ImageImage

Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Hawks)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,260

Re: Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Hawks) 

Post#501 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:50 am

MaceCase wrote:I don't see how Ferry is complicit for not deciding to swap bad deals.......this is after all what this Kings rumor is, swapping one crappy overpaid deal for multiple crappy overpaid deals instead. There is little to no value there to be getting up in arms about.

My biggest issue with D Ferry:

His first acts were to dump JJ and Marvin while attempting to sign Josh to an extension.

If the block head had actually signed that extension, we'd be saddled with Josh Smith at $15 million per year.

Letting josh go was the right move. But he stumbled into it by accident. Not by savvy.

This roster would look a lot different had J Smoove been taking up nearly 1/3 of the team's salary cap this season.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#502 » by MaceCase » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:44 pm

For the billionth time, find me a player that accepted an extension that paid them less than what they got and could have got. I don't know how many times I need to tell people that extensions are incredibly unfavorable for any soon to be free agent with those years of experience and thus offering one is never a serious gesture. The article which you keep bringing up even points this out right here. You have also further demonstrated your ignorance on extensions by proclaiming that they are only applicable to max free agents thus further invalidating any opinion you have on the matter.

Josh is getting paid more in Detroit, this is a fact. There is no spinning or dancing around him making more money than what he was offered in the extension so please, stop trying to hang your hat and running away with something which is a futile jab at best. This is not an accident because clearly he's much smarter than you give him credit for because he can count that 54 is greater than 45. Now of course what this has to do with Josh being currently discussed being traded for a mediocre and overpaid backup stiff and a draft bust? I don't know. If anything the REALITY of all the trades proposed for Josh sure seem to fly in the face of the FANTASY that you and only you continuously spout over him so without the risk of looking like a hypocrite I suggest you give Ferry an apology.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#503 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:49 pm

:o

seriously don't want to argue with you. So let's calm down and take a breath.

I know that Ferry offered Josh $15 million per year on a contract extension. That was a terrible decision.
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#504 » by MaceCase » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:33 pm

Jamaaliver wrote::o

seriously don't want to argue with you. So let's calm down and take a breath.

I know that Ferry offered Josh $15 million per year on a contract extension. That was a terrible decision.

There is one word to describe an NBA player who chooses to sign a contract extension with his current team, rather than testing free agency. That word is not "loyal." It is "foolish."

http://nesn.com/2012/08/benefits-of-fre ... a-players/

“In the Collective Bargaining Agreement, there are limits on what can and can’t be done. Really it’s not that Rondo doesn’t want to accept an extension, but it’s just not financially smart for him to accept it right now,” said Ainge. “We didn’t think he would [sign], but we did tried.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-a ... xtensions/

As a result, it makes almost no sense for any decent player who is not coming off a rookie contract to extend before becoming a free agent, because the player can receive a five-year new contract from his current team.* Even if he signs elsewhere, he can still get a four-year contract with another team rather than only three years had he extended.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/the-u ... -2011-cba/

No, the only person who seems to believe it was a terrible decision.......is you. It was a paper gambit, the lowest risk proposal any GM can make knowing that NBA players and especially their agents that sport JDs and MBAs aren't dumb enough to not be able to count. It was a FANTASTIC decision because it sends a signal to a very mercurial player that "hey, perhaps we value you" and said mercurial player is perhaps more likely to go out and play to the best of his abilities which means *gasp* perhaps his trade value will remain high. Oh look at that, it was indeed an incredibly savvy move but alas it requires a certain intellect unclouded by hate for a player and versed in the CBA to understand that.

Now of course Josh tanked his value later with his Max contract proclamations and publicly getting kicked out of practice to go along with his contract status but Ferry did more to substantiate all of your terrible fantasy trades with that extension offer than you are willing to give him credit for. It's called part of a "negotiation" but alas, you revel in being wrong and will likely respond with "chill" or "why are you so angry" or "you've insulted me with facts and logic in the face of my baseless opinion".
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#505 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Mace...

there is no argument that validates offering Josh Smith a 3 year extension at $15 million per year.

Danny Ferry made a poor decision.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#506 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:18 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:An agreement between Kyle Lowry and the Toronto Raptors is "imminent", according to a source.

Teams, however, cannot speak to free agents from other clubs until after July 1.

"Lowry will be a member of the Heat," said the source, regardless of how the discussions between the current Big about opting out progress.

