New Franchise: Havlicek/Russell or Kobe/Shaq

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Which duo would you rather build a franchise around?

Havlicek/Russell
42%
Kobe/Shaq
58%

Total votes: 31

Matt15
Assistant Coach
And1: 499

New Franchise: Havlicek/Russell or Kobe/Shaq 

Post#1 » by Matt15 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:56 am

Which duo would you rather build a franchise around and why?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Re: New Franchise: Havlicek/Russell or Kobe/Shaq 

Post#2 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:01 am

Like if they were all rookies?
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#3 » by J~Rush » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:19 am

Would Kobe/Shaq be in Minnesota or in New York/ LA
e
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#4 » by ThaRegul8r » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:15 am

Havlicek/Russell. I already know they can play together with ZERO problem, and won't prematurely end a dynasty due to egoistic clashing.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#5 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:20 am

As ThaRegular mentioned - Kobe and Shaq have an expiry date. Give me Hondo Russell
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#6 » by ponder276 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:24 am

Do they get to play in their respective eras, or are they all rookies entering the league today?
ImmortalD24
Assistant Coach
And1: 281

Post#7 » by ImmortalD24 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:01 am

Kobe & Shaq.

Remember people, they most likely would've co-existed a lot longer & better if it wasn't for the modern day media.. and despite their feud they've made it to the finals 4 times winning in a 3-peat in the 5 years Kobe became a full-time starter.
NYK 455
General Manager
And1: 161

Post#8 » by NYK 455 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:21 pm

Kobe/Shaq with ease.
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#9 » by USA » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:25 pm

NYK 455 wrote:Kobe/Shaq with ease.

Probably the first and only time I will agree with you.
NYK 455
General Manager
And1: 161

Post#10 » by NYK 455 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:28 pm

USA wrote:
NYK 455 wrote:Kobe/Shaq with ease.

Probably the first and only time I will agree with you.

:)
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach

Post#11 » by ThaRegul8r » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:34 pm

ImmortalD24 wrote:Kobe & Shaq.

Remember people, they most likely would've co-existed a lot longer & better if it wasn't for the modern day media.

So it wasn't due to either one of them, it was the media. :roll:
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,266

Post#12 » by prolific passer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:52 pm

Have to take Hondo and Russell because they are much better defensively, more team oriented, and dont get into fights over who wants to be the man on the team.
ImmortalD24
Assistant Coach
And1: 281

Post#13 » by ImmortalD24 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:53 pm

ThaRegul8r wrote:

Remember people, they most likely would've co-existed a lot longer & better if it wasn't for the modern day media.

Read what I said, I didn't say that.

Are you denying the fact that the modern day media tends to exacerbate problems?
mavs4life123
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#14 » by mavs4life123 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:07 pm

people have to understand that during SHAQ's prime there was no one in NBA history that could have guarded him. He is the most dominating player in NBA history.
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach

Post#15 » by ThaRegul8r » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 pm

ImmortalD24 wrote:
ThaRegul8r wrote:

Read what I said, I didn't say that.

Are you denying the fact that the modern day media tends to exacerbate problems?

If there wasn't an existing problem, there'd be nothing to cover. That there was in fact a problem between them, I would rather choose the duo that can play together without any. If two players are unable to play together and actually need to be split up, then they are of no use to me.

writerman
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#16 » by writerman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:19 am

If you want more size and strength and better overall scoring, you go with Kobe/Shaq (though that's overall--in today's shoes there would be little difference in size between Kobe and Hondo, and any strength difference would be insignificant)

If you want better defense and overall athleticism, you go with Russell/Havlicek. (the Kobe fans in particular will go **** over than, but nonetheless it's true...Kobe's a fine player, but not in Hondo's class as an overall athlete...ditto Shaq vs Russell)
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#17 » by Laimbeer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:06 am

Russ / Hondo pretty easily. The consummate winner with the consummate professional as his sidekick. We know what they can do together. As far as Shaq and Kobe are concerned, I saw the movie and it doesn't end well.
ElGee
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,202

Post#18 » by ElGee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:13 am

writerman wrote:If you want more size and strength and better overall scoring, you go with Kobe/Shaq (though that's overall--in today's shoes there would be little difference in size between Kobe and Hondo, and any strength difference would be insignificant)

If you want better defense and overall athleticism, you go with Russell/Havlicek. (the Kobe fans in particular will go **** over than, but nonetheless it's true...Kobe's a fine player, but not in Hondo's class as an overall athlete...ditto Shaq vs Russell)

Hmm - I know you are partial to the old-timers, but how were Russell and Hondo better athletes than Kobe and Shaq (before Shaq ate another person)??

ThaRegul8r covered this, but I'd take Shaq and Kobe on talent if it weren't for the whole ego thing.
Check out and discuss my book, now on Kindle! http://www.backpicks.com/thinking-basketball/
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#19 » by Laimbeer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:23 am

^^

Russ was a far superior athlete to Shaq. Quicker, faster, more agile. I would question if Hondo was a better athlete then Kobe.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,879

Post#20 » by ronnymac2 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:33 am

^^^^^Wow. Far superior athlete? Haha That's as hilarious as when you grouped Isiah with Shaq, Hakeem, and Kobe in that other thread.

i can buy Russ being a better overall athlete by a little bit. Russ could leap more quickly, could probably leap as high or higher, had better end-to-end speed, had better lateral quickness, and had better quickness in general. Shaq is taller, longer, wider, and stronger (upper, lower, and core strength). Russell is a better athlete outside of basketbal. In basketball, Shaq's package (because young Shaq could also run the floor, had a 36 inch vertical, and was extremely agile) can be argued as more useful.

I'm happy the other people in this thread are taking Russell and Hondo. This way if I get the second pick, I'll take Shaq and Kobe, and I'll tell them why everybody didn't pick them. That should piss them off enough to pull a bunch of 2001 playoffs.

I've always thought that if Shaq and Kobe grew together as rookies as opposed to Kobe slowly maturing into a star while Shaq was in his prime, they would have been even better. Not only because they'd have more longevity and their primes would coincide, but because I don't think they'd have as many problems. They'd both be learning at the same time. They'd be growing together. It wouldn't be the veteran star (Shaq) on a veteran team (00 Lakers) with the young guy (Kobe)-it'd be the 2 young guys (Shaq and Kobe) with either a young team they could grow with or an older team that could show them the ropes. The owner would never have to pick one to build around because the other is getting older (BTW, Buss made the correct choice in 04 by picking the younger guy, Kobe...and I'm a Shaq fan).

I'm taking Shaq and Kobe. Shaq and Russell are equal, but Kobe is better than Hondo. Maybe Hondo is a better athlete. I'm not sure. But Kobe is clearly the superior basketball player. That's all I care about. Plus, I'd rather have the offensive duo (plus, it's the dynamic big-small relationship on offense) who can also anchor a great defense, against the the great defensive duo, who while excellent on offense overall, aren't dominant on offense. Unstoppable offense beats defense.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river

Return to Player Comparisons