ImageImage

Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Hawks)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Hawks) 

Post#581 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 9, 2015 10:04 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CVivlamoreAJC/status/663801346265477120[/tweet]

Glad to see Millsap get a nomination this early.

But Drummond has been unreal thus far. That young man is only scratching the surface.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#582 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:15 pm

Interesting twist going on with MIA.

In this early part of the season Heat are one of the dominant defensive teams in the NBA. Through games played 11/12 they are top 2 in the league in Points Allowed and Def Efficiency.

Word is their perimieter defense has been much better than anyone imagined thanks to the combo of Justise Winslow (man, I love this kid's game) and Tyler Johnson as well as H Whiteside anchoring the defense.

LeBatard believes Heat might actually dangle Luol Deng's expiring contract in exchange for a shooter on offense.

I most certainly didn't see MIA's defense and depth being catalysts for their team this early in the season.

With WAS's recent struggles and Beal's injury, could MIA be the Hawks biggest challenger within the division?!?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#583 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:38 pm

Free Agent Watch:

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Evan Fournier admitted he occasionally looks ahead towards his restricted free agency.

Said Fournier, "That's what really motivates me, being great. I don't want to be a mediocre player or average.

I know if I have a very good season, the money is gonna follow."

While Fournier will be a restricted free agent, the Orlando Magic must also consider the fact Victor Oladipo is eligible for an extension next summer. There may not be enough money to go around for the franchise.

Fournier would like to remain with the Magic.

"I'm very happy to be here. I'd love to stay," he said. Via Brian Schmitz/Orlando Sentinel
Here

I'd love to get this kid in a Hawks jersey: Improve our wing rotation and weaken a division rival in the process. He'd be a great fit in our system, too.

Whatever you do, though. Don't ever GOOGLE his last name...bad things happen. :lol:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#584 » by HMFFL » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:47 pm

Brooklyn is starting to get fed up with losing.
They fired their coach today and Billy King has stepped down as GM.

Thank you Billy King for helping us unload Joe Johnsons contract.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#585 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:43 pm

HMFFL wrote:Brooklyn is starting to get fed up with losing.
They fired their coach today and Billy King has stepped down as GM.

Thank you Billy King for helping us unload Joe Johnsons contract.

Man, the strategy in BRK has just been terrible. And I always got the feeling it was the owner's mandate to prioritize the short term at the expense of the future.

Trading Derrick Favors for Deron Williams = Fail

Trading the lottery draft pick that led to Damian Lillard for an expiring Gerald Wallace = Fail

Signing Gerald Wallace to a huge contract extension = Fail

Trading multiple future picks for the corpses of Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett = Fail.

Firing Avery Johnson mid-season WEEKS after he wins Coach of the MOnth (in his 2nd? year on the job) = Fail

That franchise would have literally been better off doing NOTHING. Just hiring a decent coach and growing slowly through the draft.

B Lopez, D Favors, D Lillard would be an incredibly talented core. They sacrificed everything just to be a 2nd tier team. Wrecking their cap space and giving up good young players in the process.

That franchise should be a case study for the pitfalls of instant gratification in pro sports management.

And truth be told...I always estimated their acquisition of JJ for marginal players and pick swaps to be one of the savvier moves they made under Prokorov. That's just how terrible the rest of those moves turned out to be.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#586 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:46 pm

I am starting to feel for Noah.
He dislocated his shoulder last night and rushed off the court. His body just appears to be breaking down quickly and I'm curious to see what the future holds for him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#587 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:49 pm

HMFFL wrote:I am starting to feel for Noah.
He dislocated his shoulder last night and rushed off the court. His body just appears to be breaking down quickly and I'm curious to see what the future holds for him.

Likewise. He's been one of the more unique, multi-faceted players of the last 7+ years. And he struggles with injuries all over and all the time.

It's extraordinarily frustrating when your body simply won't do the same things it used to. When every bump and bruise leads to massive injury.

I AM pulling for him. I'd still love t reunite he and Horford here moving forward.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#588 » by jayu70 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Thibs ran those guys too hard when he didn't have to. Even hurt he always played hard.
Bad timing too, since he'll be a FA next season.
He should shut it down for the season but knowing him he probably won't.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#589 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:39 pm

Basketball Insiders projects Hawks could pursue Hassaun Whiteside if AL should leave in Free Agency:

There will be a number of teams that have an obvious need for a player like Whiteside and each will have the spending power to pursue him this upcoming offseason. The Atlanta Hawks, who may lose Al Horford in unrestricted free agency, come to mind.
Here

I can't see it. Under any circumstances.

Especially with Tavares and Tiago onboard.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#590 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I am starting to feel for Noah.

Likewise. He's been one of the more unique, multi-faceted players of the last 7+ years. And he struggles with injuries all over and all the time.

It's extraordinarily frustrating when your body simply won't do the same things it used to. When every bump and bruise leads to massive injury.