The Heat would like to transform its Big Three of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh into a Big Four that includes Lowry and Carmelo Anthony instead of Bosh.Via Ric Bucher/Bleacher Report

If MIA gets Lowry and keeps Lebron, I think they maintain their hold on the Eastern Conference.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#507 » by theatlfan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
RealGM Wiretap wrote:An agreement between Kyle Lowry and the Toronto Raptors is "imminent", according to a source.

Teams, however, cannot speak to free agents from other clubs until after July 1.

"Lowry will be a member of the Heat," said the source, regardless of how the discussions between the current Big about opting out progress.

The Heat would like to transform its Big Three of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh into a Big Four that includes Lowry and Carmelo Anthony instead of Bosh.Via Ric Bucher/Bleacher Report

If MIA gets Lowry and keeps Lebron, I think they maintain their hold on the Eastern Conference.

?? Odd quote here. An agreement between Lowry and TOR is "imminent" but Lowry will play elsewhere next season... am I missing something?

As for MIA being able to fit Lowry & Melo in next to LeBron and Wade... we'll see. If Wade take a substantial pay cut, then it can happen, but I won't bother worry about it until then. Also, you'd have to wonder about their D... who mans the middle? At this rate, they'd have to get someone for the Room MLE and that won't buy much.
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#508 » by MaceCase » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:57 am

My deepest and sincere apologies. My report on Lowry and a S&T between the Raptors-Heat is wrong. I should've known better. I could not be more embarrassed. I can't explain why someone would go the lengths "my source" did to set me up, but that's irrelevant. I allowed my zeal to break a story take too much for granted. I'd like to think I'm better than that. Yesterday and today I was not.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... -With-Heat

Bucher has forever been and will forever be a hack.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#509 » by Hawk Eye » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:14 am

MaceCase wrote:
My deepest and sincere apologies. My report on Lowry and a S&T between the Raptors-Heat is wrong. I should've known better. I could not be more embarrassed. I can't explain why someone would go the lengths "my source" did to set me up, but that's irrelevant. I allowed my zeal to break a story take too much for granted. I'd like to think I'm better than that. Yesterday and today I was not.

He just lost it for me..definitely removing him from my twitter feed
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#510 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:24 am

MaceCase wrote:

W0W!

Bucher's reputation and career are officially in the crapper.

Just...wow.
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#511 » by MaceCase » Tue Jul 1, 2014 4:24 am

Poor Larry Drew. I wonder if this is somewhat karma for what Woody claimed he did to him, word was they haven't talked since they worked with each other.

Drew is still going to get paid for the next two seasons but I wouldn't mind him back as an assistant. Bud's biggest weakness in his first season was LD's biggest strength as a coach which was drawing up perfect scoring plays out of timeouts.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#512 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 4, 2014 6:35 pm

The Sacramento Kings agreed to terms on a three-year, fully guaranteed $15 million contract with free-agent point guard Darren Collison, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Collison was Chris Paul's backup during his lone season with the Los Angeles Clippers last season, but averaged 14.8 points and 5.3 assists in 35 games as a starter. The Kings were in desperate need of a veteran true point guard. The fifth-year NBA veteran also finally lands some stability as the Kings will be his fifth team.

This tells me that there was a real opportunity for us to land their #8 pick in the draft by dangling Teague. They stated they wanted an impact veteran. They specifically targeted a veteran PG in Free Agency. we likely would have taken back a little salary to make it work, but we'd have the chance to draft Saric (or Staukas), clear a little more cap space, and continue building through the draft.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#513 » by Kabookalu » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:20 am

Just wanted to drop in here and say that Bebe looked great for us today in Summer League. As advertised he was protecting the rim, but he's a lot more mobile than I thought, and he has such quick hands too. He could be a good pick and roll defender for us starting next season.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36l34MDRWf0[/youtube]
Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,822

Post#514 » by HMFFL » Thu Sep 4, 2014 3:57 pm

Kevin Durants new Nike deal.
What it means for Jay-Z.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kevin-du ... ign=buffer

If Kevin Durant signed for this amount can you imagine how much Lebron James will receive once his contract is up because his revenue doubles Durants.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#515 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:09 am

Nice read on how much New Orleans believes Omer Asik will benefit Anthony Davis this upcoming season.

The acquisition of Asik this summer provides the Pelicans an adequate accessory to help Davis show off his rapidly expanding repertoire on both ends of the floor...the team can move forward buoyed by the knowledge that third-year pro Anthony Davis will not have to carry the inside defensive burden on every possession this season.

During the recently completed FIBA World Cup, Asik exhibited the ability to score the basketball inside while reinforcing his reputation as a polished rebounder and defender.

