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:31 pm

Anyone who has LeBron any lower than 3rd is clueless...
maxwellcu
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#52 » by maxwellcu » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:36 pm

CzBron wrote:Anyone who has LeBron any lower than 3rd is clueless...

Almost as clueless as anyone who thinks he is more clutch than Melo.
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 380

Post#53 » by CzBoobie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:42 pm

Apart from hitting more regular season buzzer beaters Melo hasn't done anything to consider him more clutch than LeBron. As I maintain, clutch =/= buzzer beaters only.

Only one guy with serious case over LeBron is Kobe and even that could be debatable.
Paydro70
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#54 » by Paydro70 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Clutchness doesn't really exist anyway.
berserker
Rookie
And1: 25

Post#55 » by berserker » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Is Carmelo Anthony the most clutch player in the league? Statistically speaking, yes. 'Melo's 20-foot jump shot to beat the Cavs last week was his 12th career game-winner that came in the final seven seconds. Anthony is 13-of-27 (48.1 percent) in attempts to tie or take the lead in the final 10 seconds of a game, the highest percentage since he entered the NBA in 2003.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... z0ga3wOyZ0
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#56 » by farzi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:02 pm

Brandon Roy absolutely HAS to be on this list
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#57 » by Jimmy76 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:04 pm

farzi wrote:Brandon Roy absolutely HAS to be on this list

+1

him and Paul are underrated in the clutch

still one of my favorite games/moments ever is when Roy hit that long ass 3 against the rockets

time slowed down and I thought no **** way this goes in and somehow it drops
whatchaknow
Analyst

Post#58 » by whatchaknow » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:07 am

Jimmy76 wrote:
farzi wrote:Brandon Roy absolutely HAS to be on this list

+1

him and Paul are underrated in the clutch

still one of my favorite games/moments ever is when Roy hit that long ass 3 against the rockets

time slowed down and I thought no **** way this goes in and somehow it drops

That whole 8 second sequence was just nuts when Roy hit the go ahead shot, then fouled Yao on an and-1 to put Houston up 1, and Roy avenged himself with that crazy shot. One of my favorite moments of last years Blazer team, too bad Houston got revenge in the playoffs :(

Return to Player Comparisons