I AM pulling for him. I'd still love t reunite he and Horford here moving forward.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Reuniting him with Horford would certainly be something for sure.
I'd like to see it depending on what Noah will cost as an URF.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#591 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:00 pm

SO, Josh Smith has been gifted back to Houston, and the Clippers are even sending money to Houston to pay for his contract. Nothing has changed.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 39s39 seconds ago
Clippers are sending cash to Houston with Josh Smith, covering the balance of his salary. Houston only sending draft rights to Clippers.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#592 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:07 pm

HMFFL wrote:SO, Josh Smith has been gifted back to Houston, and the Clippers are even sending money to Houston to pay for his contract. Nothing has changed.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 39s39 seconds ago
Clippers are sending cash to Houston with Josh Smith, covering the balance of his salary. Houston only sending draft rights to Clippers.

Smoove's career is officially a cautionary tale for young, unskilled players going to bad teams. For stubborn prima donnas who refuse to adjust based on their limitations. For desperate franchises willing to bank everything on stubborn, limited players.

Three franchises have washed their hands of this guy in the last 2 and a half years. The last two actually paying him to go away. :nonono:

I'm embarrassed my favorite team viewed/treated this guy as a franchise caliber player while the whole rest of the league sees him as a pariah not even worth keeping in the locker room.

What a blockhead.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#593 » by MaceCase » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:39 pm

Josh had success in Houston especially in the playoffs and particularly with both Motiejunas and Jones banged up. The trade actually saves money for LAC given that the ~2mil lux tax bill > than the prorated 800k they paid Josh and this opens up Houston to trading either or both Motiejunas and Jones with a capable back up in tow. Extra benefit will be Jeff Van Gundy rants on ESPN broadcasts during Hack-a-Josh/Dwight/Capela.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#594 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:42 pm

2nd year Head Coach David Blatt was fired and replaced with rookie coach (and former Hawk) Tyronne Lue.

Does this change everything?

Is the East suddenly open?

Does it even matter?

The Cleveland Cavaliers fired coach David Blatt Friday, according to Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski. CBS Sports NBA Insider Ken Berger confirmed the news. The move comes just four days after the Cavaliers were blown out by the Golden State Warriors in an embarrassing performance Monday night, and amid questions that the Cavaliers were simply noft equipped to compete for a title with a star-laden roster.
Here

Blatt went 83-40 in the regular season and 14-6 in the playoffs during his season and a half in charge of the Cavs...
Here

That franchise is a trainwreck. :crazy:

I do think this leaves CLE vulnerable this year...and means we could exploit some team that wants to go ALL-IN to defeat the Cavs.

MIA seems like they'd go for it to win one last title before parting ways with Wade.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#595 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:50 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLloydABJ/status/690650473930584064[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/690641896650113024[/tweet]
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#596 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:55 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLloydABJ/status/690645230706630658[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLloydABJ/status/690645525541064704[/tweet]

I don't fault them for making a change. Blatt clearly didn't have the full confidence of the players (especially LeBron).

But this is a move you make mid-summer last year. Bold as it may have been.

Firing him when they are 1st in the East and the favorites to make it back to the Finals...

Seems counter-productive.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#597 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:2nd year Head Coach David Blatt was fired and replaced with rookie coach (and former Hawk) Tyronne Lue.

Does this change everything?

Is the East suddenly open?

Does it even matter?

The Cleveland Cavaliers fired coach David Blatt Friday, according to Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski. CBS Sports NBA Insider Ken Berger confirmed the news. The move comes just four days after the Cavaliers were blown out by the Golden State Warriors in an embarrassing performance Monday night, and amid questions that the Cavaliers were simply noft equipped to compete for a title with a star-laden roster.
Here

Blatt went 83-40 in the regular season and 14-6 in the playoffs during his season and a half in charge of the Cavs...
Here

That franchise is a trainwreck. :crazy:

I do think this leaves CLE vulnerable this year...and means we could exploit some team that wants to go ALL-IN to defeat the Cavs.

MIA seems like they'd go for it to win one last title before parting ways with Wade.

If Hardaway plays at a high level, and Korver finds his shot in the playoffs, maybe we can be that team that slips into the door of the finals? It was shut before, but this move to a first time head coach cracked it open a little bit.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#598 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 pm

ATL Boy wrote:If Hardaway plays at a high level, and Korver finds his shot in the playoffs, maybe we can be that team that slips into the door of the finals? It was shut before, but this move to a first time head coach cracked it open a little bit.

I honestly don't know the answer to this question:

Is it worth us going ALL-IN to get swept by SAS in the NBA Finals?

Anybody remember those NJ nets teams with Jason Kidd that got obliterated by the Lakers in the Finals?

Would that be success?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#599 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#600 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:If Hardaway plays at a high level, and Korver finds his shot in the playoffs, maybe we can be that team that slips into the door of the finals? It was shut before, but this move to a first time head coach cracked it open a little bit.

I honestly don't know the answer to this question:

Is it worth us going ALL-IN to get swept by SAS in the NBA Finals?

Anybody remember those NJ nets teams with Jason Kidd that got obliterated by the Lakers in the Finals?

Would that be success?

For this team, going to the finals would constitute a successful season, no matter what happens when we get there.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.

Return to Atlanta Hawks