Asik, 7 feet, 255 pounds, had a 20-rebound, 16-point game against the Ukraine in the tournament, and averaged 9.9 points and 8.4 rebounds for Turkey.

I believe Asik has a good chance to rebuild his reputation with a solid season playing with the best young big man in the league.

My favorite part regarding Asik:

...Asik had articulated to Pelicans coach Monty Williams his desire to stay in the offensive background and do the dirty work; Davis had to hear this offering directly from his new teammate in order to be convinced.

Said Davis, "Coach has probably told you all this before, but [Asik] told coach that he just wanted to rebound and defend...he's going to be a great player for us...He's going to be a big, key part of this team."

I love it. Nothing better than a big bruising Center who WANTS to bang in the post on defense and do the dirty work. I am Super Jealous.

It boggles the mind that in 7 years since AL came aboard, we have never acquired a Center with this kind of mind-set to start next to him. Even when AL asked for it...

As things stand, I don't think there is any chance AL re-signs in Atlanta.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#516 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 8, 2014 3:49 pm

One thing to keep an eye on this season is the re-emergence of Evan Turner as a useful basketball player. He's been rumored to be a key player at the PG position for the Celtics and is already establishing himself as a 'Jack of all Trades' type with the team.

I remember rumors of Ferry being interested in this guy for years and was disappointed we did not make more of an effort to bring him to ATL to stabilize the Hawks bench.

I think he is on the verge of a career resurrection in BOS and, I have he and Omer Asik as my two favorites for the Comeback Player of the Year Award. (That's still a thing, right?)

His first stat line of pre-season: 15 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists.

on a team with a good coach and a strong offensive identity, he should really thrive.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#517 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:04 am

Wizards' Bradley Beal to miss significant time with broken left wrist

UPDATE: Washington Wizards shooting guard Bradley Beal has "a non-displaced fracture of the scaphoid bone in his left (non-shooting) wrist that will require surgery," according to a press release from the Wizards at 6:23 p.m.

The path to our first division title in 20+ years just got a little easier.

Wizards won't fall apart as long as Wall is healthy & effective. But they won't be nearly as formidable without Beal.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#518 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:44 pm

The New Orleans Pelicans will not exercise the fourth-year player option on Austin Rivers, according to sources.

Rivers was the 10th overall pick to the Pelicans in the 2012 NBA Draft.

Rivers has been nothing but a disappointment since he came into the league. I remember thinking he was coming into the league too early, but never could have imagined he'd struggle as much as he has.

With that said, he still has potential at 22 years old and has great size at 6'4" 200 pounds.

Coach Bud's system seems to be very PG friendly and he's already worked miracles turning Mack from NBA vagabond to actual contributor.

Anyone think he might be worth a look as a long term project? Could a change of scenery, veteran teammates and an efficient offensive system be enough to turn around his career?
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#519 » by Hawk Eye » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:33 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
The New Orleans Pelicans will not exercise the fourth-year player option on Austin Rivers, according to sources.

Rivers was the 10th overall pick to the Pelicans in the 2012 NBA Draft.

Rivers has been nothing but a disappointment since he came into the league. I remember thinking he was coming into the league too early, but never could have imagined he'd struggle as much as he has.

With that said, he still has potential at 22 years old and has great size at 6'4" 200 pounds.

Coach Bud's system seems to be very PG friendly and he's already worked miracles turning Mack from NBA vagabond to actual contributor.

Anyone think he might be worth a look as a long term project? Could a change of scenery, veteran teammates and an efficient offensive system be enough to turn around his career?

I always felt this way as well. I feel like he ranks about the same level of Jimmer Freddette on the "Bust-O-Meter" (yes I did just coin that phrase and will make it a new term on the boards lol). Not the biggest bust ever but nevertheless a bust considering his hype and where he was drafted. I'd love to see him land in LA with his dad Doc. What's amazing is the athletic ability he possesses. His explosiveness and first step is a real beauty. Not the highest hops but not bad either. More times than not, someone who has a great amount of athletic qualities can be coached.
Which leads me to believe either he is un-coachable or he just doesn't put in the time working on his game. If be okay seeing the hawks take him in (for the right price) but I just don't see where he would get any minutes.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#520 » by azuresou1 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:17 pm

Austin Rivers' problem is that despite having a great first step he just can't finish. He also can't consistently shoot at an NBA level either. It's disappointing since when you look at him he has that 'wow' factor which makes you think he SHOULD be special.

Return to Atlanta Hawks